Yugo AK47 upper foreend length differences?

gfen

In a past thread, I asked about a picatinny rail for an AK, preferably the receiver cover style. Everyone said "buy a foreend mount," and then pointed out what was widely considered the best, and I considered above my price range.

So, I found a cheaper model. I'd be really happy with it, even, if only it seemed to fit right.

Its an upper and lower set, the lower matches up nicely with the wood lower its replacing. I have to cut some of the plastic out to get it to mate, but I expect that sort of thing.

The upper, on the other hand, is way off in length.

I'm putting this on a Yugoslavian underfolder M70 model (M70B2, I think? A2?).

Breaking the rifle down, the orignal wood upper is about 1/2" longer than the replacement unit I've purchased.

As it is, I haven't gotten the gas tube out of the upper yet, but even with that discrepancy, I can't imagine that the end plates somehow compromise the missing length.

When I put it together, are the foreends expected to just not line up right, somehow leaving extra length at the front or the back, or is it that the Yugo M70 has a different length of foreend set up? I've looked at pictures of the Yugos and standard AKs online, and I don't appear to see a size difference, so I'm a bit baffled.

ATW525

The M70 has a different length forend. The only people I know catering to the Yugo off the top are my head are Ultimak.

gfen

Oh, heck.

This means in a minute someone should be along shortly to offer a "Nyah-hah, told ya so." :)

Last edited:

gfen

All things considered, I'm happy with my $30 polymer (sounds classier than plastic, eh?) upper from some other source, I just didn't realize the M70 was different.

Maybe 'coz I didn't retain my own thread? Or maybe no one posted it in there...Hold up...Damnit. My fault, I didn't specify it was a Yugo M70, matter of fact my exact description was, "my (Polish?) AK-47 underfolder."

At least I didn't ignore the obvious advice, and I guess I get a spare upper and lower forearm for the next AK I buy.