Your pet 257 Roberts load?

slammedsi

I just purchased my wife a ruger hawkeye in 257 Roberts. I already load for 257 weatherby and 25 wssm. Seeing how I have a lot of 120gr swift a-frames and 100gr tsx. I would like to work a load using one of the two bullets, and RL-22 as I have over ten lbs. Would any of you have a load for one of the two bullets mentioned and rl22? I'm open to any other loads for the bob that yall might recommend. Thanks.

black mamba

The very slow burning rate of RL-22 suggests the 120 gr bullets would be best for this powder. The Alliant guide shows 44 gr of RL-22 as max with the Speer 120 gr BTSP giving 2785 fps.

Start 10% below that at 40 gr of powder and work up in .5 (1/2) grain increments.

slammedsi

Thanks BM, I guess i need to expand my Reloading books. I only have 3 at the moment. I scanned through the alliant web page and didn't see what i was looking for.. So again thanks for the help.

jepp2

When I look at developing a load, the bullet is the most expensive component. For my 257 Rbt and 25-06 loads I prefer 100 grain bullets. That said, your powder choice is too slow.

I know I am not giving you the answer you requested, but since I favor IMR powder, 4064, 4320 and 4350 are my preferred burn rates. Using a powder that isn't suited for the application is a false economy.

Using a Sierra 100 gr. Spitzer bullet loaded to around 2900 fps I get excellent results to 350 yards on deer and pronghorn. The whitetail I tagged yesterday was another example of excellent performance.