Your thoughts on Sig Sauer?

Firepower!

I have Sig P226 9mm made in West Germany. I have used it quite a bit. I had bought it used some time back. The handgun never failed in terms of malfunction. Although, I dont feel hundred percent proficient when using it for targets, it still is reliable for combat/SD/HD purpose.

That said, I think the price of Sig Saur compared to other manufacturers is a little too much since they dont seem to do much more than for example, HK and Glock. Thus, I am neither here nor there on Sig issue.

What are your opinions or experiences with Sig? If you like them I would like to know what exactly makes you prefer them over other handguns, and if you do not like them I would like to know why.

Thanks.

***this needs to be in semi auto section.

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
I've owned a few (a couple of P-228's, a P-226, a "Browning BDA", a GSR, a P-230 or two, maybe more I'm forgetting...) and they all worked fine and shot well.

That said, I eventually sold them all so I could buy more 1911's and S&W revolvers because I realized that's what I like best. Nothing wrong with a SIG, though, if that's how you roll...

Firepower!

Tamara: of all the Sigs you owned which did you think was the better than the rest? Or prehaps I should ask how did you rate the P226?

Spenser

A big Sig fan, here. They fit my hand well, and I tend to shoot them, along with a 1911 style, better than anything else that I've picked up.

I have always liked the 229's, in both .40 and 9mm. They're nice and small, and perform well.

I've never had a 228, 226 or any of the polymer Sig jobs.

The 220 is just a classic .45, and used ones are available at bargain prices.

To me, the best value in handguns right now is a 225/P6. They are very fine pistols for the money.

gc70

What are your opinions or experiences with Sig? If you like them I would like to know what exactly makes you prefer them over other handguns, and if you do not like them I would like to know why.

The operating controls fit me. My hands are not built to manipulate slide-mounted decockers or safeties. The Sig decocker mounted on the frame behind the trigger works for me. The HK decocker/manual safety mounted on the frame in the 1911 position also works for me (as do the safeties on 1911s). It is a bonus that Sigs and HKs are also very high quality guns.

sserdlihc

I have just recently had a chance to shoot a P229 Elite Stainless. I put about a 100 rounds thru it and really enjoyed it!!! The craftmanship and attention to detail is off the charts! IMHO. Hopefully, I will have one fall of next year.

wnycollector

I own 3 SIGs (P6, P226 and P220). All are the old West German models. They fit my hand well, they are accrurate and reliable and I cant imagine selling them!

BigJimP

The Sig represents durabilty, fit, finish, accuracy - well made internally - pretty good triggers ( they're not as good as 1911's ) but overall on the Sig there is nothing not to like, in my opinion. I own 226's in 9mm and .40 / a 239 in .40 - their single stack carry weapon / and an X-Five in .40 . They are the only DA/SA weapons I will buy / and I think you get a lot of gun for the money. The remainder of my semi-autos are 1911's - Wison Combat, Les Baer, Ed Brown, Kimber etc.

Yes, they're more than a Glock - but a Glock is a disposable weapon in my view ( inaccurate, sloppy chambers, horrible trigger, etc ). H&K is a pretty good gun / but not as well made as a Sig in my opinion.

I've shot a variety of Glocks - and the only one remotely acceptable is the model 34 or 35 in their competition level - and even that's a stretch. I think H&K, Beretta are similar in terms of quality - and a big step up from Glock.

I am pretty picky...

...and I absolutely love my Sig P229 Elite Stainless.

It's combination of flawless performance, solid construction, and distinctive lines makes it one of my absolute favorites.

I usually hate light rails on pistols but on the P229 it looks very good. It blends in nicely with the over-all design and looks like it belongs there.

here is a range report I did on mine.
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283300&highlight=P229+elite

SigP229Elite.jpg

FALPhil

IMO, they are overpriced for what you get, as are HKs. Especially when compared to, say, CZ. I let mine go so I could buy more CZs and 1911s.

B. Lahey

I picked up a P6 not long ago. Great pistol for a great price. Now, if I could just find a set of wood grips that didn't cost more than the gun, I would be set.

They build nice guns.

Homerboy

Had a 226 9MM and it was a good gun. My other autos are Berettas and S&W's, so the manual of arms on the SIG was backwards for me. I sold it for another Beretta. I DO think they are overpriced, just like HK's are. The SIG and the Glock aren't in the same league, so I can understand them being more expensive, but the Beretta is every bit the gun (if not more) and is considerably less then the 226 was.

Just my opinion.

BanditSRT8

Here's how I look at it.

Sig makes a very well engineered, high quality pistol with top notch fit and finish. Those who claim Sigs are overpriced tend to forget about engineering and fit/finish when considering costs.

They are reliable, and very accurate.

I have owned 6 or 7 Sigs and loved them, but my needs differ from what Sig offers, so I do not buy them anymore.

I do not like the overly fat grip on most models. I do not like the overly sloppy triggers. While their triggers are SMOOTH, they are very creepy, and have too much overtravel along with a reset that's way too long.

I don't like the crazy-high bore axis that creates a stronger than normal muzzle flip. Compared to similar guns, they flip a bit more.

Thanks to PBP I feel that I must own a stainless 229 Elite (damn you) just for the beauty of the gun.

I will own an X-Five because it is damn near perfection in a match grade 9mm. The SA trigger makes a huge difference.

So the quality is there, and if the grip fitsyour hand... you can't go wrong. No one can knock a Sig for quality, reliability, or accuracy... (well, except the polymer series).

Those who claim Sigs are overpriced tend to forget about engineering and fit/finish when considering costs.
Yes, people seem to forget a lot of things when considering cost. They also like to pretend that their Kel-Tec is a high quality firearm. :D

JZ06

I had a west german p226 as my first 9mm pistol. Big gun, deadly reliable and accurate. Never had a problem with it.

I also had a 239 9mm that was equally good. Fit me better being a little smaller. Had some minor teething problems. Sent back to Sig, they fixed it up and sent it back to me within a week and a half.

I'd buy another pistol of theirs for sure.

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
BanditSRT8 said:
Those who claim Sigs are overpriced tend to forget about engineering and fit/finish when considering costs.

Those who go on about SIG's "fit and finish" often don't realize that SIG Sauer pioneered many cost-cutting measures in handgun manufacture, such as stamped sheet metal slides with breechblocks held in by roll pins...

And they sure did pass those savings on to the customer! :D