your opinions of 460 rowland and 400 cor-bon

shoop66

Hey, i was reading about this in the book of the 1911, and they looked nice, but i'd like some user feedback and range reports, price, reliability, best gun to fit them with, etc. I'd also like to know ease of finding brass, bullet, dies and reloading data for the 2 rounds. any pictures would be appreciated too. would this be a good round for a newer shooter? what's the best use? hunting or target? I don't carry, so please dont go into carryability or anything else. Home defense doesnt matter either. I may hunt, so please tell me how well 460 or 400 would work hunting. thanks guys, tom

Socrates

http://www.realguns.com/archives/106.htm

The 460 Rowland case is longer than the max standard 45 ACP (L-R 45 ACP, 45 ACP +P, 45 Super, 460 Rowland), 0.960" versus 0.898". This increase is not intended to increase case capacity, as the maximum overall cartridge length specification is the same for all at 1.275".
I did call Starline and was told the Rowland is made from the same basic cup as the Super and they should be essentially the same in the web/case head area. I was told over 0.050" at the web should be fine and that the Rowland was heat treated slightly different than the 45 ACP cases. Maybe my Starline Super brass is old and thicker than current production?

Clark Custom Guns addresses the increase pressure of the 460 Rowland in several ways, the first by limiting 1911 conversion candidates to only quality firearms. As of this writing, this includes:

Colt Government Model
Colt 1991A1 Government
Colt Gold Cup Government
Colt Gold Cup Commander
Colt Enhanced 1911 Government
Colt Enhanced 1911 Commander
Kimber 1911 Government
Norinco 1911 Government
Springfield Armory 1911-A1 Government

http://www.realguns.com/archives/107.htm
http://www.realguns.com/loads/460Rowland.htm

Summary

My intention is not to present the 460 Rowland in a negative light; quite the opposite. Conditions I noted are all minor and items routinely encountered in adjusting to a new performance firearm. The 460 Rowland is an interesting cartridge with a lot of potential. It is very accurate, very powerful and reliable with good ammo. The Clark Custom Gun's kit is nicely made and well thought out by people who obviously know what they are doing. From a cost standpoint, it is a value, both kit and finished guns and ammo.

The above review mirrors my own research, if not experience. I found that I can get the same results, nearly, by changing the timing on a strong gun, and using a tight chambered, fully supported gun, like a Detonics, I can get 45 Super level, or more, loads with stock brass.
I find 45 Super functions well and easily in my guns, and, I don't need a compensator hanging off my guns...

Webleymkv

I wouldn't bother with .400 Corbon as it really offers nothing that you can't get with 10mm. While 10mm isn't the most common thing in the world, it's a lot easier to find than .400 Corbon.