Yugo M-48 Mauser

Smokey Joe

Am thinking of buying one. Don't want the issue equipment, just the gun. Don't need pretty wood. DO want mechanically perfect--and accurate--gun. And matching #'s are nice. (I'm a shooter,not a museum curator!) Now: Questions for y'all: Where is a reliable supplier for this. What are they really worth?:confused:

Thanx in advance for the help. TFL has been really good in the past. ala Martha Stewart: It's a goood thing.

swampyMO

Joe,

Your Mileage May Vary..... but here is my M48-A that I bought from AIM Surplus back in July.

www.swampworks.com/SwampysStuff-1.html

The offered ondition on these milsurps varies from time to time and from supplier to supplier. AIM was out of the M48-A's for a while but is now offering them again. You should probably call them and ask about the condition of the current batch they are selling.

Cole's has a good rep for nice Yugo's as well. I've also heard good things about the ones from Wholesale Guns & Ammo.

Best to all,
Swampy

straightShot

Yep, AIM sells M-48As, but they had them listed as M-48s. I'm very happy with mine.

With a C&R license, you can get them shipped right to your house.

straightShot

saands

One more comment about AIM ... if you ask them about the condition, they will tell it to you like it is ... no bull ... my experience is that they lean a little toward the hyper-critical side.

Saands

DougB

I've also had very good luck with Aim Surplus - although there are other suppliers as well. If you REALLY don't care about the wood or accessories, you might call and see if they can give you a deal on one that has a dinged up stock and/or is missing the bayonet. But even if they can't, I think their regular prices are very good.

Doug

I had great luck with AIM as well. I will buy from them again soon. I want a Bulgarian Makarov but their supply dried up pretty fast.

I looked at their site, and it doesn't have much on it. Are they in an inventory slump?

You'll have good luck with AIM. They seem to pay attention to detail. That pleases a grouchy German.

"A grouchy German is a sour kraut."

brandon_h3

Another vote for AIM here. Got my Yugo 24/47 in "very good" condition, however the bluing is 98% and the barrel rifling is immaculate. Stock has 2 knicks, however this rifle should have been rated excellent. Good thing since I ordered an "excellent" gun and received one in a box marked "very good." They also shipped very fast. All matching numbers on the gun.

James K

Member In Memoriam
I don't know where he got it, but I got one from my dealer for $150 brand new.

If you want to work on it, you should know that the Model 48 is not a standard Mauser Model 98 action; the receivers are different and the bolts will not interchange. In some cases, the reworked K98k's or VZ24's might be better.

Jim

James K

Member In Memoriam
I don't know where he got it, but I got one from my dealer for $150 out the door, brand new.

If you want to work on it, you should know that the Model 48 is not a standard Mauser Model 98 action; the receivers are different and the bolts will not interchange. In some cases, the reworked K98k's or VZ24's might be better.

Jim

saands

Jim ... Do you know if the bolt/firing pin springs are interchangeable ... I had a several misfires from mine with the same ammo that my k98k never fails to fire ...

Thanks,
Saands

James K

Member In Memoriam
The firing pins can't be identical because the M48 bolt is about 1/4 inch shorter than the 98 bolt. The 98 firing pin spring cannot be used unaltered in the M48 because it goes solid before the cocking piece can be put on. I would guess a 98 spring could be used if a few turns were taken off it, but I am not sure that would solve the problem.

Jim

swampyMO

saands,

Since you bought your M48, have you completely disassembled the bolt & striker assembly to clean all the grease out of it???

Wondering...

Swampy

saands

Jim ... Thanks ... I assumed that the headspace was correct as the rifle came in what looked to be "as issued" with the bolt and receiver #'s matching. I will check that before returning to the range. FWIW, the dent on a fired cartridge was quite substantial.

SwampyMO ... Yep ... this one met with Mr. Alcohol and Mr. Toothbrush and is currently gunk-free. Just a trace of CLP.

Thanks,
Saands

:confused: :confused:

I disassemble my bolt every time I fire it. I had a bad experience in a Remington 700 ML when I didn't disassemble the bolt after shooting black powder. I shoot corrosive ammo in my Yugo, so I don't want a repeat performance.

dwil453

Mauser Source

Check out CDNN Investments in Abilene, TX. They've been straight shooters with me on M48 and K98 deals - they have lots of them, and a brand new 50 yr. old M48 un-issued will cost you around $170 tops.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Hi, Saands,

You can't compare the dent in a fired round with that in one that does not fire. The reason is that when the round is fired, pressure from the primer itself as well as pressure from the main charge will push the primer back to form itself around the firing pin, making what looks like a lot deeper penetration than it is.

Off hand, I don't see any reason the Model 48 would give light blows. It seems to have plenty of power, but mine has a slightly flattened firing pin tip. I have had no problems but if I did, I might round that off to look more like the normal Mauser firing pin tip.

Jim

Gary H

Bought mine at Big 5 Sporting Goods. Looks unissued for $150 with all the extras..like I need a bayonet.