Yugo 59/66 SKS Rifle: price too good to be true?

chris in va

I had a Yugo for a while, even put William's Fire Sights on it. Once I shouldered a Saiga though, I put it up for sale soon as I got home.

There's just too much crap on the Yugo for my liking, and heavy for a 'carbine'.

Paid $250 at a local gun store for the SKS, about $275 at a gun show for the Saiga.

alan

The quoted price represents a fairly significant increase over earlier prices, but then look at Russian steel cased ammunition, 7.62 x 39mm Not all that long ago, one could mail order a case (1000 rounds), have it delivered and get some change from a $100 bill. Last time I noticed it was about $160 plus shipping, which looks like more than a 50% increase in toto.

Limeyfellow

It is considered a carbine, as it is a smaller, lighter version of the SKS-41 in 7.62x54r, which was itself a smaller version of the PTRS in 14.5x114mm, so we must call it a carbine, for that what it is.

$150-200 seems to be the going price for a Yugo SKS nowadays.

You can stick on the Tech-sight TS200 which is really a fine improvement.

The barrel length is 22.05 inches on a Yugo 59/66 and a total length of the carbine at 43.9 inches. Weighs in 9.4Ibs. They can be made into a really fine shooter with a proper bedding, a good trigger cleanup and using decent ammo.

The a1 variant has a nice tritium or phrosphous night sight on them, depending on the year they are built.

ISC

I have had more problems with Yugo SKSs than any other rifles I've owned except for the MAS 36s I had that were rechambered for .308.

MTMilitiaman

I agree that carbine is kind of a stretch given its barrel length and heft. But the thing is built like a brick sh...um, outhouse. Trying to make one quit is like trying to break an anvil. And with TechSights, mine will shoot ~2 MOA with cheap Wolf ammo. That's not bad, considering I have about $250 invested in the rifle, bought in unissued condition, and the sights.

I don't mind the stuff on the barrel. I kinda like telling liberals I have a semi-automatic rifle with a grenade launcher on it. That said, I could live without it too.

Someone else once called the Yugo SKS "a poor man's M14," and while somewhat of a stretch, I will admit they have vaguely similar feels to them, and that isn't all that bad of an analogy.

darestie

I've had my Yugo for around a year now. No complaints. I think I paid $125 for a shooters grade, and since then I have refinished the stock, polished the bolt carrier, and re-blued the barrel. It looks good and is still a great plinker, even though 7.62X39 is getting to be a little pricey.

ne76950

I remember a few years back when you could get these NIB for $95-110 at the gun shows. I thought I was getting ripped off when I bought my new one for $150 after tax. I would also be very carefull about buying a Yugo. Check the barrell out carefully before you walk out with it.

MacGille

I cut the garbage off the front of my Yugo about 1/2" in front of the sight. I cut the bayonet lugs off and polished up the underside of the barrel. Then I put on an aftermarket stock and glassbedded it. Then I put a Leapers scope mount and scope on it. It shoots 2" groups at 100 yd now. It was a lot of work and may have reduced the price of the rifle, but its mine and I like it. I also camouflage painted the thing and I get a lot of looks at the range.:)

alan

Limeyfellow:

Looking at the age of the Yugoslav SKS's, I suspect that the night sights have long since gone to their earthly rewards, half life and that sort of thing. They were made about 50 years ago.

They do seem to have been quite well built, all forged steel, though if I were buying one now, I would check the barrel corrosion. The Yugoslav barrels and chambers are NOT chromed, as AK's were. I suppose that Chinese and Russian SKS's were chromed. The ammunition used in earlier years was corrosive primed.

Hey MT, I agree on the SKS.:D I bought mine about 18 months ago for $150, in excellent condition. Its a bulletproof, tank of a rifle that is more than accurate enough to get the job done. Its a blast to shoot and I really enjoy it, although holding 9.5 lbs gets tiring after a while, still a helluva lot of fun though.:D

detrod

Love my Yugo

Bought mine a few yrs ago and i luv it!! Dont bother w/ 20 or 30 mags, they are a joke just stick w/the box.