your favorite muzzle brake?

seansean1444

hey guys seeing what muzzle breaks you find most effective. looking for a new break on my 16.25 223. looking at a surefire but open to sugestions. im currrentyl running a standard a2 break

JD0x0

Favorite muzzle break...
Rifle.jpg

Favorite muzzle brake...
SAI-COM-308-D.jpg

:D

Brake

The one that's in a drawer then later re-sold, and not on my rifle - hate them. :)

A flash hider on the other hand....

JD, that top one is my favorite "break", too.... lol.

shaunpain

I have a YHM Phantom 5C2 on my AR that works just fine and looks really cool with the aggressive cuts on the front. It serves as both a brake and flash hider and seems to me a very simple design but made very well, and get this, absurdly affordable. I'm seeing them for around $25. They are highly rated, as is everything YHM usually, and just makes my AR look amazing. The hot pokers at the end are just a bonus. Good luck!

Jim243

im currrentyl running a standard a2 break

Not sure about this, but I don't think an A2 is considered a break, more of a flash suppressor, but I do like mine on my AR.

Jim

NWCP

I don't use a muzzle break on either of my ARs. A vortex flash suppressor works fine for me. I had one on my RRA, but I didn't find much advantage to using it as far as accuracy and time to target reacquisition. It did however annoy shooters to my left and right at the range as well as add to the overall noise level. JMHO

KROIL

I have a Troy Claymore on my AR15. It directs the sound and blast forward. And its good lookin too.

Kevin_d77

I bought a Troy Medieval only because I didn't know what I wanted so I just went with something. It's pretty loud and lets out a decent blast but I have nothing else to really compare to since this is my first and only rifle

Willie Lowman

I have a PWS that came one my SCAR. It worked great as far as reducing recoil goes. It also worked great at increasing the muzzle blast to an obnoxious level. I swapped it out for an AAC Brakeout. It isn't as blasty and it usually has a suppressor on it.

FrankenMauser

I have a YHM Phantom 5C2 on my AR that works just fine and looks really cool with the aggressive cuts on the front. It serves as both a brake and flash hider and seems to me a very simple design but made very well, and get this, absurdly affordable. I'm seeing them for around $25
Yep. You can find them pretty cheap.
I picked one up last week for $18 through JSE Surplus.

madmo44mag

On my long range AR I have a DPMS Muzzle Brake Levang Linear and love it.
It puts the muzzle blast out front and keeps muzzle rise way down.
The rifle kinda pushes back instead of up.

On my other AR's I have GRG Model 4/15 .223 1/2x28 Competition Short Break and I love them as well but anyone on either side will hate them.
They will blow a full water bottle of the bench located 3 ft away
So at a bench with other shooters beside you they get hit with a lot of gas and blow back.

dgludwig

I like the brake that came with my Savage Model 116 SE rifle-you can turn it on or off with a twist of the wrist.

MarkCO

The two best on the market for keeping the muzzle flat and not a lot of increased blast are the Dynamic Resistance and the Seekins. Actually designed by people who understand gas dyanmics and they are very neutral. The Gas Hog will be right there as a neutral comp as well, but it is not on the market yet.

If you are on a Budget, the Miculek is one of the better ones and the Nordic Corvette is not bad at all, but loud. Both are tuneable.

Linear comps are really not much more than a thread protector.

I would not give a nickel for a few mentioned on here, especially when the word "effective" is asked for by the OP.

FrankenMauser

I would not give a nickel for a few mentioned on here, especially when the word "effective" is asked for by the OP.
Ah, but the OP did not specify to what degree (or type) of effectiveness he was referring. Specificity was absent.

Given the brevity of the post, and some ambiguity in it, there was room for more than just "the best of the best". ;)

ronl

I have a BWA X-comp on my varmint rifle that works really well. It really makes getting back on target much easier.

Damon555

I've employed 3 different types of brakes.

The Vais I had on a 243 Magnum research lone eagle

p_927150257_1.jpg

It worked pretty good but wasn't quite as effective as the other 2 I've used.

This is the JP Bennie Cooley Tactical brake that I have on my LR-308

570743.jpg

It works very well and I'd recommend it to anyone wanting a more traditional looking brake.

This is by far the most effective brake that I've used. It's a JP Recoil eliminator.

743365.jpg

I had it on a 30-338 that I had built years ago and it was just amazing at reducing recoil. Obviously it's not very conventional but it sure worked well.

All of these devices did what they were intended to do. The down side is the noise. Very loud and I never shot them without hearing protection. The guns were all used strictly for target shooting so the noise really wasn't an issue. They could easily be taken off to use for hunting.