You Won't Believe This

warbirdlover

I was at Gander Mountain tonight looking at different model Remington 700's. I am going to settle on the SPS Buckmasters (camo stock) instead of the SPS stainless because they didn't do a very even bead blast on the barrel and it looked rough. The Buckmasters was nice.

The thing that threw me is that Remington's website says that all their new 700's come with the X-pro adjustable trigger. Three salesman at Gander's said that due to this pending lawsuit they aren't putting adjustable triggers on any of their guns anymore. That Remington won't even let the Gander gunsmiths touch them. They have to be sent in to the factory for adjustment now. I found this hard to believe because I never saw anything on Remington's site to this affect.

Anyone else heard this story?

http://www.remington.com/sitecore/content/Remington/pages/xmark-pro-trigger.aspx

zoomie

Haven't heard the story. But consider the source. A local GM (across state lines) wouldn't sell me a shotgun because I wasn't a resident. One employee told me it was federal law and one told me it was state law.

I can't imagine that Gander Mountain's contract to buy Remington products includes Remington having the power to tell Gander Mountain that they can't work on Remington products such as the 700.

If this is the result of a pending lawsuit, my guess is that the suit is against Gander Mountain after they worked on one of the guns.

ndking1126

I can't imagine that Gander Mountain's contract to buy Remington products includes Remington having the power to tell Gander Mountain that they can't work on Remington products such as the 700.

Assuming GM used to be able to do work on them and not void the warranty (never lived near one, don't know what previous arrangements they had), Remington does have the ability to put in the contract that GM gunsmiths aren't allowed to work on their rifles and the warranty still be good. Anything I the consumer could do without voiding the warranty, the GM gunsmith could also do. But anything requiring more knowledge than a weekend warrior, Remington can make the call whether it gets sent back to them or GM can fix it in house in an attempt to take care of their customer.

When I worked at Best Buy back in the day, computer manufacturers changed their policy on us doing warranty work semi-frequently. Some we could do instore, sometimes we had to send it to our repair facility and sometimes it had to go back to the manufacturer.

But to OP, I have never heard this story either. Going back to my days at Best Buy, I heard some of the most ridiculous statements from some of the computer salesman. I as the technician wanted to slap some sense into them sometimes. Thanks to my days at BB, I don't trust anything a salesman from these big retail stores tells me that I can't verify on my own. (99% of the time I've done my research before entering the store and just need to get hands on the products to make my final decision.)**

**For the record, the misinformation was given by ignorant salesman/woman, NOT the company. BB's policy while I worked there (2004-2005) was always to be honest with the customer and take care of them so the customer knew they could trust BB. On several occasions I informed customers that a cheaper product than they were looking at would fit their needs and I was never once chastised or punished for it.

Sorry for the long post.

Last edited:
Assuming GM used to be able to do work on them and not void the warranty (never lived near one, don't know what previous arrangements they had), Remington does have the ability to put in the contract that GM gunsmiths aren't allowed to work on their rifles and the warranty still be good. Anything I the consumer could do without voiding the warranty, the GM gunsmith could also do. But anything requiring more knowledge than a weekend warrior, Remington can make the call whether it gets sent back to them or GM can fix it in house in an attempt to take care of their customer.

I dunno. The issue wasn't stated as being because it would void the warranty. They issue was that Remington said GM could not work on the guns. If it was an issue of voiding warranty, then any gunsmithing not performed by Remington would void the warranty, or is the implication that GM's gunsmiths are incompetent?

ndking1126

or is the implication that GM's gunsmiths are incompetent?

Definitely not. As I mentioned, I have never even lived by one much less done business with one. The whole assumption of my post is that they are working on weapons under warranty.

If GM's work is not being done as warranty work, then no, Remington cannot tell GM they are not allowed to work on their rifles. The only way Remington can control who works on their rifles is by voiding warranties. But if the customer is not worried about a warranty or the work done does not void the warranty, then GM can do whatever they want.

I'm not a lawyer, but that is my experience with how manufactures and re-salers work together.

woodguru

Remington is going to go into a defense mode where ANY trigger work not done by the factory is going to be their defense in litigation.

I had a bird food company, my policy was to immediately recall every lot of food that showed a problem. I had set up a system that numbered lots by the 2000lb bag before packaging and every lot size packaged had a subset number. It didn't even cost all that much money to contact the distributors that got the bad lots and get them a replacement amount on their next order.

My wife was the resident veterinarian so she dealt with the new management, they choose to ignore problems and field only lawsuits. Their conscious feeling is that this costs less. The thing that irritates me is that any manufacturer taking this approach settles out of court on damages and non disclosure enters into the contract in such a way that the damaged party cannot talk about the incident or settlement under penalty of having to repay the settlement and undergo added liability.

Sometimes regulations are in order that forces companies to take the correct approach. You can bet that Remington doesn't want anyone but factory authorized gunsmiths to touch these.

bcrash15

zoomie said:
Haven't heard the story. But consider the source. A local GM (across state lines) wouldn't sell me a shotgun because I wasn't a resident. One employee told me it was federal law and one told me it was state law.
If there IS actually a legal issue it will be a state one, the guy who said federal law is probably confused. Specifics will depend on the states involved, but the sale has to be allowed by the state you are a resident of and the state you are buying from. Some states only sell to certain other states and (as I just found out) some states restrict their own residents to only buy from certain states. However, I have also had shops tell me that I was unable to buy a gun without checking and it turned out they were wrong according to the applicable laws, they were just too lazy to check and make a sale.

Back to the OP, I can't vouch for whether all new SPSs having the adjustable trigger, but from my local GM experience/questioning, their display guns might be old (before any changes were made). It appears that my local store stocks their displays from some warehouse inventory which processes on a first-in-first-out principle. So the new models don't always make it until the old stock has sold out, and it could be a while depending on sale frequency. Example: at the local store I saw them selling original model P-22 pistols years after the manufacturer had released revised designs.