Your Dad or Grandpa's revolver

Que

My first revolver was handed down to me by my granfather. He'd be well over 110 now and this was one that he bought some time around the Great Depression. It sat in his sock drawer for sixty years. I forgot about this gun, an Iver Johnson .38 S&W, until a year ago and rediscovered it in some old boxes. Once my smith looks it over I plan to shoot it at least once.

Show us those family revolvers.

img4024yy7.jpg

kraigwy

I have one that my great Grandfather gave my grandfather, then to my father, and will go to my oldest son, and his. My great grandmother couldnt handle my grandfather, so when he was 12 he was sent to work on the ranch and live with the ranch hand. That was when he was given the revolver. This is in 44 Russian and I still shoot it. It was the first pistol I ever shot.

guns%20004.jpg

guns%20005.jpg

redlevel42

I don't have a picture right handy, but I have the S&W Victory Model my Daddy carried throughout the late 50s and 60s. My brother has his Model 66 no dash, and my Mama (90 years old in two weeks) still carries the Model 37 he bought for her in the early 70s.

He carried a S&W Triple Lock .44 when he was a Georgia Wildlife Ranger in the late 1930s, but that one was long gone before I was born.

A friend of mine has the break top Iver Johnson .32 that my Granddaddy's moonshine partner used to kill a police officer on the street in Butler, Georgia some time between 1900 and 1910. I remember hearing my Granddaddy tell the story many times. The newly hired constable, as he was called, an Irishman from up north, made an unprovoked attack on the man. He knocked him down in the street with a slap-jack, and got a .32 slug between the eyes for his troubles. Granddad said he was in the woods about a quarter mile out of town, pouring likker from gallon jugs into pints and half-pints, when he heard the shot. It turned out that the Irishman had been paid off by a rival moonshine faction to arrest my Granddaddy and his partner. It was his first and last day on the job.

Rural South Georgia was every bit as wild and wooly 100 years ago as the wild West.

Dresden2001

OK. Great Grandfather made the trip out west in the 1880's and settled in Southern New Mexico. This came with him. . .

IMG_1122-1.jpg

Grandfather was in the US Army in WWI. This came back with him.

pix3414905640.jpg

Norrick

Dresden, what is it about the older guns that the blueing (and the 1911 is blued, correct?) looks so much better than these days?

It seems like a transluscent coating where you can see the metal beneath the color... I have a high standard that has the same tones to the metal, and I have yet to see any new guns that look like it. All the blueing these days seems to be much darker, sometimes completely opaque to where if it weren't so smooth you'd suspect it was parkerized.

Kreyzhorse

No pictures, but my Dad still has his first handgun, a Iver Johnson 22lr. I'd guess it was made sometime in the 1940s.

I do have my Grandfather's shotgun too. A 1925 LaFever double barrel. In fair shape, locks up tight and I've no doubt it would handle low brass with no issues.

defence18

I don't have pictures, actually, I don't have the gun yet, but my father inherited my grandfather's .38 Charter Arms. Being that he wasn't at all interested in handguns, nor was he familiar with them, and my brother and I were 8 and 6, he chose to sell it to a hunting buddy. Low and behold, at hunting camp this year, the buddy announces that he's interested in selling it. I told him to name his price. I'm just waiting for the permit to purchase to come through and then I'll have it. This will be my first handgun.

Laker

My computer crashed and I'm using my son's old one so pictures aren't loaded. But anyhow, I've got my greatgrandfathers 5 shot top break Iver Johnson .32 thats in pristine shape. Maybe never fired. Neat little gun, although they seem to have been very inexpensive and aren't worth much. Anyone have info or opinions on Iver Johnsons?

zippy13

My wife's grandfather, the colonel, passed down his issued Colt New Service in .45 Colt and his subsequently issued S&W M-1917, from early 1918, in .45ACP.

Inspector3711

I'd love to show you the semi auto pistol grandpa snagged off of a dead Japanese officer in the Phillipines. It was supposed to be mine but someone disappeared it when he died. I did get an 1800's era .22 rifle though.