Yugo accuracy problem

WeedWacker

Not sure if this is the right place for this question but here goes.

I have a Yugo 59/66 in a Tapco Fusion stock. Still has the bayo (going to be removed shortly) and the grenade launcher attachment I want to replace with a tapco look alike muzzle brake. I put a Tapco tri-rail weaver base on the rear with a scope shield that mounts under the rails. Last time I was at the range I had a Simmons 3-9x30 (older model) and shot a group of about 2-3" at 50 yards. I wasn't expecting much so I adjusted to compensate. I am holding center of the group now but only the first set of shots was under 10" (note I was using wolf in the black box). So I removed the tri-rail and am using iron sights now but I would really like to know the true capabilities of my SKS utilizing a scope. I have a tactical 4x that I want to use but it won't fit in the case with the pistol grip on :p so I have to either transport it without the case or find a bigger case.

But back on topic (started to hijack my own thread for a sec there). I need to find a way to make this mroe accurate. Is there anything I can do to accurize this rifle? Maybe a better scope mount? (I will post pictures later. At work right now and camera/gun at home)

chris in va

If you have the scope mount on the rear cover, that's most of your problem right there. It will move around a lot under recoil.

Honestly, you probably want to just get a TechSight peep for the rear and skip using optics. It'll just frustrate you otherwise.

famine

you could get a new set of trigger springs made by wolf, I did this and there is information on the internet for replacing these. Be forwarned the hammer will do a number on your thumb if your not careful, and the trigger assembly is a pain to get apart and back together but it can help a rough trigger pull. I can't remember what site I got the springs from but they were fairly inexpensive (<$20)

Famine

MacGille

cut the garbage off the barrel and recrown it. You will find that your group size will decrease. The Yugo came with a grenade launcher which was removed on import and a cobbled up muzzle brake installed. The rifle does NOT need a muzzle brake and they will throw the bullet off.

I installed a fiber stock and a leapers scope on a recoil housing mount, glass bedded the action and free floated the barrel. I cut the bayonet mount off and the barrel 1/2" forward of the front sight. Recrowned the muzzle and now I have a 2 MOA SKS.:)

Darren007

The Yugo came with a grenade launcher which was removed on import and a cobbled up muzzle brake installed.

Only on the ones sold in California.

I say leave it exactly as it is. Why does everyone expect these to be benchrest guns?? 3"-4" groups @ 50 yards is more than acceptable. And I say 4"-6" groups at 100 yards is good as well.

WeedWacker

except it's not doing anything near 8". And my mount has screws that basically fix the rear end plate to the lower reciever. you need pictures maybe to understand completely. I will take care of that as soon as I find the cursed camera... :mad:

P.S. check this out

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=107782

targetsks2.jpg