• 600 yards

Votes: 16 25.0%
  • 1000 yards

Votes: 12 18.8%
  • It depends on other factors

Votes: 6 9.4%

• Total voters

TXAZ

Without my trying to put limitations and qualifications, what is "Long Range Shooting" according to your definition.
If your definition is dependent upon something other than just distance, please share that with us.

Wyosmith

To me, with enter fire rifles, "long rage shooting" is anything from 500 yards to 2000 yards.

"Long rage shooting" with a handgun is from 75 yards to 250 yards.

"Long rage shooting" with a muzzleloader (firing round balls) is anything from 150 to 300 yards

TXAZ

Wyosmith scared us when he commented:

To me, with enter fire rifles, "long rage shooting" is anything from 500 yards to 2000 yards.

"Long rage shooting" with a handgun is from 75 yards to 250 yards.

"Long rage shooting" with a muzzleloader (firing round balls) is anything from 150 to 300 yards

Remind me not to pi** you off Wyo! :) , particularly at 2000 yards!

Screwball

Over 250 yards... I can do up to that with my AR/Aimpoint. After that, rather magnification and/or a larger round.

JoeSixpack

depends on the gun.. but in general I'd say anything over 400yards with a rifle.
that wasn't a option so I picked 500

1-200 short, 200-400 med, 400+ long

old roper

Depends if your hunting,target,varmint shooting. You can get 6 Dasher 1000yds but you won't want to hunt with it.

Wyosmith

TXAZ you give me far too much credit.
Someone shooting well at 2000 is impressive, and they have a few men doing it with 20 MM cannons and some super wildcats. I don't. I can't.

When I was a young man I shot 1000 yards quite often and well, but I don't enjoy it anymore and I see no purpose for it ever in the hunting fields and to me honest, it's over stated even in the military. There are some military snipers shooting over 1000 and we make note of them and those shots. For every kill made on enemies at 1000+ however, the snipers of the USMC (my old family) makes probably 300 kills at 850 and under. I have shot with and worked with US Army snipers too, but that was 25 years ago, so my info is dated, but I would bet the same thing is true of them. To me the 1000 yard game is just that. A game. It has a rare "real world application" now and then, but mostly such shots are better done with mortars, artillery and today, drones.
It is a fun game for some. It used to be for me, but I grew tired of it. I have a self imposed limit on my shots when hunting of 500 meters. I just don't try it anymore. I see no need ever. However I do enjoy seeing talented men with super heavy powerful weapons play the game now and then and shooting out past 1 mile is very impressive when you find the very very rare man with the right weapon and ammo that can actually do it.
I am not talking about firing 7-15 shots to get 1 hit either. I am talking about that rare man that fires at 5 targets at 1500+ yards and gets 80% hits. I have only see that done about 3 times in my life. I have never done it.

Don Fischer

I zero my rifle's for MPBR, max point blank range, at an 8" target. Then I let the data my chronograph gives me to determine long range, It's always very close to 300 yds, usually under that. I don't shot at game animals at any distance where I would have to either re-adjust the sight's or hold over.

ShootistPRS

Don,
I do the same thing but limit the target zone to a 2 inch circle. I can then shoot to 200 yards and expect to be within one inch of my point of aim.

Rangerrich99

I don't shoot rifles competitively, except amongst my friends, and most of them are better shots than I, so consider me a rank amateur. That said, my longest shot on a prairie dog to this point was last year at 487.5 yards (according to the laser rangefinder) with my essentially stock Ruger SR556E (Vortex 4x12 44mm scope, and a Geissele 2-stage trigger), which for that rifle I would consider that a long range shot.

Longest shot I ever made was with my bone stock Savage M110 in .30-06 at just over 600 yards on a 10-inch steel plate. Put four rounds in about a 4-inch group, after using three rounds to find the plate, using 165 grain Core-lokts (prone from the bed of my truck, using a sandbag). Not long range to some, but I was very happy with that result.

Longest shot I ever made with my Henry AR-7 was 150 yards on a clay pigeon, and that in my mind was at least 50% luck. Somehow I hit the thing right in the center, and I've never been able to repeat that performance.

Oh, I voted 600 yards.

Last edited:

jmr40

Talking modern rifles with optics. Anyone who can shoot 1-1.5" groups at 100 yards can hit deer size game out to 300 yards with just a little practice and work. Most cartridges shoot flat enough that bullet drop is easily accounted for and the wind hasn't had much time to mess things up. No special gear or loads required.

I don't believe in the max point blank range method. It causes more problems than it solves. You still have to know the accurate range of game to determine whether to shoot or not. If you know the range you can compensate. With a 100 yard zero almost all modern loads will require little or no hold over at 300. It is a lot easier to remember to hold 2-3" high at 300 than to remember you're bullet will hit several inches high at close range.

If you're going to shoot 300-400 yards you really need a range finder and a scope with multiple aiming points or adjustable dials. It takes more practice to get good enough, but most people willing to put in the time can learn to shoot out to 400.

Going beyond 400 and you start needing quality gear, much more accuracy, better bullets, better optics and be good at reading wind. But I still believe most shooters can learn how to hit at 500 yards. At least in calm wind.

I voted 500 yards in the poll. At that range and beyond I think it takes some one pretty good with top end gear to do it consistently. I've shot out to 600 and actually did better than I expected. But about 400 is my current comfort zone. I've not had enough trigger time beyond 400 to feel confident. At least not yet.

TXAZ

Rangerrich99 noted:
I don't shoot rifles competitively, except amongst my friends, and most of them are better shots than I, so consider me a rank amateur. That said, my longest shot on a prairie dog to this point was last year at 487.5 yards (according to the laser rangefinder) with my essentially stock Ruger SR556E (Vortex 4x12 44mm scope, and a Geissele 2-stage trigger), which for that rifle I would consider that a long range shot.

Once I got a .50, I took up golf, something my Dad always wanted me to do. Here are 2 of the 5 golf balls I shot 583 yards (also according to a laser range finder). Another guy in the club nicked one at 1,000 yards so I've got to step up my game. As for "long range" for me, I'm calling it at 583 yards.

image_zpsyvpxpgkl.jpeg

The little burn spots on the front are where the incendiary lit up from the APIT round.
(And who says you can't hit a Pinnacle Practice ball 583 yards?)

Scorch

"Long range" can be kind of subjective. Since I used to shoot across the course, 600 yds is not long range, it is just where "long range" begins. The (I guess "formal") definition of long range is 600 yds plus, but as I said, it can be kind of subjective. I have shot 300+ yds with a 22LR, and 1000 yds with a 300 WinMag, and either can be challenging. But 300 yds with a 300 WinMag is a chip shot, not long range. So I draw the line for modern centerfire at 600+ yds, and for rimfire at 300 yds, and handguns at 200 yds. But that's just me.

Rangerrich99

Nice shootin', Tex (TXAZ).

I shot a few golf balls at around 400 yards, again with my Savage about ten years ago. Unfortunately, I never took a picture of them or kept them around. Might have to try that again.

Blindstitch

I chose 300 yards. The reason being if I'm shooting long range then i'm probably hunting. I believe my range kicks out when the percentage of an ethical go down.

Yeah I've watched those videos of Gunwerks long range hunting and shooting animals at 700+ yards. I don't really call that hunting anymore. Shooting animals over 1/3rd of a mile away isn't realistic for a lot of people hunting land wise and it give the impression that if they can do it anyone can.

For targets over 600 yards is fine.

COSteve

Like most everyone else, 'Long Range' is subjective for me. Depends on the caliber, rifle, and sights. I rarely shoot at anything under 200yds and most shots are over that so all my shooting is somewhat 'long range'. I shoot pistols out to 100 yds as well.

I always practice my 'aim small, miss small' philosophy I was taught 60yrs ago. However, I'm not a paper target guy as I learned to shoot with reactive targets like pine cones at random ranges. At 69 yrs old, long range for me ain't what it use to be but this is what I'm capable of these days.

So for me:
  • 30-30 carbine with iron sights: 200yds shooting bowling pins
  • 357 mag Pistol Caliber 24" Levergun with Tang and globe sights: 300yds shooting bowling pins
  • 45 Colt Pistol Caliber 24" Levergun with Tang and globe sights: 300yds shooting bowling pins
  • Irons only Mini-14: 300-350 yds shooting bowling pins
  • NM Irons M1A: 400-450 yds shooting 12" steel plates
  • 12x Scoped 5.56 AR: 400-450 yds shooting medium apples (hard but great fun!!)
  • 16x Scoped .223 bolt gun: 450-500 yds shooting medium apples (easier but still fun)