You're going on a 1000+ road trip, what do you take?

shoop66

I would take:
-A two way radio, to make distress calls
-A 5 gallon jug of water and 2 1 liter bottles of water
-A trauma kit and a survival first aid kit
-Flare gun and box of 20 flares
-Sleeping bag, pillow & therma rest
-Military style 5 gallon metal gas can
-$250-$300 for food, gas, towing, etc.
-Rations and dehydrated canned food
-Large duffel bag to carry must haves to near by town, etc.
-Large Mag-Lite with case of extra batteries
-Pair of waterproof steel toed boots
-Extra clothes
-Tire iron, tire jack and donut tire
-Motor oil and oil filter
-Mossberg 500 Cruiser with pistol grip with 100 slug shells
-Smith & Wesson model 21 with 200 rounds of .44 Special

What would you take?

Last edited:
Wow. Thats a lot of stuff just to go 1000 miles. Heck, in Texas you can drive that far and still be in the state.:D I figure I might carry an extra flashlight and some other odds and ends but I probably wouldnt take theat much inventory. Extra mags, some tools mabey?Dont think I'd be needing a flare gun but its good to be prepared though.

B.N.Real

My wife,a well maintained car,a membership to AAA,a charged up cell phone,one of my handguns(carryed legally),two of my credit cards(gas card and buying card) and the hope that I really enjoy just getting away from my job and my house for the trip.

I've done it before and I'll do it again.

It's alot of fun not even having a trip plan-just seeing where the car and the gas takes you-with a map for backup just in case you get a little displaced. :)

I'm a anti-Garmin kind of guy if you have'nt guessed.:D

If I can't get somewhere fifty miles away with a roadmap,I might as well stay home.

hoytinak

Going from Ft. Bragg, NC to Amarillo, TX (1500 miles) home on leave alot (when I say alot, I could drive it blindfolded) I took nothing more than what I would driving around town...my CCW, spare tire/highlift jack, flashlight, tow rope, a blanket and tools. I even drove it straight through 99% of the time only to stop for fuel, it's only a 22 hour drive straight through. :)

Stevie-Ray

I've done 650 with far less than that, ending up in the Porcupine Mountains of northern Michigan. Firearm was a Colt Delta Elite, 2 charged phones with 12V plug, snacks, gallon jug water, first-aid kit, emergency CB radio, blanket, 2 working flashlights, roadmap, and a good spare. Vehicle was a 96 Lincoln Mark VIII.

Black_Sheep

That's a lot of stuff for a 1000 mile road trip unless you are going to a REALLY remote area...

Must haves?
Atlas
Jumper cables*
A "real" jack and lug wrench*
Cell phone and charger*
Credit card
First Aid kit*
Multi-tool*
Flashlight*
Extra glasses and/or prescriptions if needed
Appropriate clothing for the climate
* always keep these items in my truck

Extras:
Cooler with beverages
Munchies
CD's or iPod

Be careful traveling with weapons and 800 rounds of ammo, getting pulled over could turn into a real adventure...

Lavid2002

Holy crap....If theres a place where I can go where being prepared means bringing 300 shotgun slug shells, and 500 pistol rounds...IM NOT GOIN! lol

You list reminds me of the girl who wanted to kill that one woman in texas. She drove from texas to FL wearing diapers so she wouldnt have to stop or something....crazy. Anyone remember this?

waudcutter

I just went on a 4,000 mile round trip and I took the following:

Buck 110
Buck 119
One pair of jeans
10 pair underwear
5 shirts
10 pair socks
300 Win Mag and 40 rounds ammo
.270 Winchester and 20 rounds ammo
Sleeping Bag
Compass
Metal Match
Binoculars
Leatherman Multi tool
Camera
Sea Bag
Game Hide camo jacket and pants.
Carhart camo jacket
UnderArmour pants and shirt
Danner boots
Nike sneakers
tent
ground pad
The Magnificent Seven DVD
In To Thin Air paperback book

I couldn't bring a handgun as I was going in to Canada. ;)

Black_Sheep

You list reminds me of the girl who wanted to kill that one woman in texas. She drove from texas to FL wearing diapers so she wouldnt have to stop or something....crazy. Anyone remember this?

IIRC it was a female astronaut that was going after her lovers other woman. I don't recall if her actual intentions were ever made public but it's logical to assume she was going to eliminate the competition.

This place really needs a crazy smiley...

300magman

OMG!....what are you possibly thinking you need all that for. Seriously you must enlightned me, how could a little day trip like that ever require 2 guns and enough ammo to start WW3 ?? Not to mention all the other supplies.

I recently travelled 6000 miles with nothing more than a book of maps, one change of cloths, my wallet, and a camera. Took me 5 days, if I had driven the whole way perhaps I would have taken a few more preparatory items, but the first half of the trip was on a greyhound, the second half I drove a truck back

heyduke

On this one I can speak from experience.

-Smith & Wesson model 21 with 500 rounds of .44 Special

You forgot one thing with that pistol and ammo.

A lock box to safely store and lock your gun and ammo depending on what state line you cross.