Young Children

B9mmHP

Being an old-timer myself, I would like to ask some other old-timers if they have ever had a shooting class at school or after school and at what age were you if you did?

Or what age you were “or you young pups also” given safety instructions on shooting by an adult and allowed to shoot or hunt?

My question involves my grandson. He is turning 8 in April, he is real smart and was raised with values of don’ts an do, and has as far as I know, never done the don’ts.

Is an 8yr old, old enough to learn to shoot with proper instructions and under supervision?

As for myself I remember being about 7 when I shot my first 22, supervised by my 17 yr old sister, I never remember being given any safety instructions at anytime, but probably was. At age 11 or 12, I was out hunting rabbits an squirrels.

As some station manager says on my local TV after he makes a comment. Let us here from you, but you never here the reply.

I hope to here from you.

gb_in_ga

As for me, the answer is yes. I was in Army ROTC in high school in the early 70's. Clear Creek HS in League City, Tx. There was a smallbore rifle range under the gym at the school, we shot match .22 rifle AT SCHOOL, DURING SCHOOL HOURS, as part of ROTC. We were taught and supervised by a retired paratrooper sargent major, very professional. We were also taught the manual of arms for an M-14 and how to field strip them and maintain them, but we never got to shoot them. Yes, there was an armory there on campus.

Oh, and I got my first gun at the age of 12, a single shot 16 ga, I hunted waterfowl and doves that year under adult supervision -- my father. I started deer hunting at the age of 14, solo deer hunting at 15.

auberg

As best as I can remember, my father always had some kind of gun since I was very little. My siblings and I always knew where he kept it, but my father was a bull of a man and if he said don't even look at it, you didn't for fear of getting the spanking of a lifetime. So I guess my basic training came very early. (don't play with it, its not a toy.) I think he would have been better served to actually have taken us out and taught us to shoot though. I have always believed that if the child can understand how dangerous they are, and have respect for them, then the child is mature enough (as opposed to old enough.) to learn about shooting.

Please keep this in mind. I have no children, so my opinion may be completely off of someone that is a parent.

mete

I learned at about 7 or 8 and many I know did also.Repeat the safety stuff a million times and end the session immediately when he breaks the rules. Vary the sessions to kept it interesting , using targets that move when hit is good also. Other than that adjust things to his skills and development.

kennybs plbg

I started shooting around 7-8 under supervision, and also started my children off around the same age. I have taught and preached safety every time I can. I find that if children are raised with guns and you take the mystery of the gun away. You have very little problems. My children were allowed to see or hold my firearms at any time, all they had to do was ask. They actually became bored with them and at times only seemed interested to apease me.

kenny b

drinks

Being born and raised in Texas [ born 1940], all my relatives hunted, male and female, my Grandma still kept a break action 5 shot .38 in her apron pocket, my mother and her 3 sisters all hunted doves, quail, deer, javalina and rabbits, all the houses had a shotgun or .22 by the back door and the kids knew that they could use them to protect domestic animals and property, but better have a GOOD reason.
about 6 , with supervision ,was when training in shooting started.
I got a Western Field .410 sxs for my 6 th birthday, didn't get a .22 until I was 11.
13 on , bunches of us went to the woods and river bottoms every weekend, if just a day trip, just had the rifle or shotgun across the handlebars or tied to the frame, usually a rod and reel and tackle box too.
If an overnighter, blanket roll and skillet tied across rear fender.
If a cop or deputy saw us, he would wave, or if he was curious, pull us over and ask where we were going , what we hoped to shoot or catch, and just how good was the fishing?
Today, a 14 yearold with a .22 on the handlebars would have the SWAT team out.
Is it not a shame what the dictatorial liberal establishment and the sensationalist press has done to the kid's world? :barf:
Don

armedandsafe

I got my Daisy Red Ryder when I was 5, after I could recite and demonstrate the 10 commandments of hunting. The .22 and the shotgun came the Christmas before I turned 9. The 03A3 came when I was 12. That was the year I was allowed to leave the house with a gun, without first reciting the safety rules to Mom, Dad or elder sister.

Pops

tlm225

I started shooting a .22 at age 6 under my dad's VERY close supervision. Got my first gun (Stevens 20 Ga.) at 9. The first year I could only load when I was about to shoot game. Like Kenny B I realized early on that curiosity was the most powerful force in a kids life. I also allowed my kids to see, handle and dry fire my guns any time under my close supervision after we both checked/cleared them. I also took them to the range with me. My daughter soon lost interest but my son remains almost as passionate as I am. I never had an incident and both were very safe in their gun handling

netwizard20

My mom hates guns, I wasnt even allowed to have waterguns.

I got my first class/instruction in basic when it was time to qual on the M16, I was 21. I am not ashamed to say that I giggled out loud everytime I sent a round down range. But even now, 4 years and several thousand rounds later, I still giggle (inside)

perception

I was shooting as early as I can remember, always under the closest supervision. I hunted when I was younger, and even though I no longer hunt (due mostly to a lack of land) I still love and respect guns. I am in college now, but I remember in high school I took a class called wildlife management and recreation. It was pretty much hunting class, and we regularly skinned whatever someone had killed earlier that morning. I have no idea how our teacher arranged it, but somehow he got us permission to shoot skeet as a class at school during school hours. It was kind of weird, considering how strong our laws are against having guns in school.

Jungle Work

I received my first rifle, a cut down 03 from my uncle who was a gunsmith so I could go hunting with my father and my uncles. I didn't get a .22 until I was seven. I did get a Daisy Red Rider for my sixth birthday.

I was taught shooting safety by my father and my uncles. A violation cost you the right to hunt or shoot until the next season. They were graveyard dead serious about firearm safety.

My first organized shooting of any type of gun was in the Cub Scouts at a day camp. We shot .22 single shots. The next organized training was in the Boy Scouts, again with .22s and 20 guage shotguns. I was about 11yoa.

Jungle Work

klgreene

old enough?

I recieved my first rifle when I was 6 years old. A .22 single shot Stevens...Still have that rifle.....I would tag along behind my Dad while squirrel hunting and once we reached our location, I could then load one shiny new cartridge into the chamber and wait....Dad would always let me take the first shot at each one of those little tree rats...He would usually have to make the killing shot until I had, had some time under my belt. He taught me all of the ins and out of the saftey aspects, how to aim, carry and squeeeeeeeze off the shot. But even at that young of an age I think the best part of all was spending the time with my dad. I guess if you think your grandson is too young to carry a rifle try just taking him with you to the range or hunting or whatever....I guarantee that he will enjoy it, remember and cherish the time spent with you for many years after you're no longer needed to chaparone...Just food for thought from another grandpa.

Rojoe67

I remember Dad taking us kids plinking with 22's when I was 8 or 9 years old. I think it was my 9th Christmas when I got my Red Ryder B-B gun. I bet that gun had 20,000 B-B's through it before it was retired?
I think age of a child to be intruduced depends on his or her level of maturity and understanding. It should be stressed that even with Air Soft, B-B's or Pellet guns all the safety rules need to be taught and stressed ALL the time.......... ;)

Jungle Work

I think age of a child to be intruduced depends on his or her level of maturity and understanding. It should be stressed that even with Air Soft, B-B's or Pellet guns all the safety rules need to be taught and stressed ALL the time..........

It always does my heart good to see the postings of very intelligent persons.
Especially when there is a great deal of common sense in it.
My compliments, Sir.

Jungle Work

B9mmHP

Thanks to all.
Good inspiration and thoughts here.

I already have the boys .22 for his 8th birthday in April and my daughter has already given me the go-ahead on it, but my son-in-law as of late is having second thoughts, I think.

I have been working with Kendall for about a week teaching him the nomenclature on my .22 and teaching him gun safety so when the day arrives he can hit the range with his new gun up to speed on safety and won’t be chomping at the bit to start shooting. :)

He has been around guns all his life and knows not to touch them, although he has shot my BB gun several times.

jefnvk

I sure am not an old timer, being 19.

One of the earliest memories I have is shutting my finger in a pump BB gun. It is still the only injury I have ever recieved while shooting. My own first gun was a Crossman 1077 pellet gun when I was 6 or 7. It shot many birds in its day.

8 is plenty old enough.