Your Choice of Rifle Ammunition Components

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Thought exercise:

If prices and availability were identical, what ammunition components would you choose for purposes of high-accuracy (1/2 MOA or less) hunting?

Brass
Primers
Powder
Bullets

I'm going to guess that the winner will be, among those who have used the most variety, Lapua brass and VihtaVuori powder. Bullets and primers, not sure.

TXGunNut

I have my preferences on some things (like RP, Starline and someday Lapua brass) but for other stuff I let the rifle do the choosing. Doesn't much matter what I like if I want .5 MOA groups. If the rifle doesn't like it we'll never make it to tiny group land.

Wildalaska

Brass is lapua, bullets are Lapua, primers are 210M and powder is whatever shoots the best (usually RLs or VNs)

WildeurotrashguyAlaska ™

wxl

Primers- no preference
Brass - Winchester
Powder - IMR, Hodgdon
Bullets - Barnes for hunting

woods

Brass - Nosler, Remington (never used Lapua)
Primers - Fed215M
Powder - RL17, RL22, RL25
Bullets - Accubond, TTSX

Brass: RP (thoroughly prepped [turn down thick/high spots in neck, uniform flash holes, trim as necessary, fireform, etc])
Primers: CCI
Powder: Hodgdon
Bullets: Bergers

Bamashooter

223 for accuracy...

brass- lake city, remington
primers- remington bench rest, wolf magnum
powder- IMR-4895, W-748
bullets- sierra 60gr. varmiter & 69gr. smk

30-06 for accuracy...

brass- remington, frontier, FC
primers- WLR
powder- IMR-4895
bullets- 155gr. smk

Rifleman1776

Brass: Winchester
But, I never passed up an opportunity to get a lot of free or very inexpensive military brass. It seems like there is no limit to the number of time mil brass can be resized and reloaded. Hold about one grain less than commercial but that isn't a problem.
Rest, no brand preference.

4runnerman

In 223 i have found (ok get ready for this).. Brass has made no difference contrare to what mosthave said and will say. CCI 400 primers,h-335 powder,and horandy red tip 55grain. formula= 25.5 gn of H-335,CCI-400 primer and a COL of 2.26 is giving me 1/2 to 3/4 groups at 200 yards with a Savage Edge series gun.

Just my 2cents

COSteve

Depends greatly upon what caliber you are reloading for and what range in that caliber you're going for. In .223, most find that they get best results in the 100-300yd distances with Laupa brass, Remington BR primers, 69grn Sierra bullets, and Varget powder.

However, my particular 20" AR doesn't like 69grn Sierra bullets and Varget as well as it likes 68grn Hornady bullets and TAC.

For shorter ranges of 50-100yds and longer ranges of 600-1,000yds completely different combinations are better. The same is usually true for every caliber so there isn't a single 'best' combination for everyone.

oldscot3

for hunting - any decent brass depending on availability for caliber, I like Lapua, Hornady and Winchester.
Nosler bullets, but I've also gotten good results from the other brands.
Federal or CCI primers, but again I've used about all of the brands from time to time. Honestly though, I've only had a couple of weapons in my life that would do 1/2 moa, regardless of ammo.

for target shooting - Lapua is my first choice but I've used some Norma and also some other brands of "match grade" brass.
Sierra or Berger bullets.
Federal match primers.
I'm told if you have the right Berger, it performs well on medium sized, thin skinned game.

briandg

extra long range, 1/2 MOA groups? Not asking for much, are we?

I guess I would start out with either lapua or norma brass, weigh and sort, uniform, then probably swift scirocco bullets. Federal primers, I guess. I don't know which powder, that is just going to have to be trial and error once the 3 other components are together.

What sort of cartridge would we all be able to agree on, I wonder?:rolleyes: