"You were holding it wrong"

swedgon

I've been hanging around here for a while. Only started posting just lately. Have you ever had one thing that just PO'ed you so much you just could not stand to hear it any more?
When some one is talking about their latest and greatest pistol and use the term "limp wristing" or, "you held it wrong" for the reason it had a failure to feed or for some reason it didn't go bang. This just buggs me to death. "If a semi-auto is to be a defensive tool that you could use to save your life, it should go bang every time; two handed, one handed, right side up and up side down. If you are carrying it for protection and you have to hold it a special way to make it work, get another gun! I'll get off my soap box now.

Albert

JDG

Limp wristing is a very real problem. My 9yr old can get my G19 to stovepipe on a load that shoots for me 100%. I told a rookie, autoloader shooter friend of mine that he was holding it wrong, and a mag or two later, he lost a good chunk of flesh off his support hand, so it does happen:eek:

gc70

In the "holding it wrong" department, there is holding a pistol wrong and not holding a pistol the way somebody else thinks a pistol should be held.

My brother-in-law provided an example of "holding it wrong." His prior experience had been with revolvers and the first time he shot a pistol, he did hold it certifiably wrong. His right hand was fine, but his left hand placement left something to be desired, with his left thumb wrapped over the grip tang and behind the back of the slide. Needless to say, it only took one shot for him to understand that thumbs should not be in the path of recoling slides.

croyance

Because of the way a semi-auto works, you should not expect proper ejection or loading if you limp wrist. It is the physics and you do have to provide some resistance.
However, the way you hold it - limp wristing or not - shouldn't prevent the hammer/striker from powering the firing pin, so it should still go *boom*.

If a semi-auto is to be used as a defensive tool, the user must consistantly operate it correctly. Otherwise other options should be explored. Obviously it is the wrong tool for the job if the user cannot manage it.

Majic

You may not believe in limp wristing, but physics is something you can't ignore. If the frame isn't held still while the slide retracts then it will lose the energy needed to strip and chamber a fresh cartridge out of the magazine. It's just the way all reciprocating slide semi-autos function.

RickB

I watched a guy shooting a competition CZ, getting a failure to feed on every shot. After thirty or forty rounds, someone noticed his weak-hand thumb was pushing up on the slidestop, and causing the gun to not cycle. He changed his grip, and the gun ran perfectly thereafter; he was holding it wrong. :)

ranburr

I've been hanging around here for a while. Only started posting just lately. Have you ever had one thing that just PO'ed you so much you just could not stand to hear it any more?
When some one is talking about their latest and greatest pistol and use the term "limp wristing" or, "you held it wrong" for the reason it had a failure to feed or for some reason it didn't go bang. This just buggs me to death. "If a semi-auto is to be a defensive tool that you could use to save your life, it should go bang every time; two handed, one handed, right side up and up side down. If you are carrying it for protection and you have to hold it a special way to make it work, get another gun! I'll get off my soap box now.

Albert

You obviously haven't been around pistols much. Any pistol can be made to malfunction by limp wristing.

Sturmgewehre

You obviously haven't been around pistols much. Any pistol can be made to malfunction by limp wristing.
That statement right there tells me you're the one that hasn't been around pistols very much... at least not quality ones.

I can hold my Glock between my thumb and middle finger and pull the trigger with my index finger, limping wristing the HELL out of it, and it will cycle every time. I can do it upside down, side ways, you name it. I'll shoot the video next time I'm out at the range.

A good handgun, as stated by the OP, will work regardless of how you hold it. God forbid you get shot and lose most of your strength, then your $100 Hi Point can't cycle... :eek:

Sturmgewehre

I watched a guy shooting a competition CZ, getting a failure to feed on every shot. After thirty or forty rounds, someone noticed his weak-hand thumb was pushing up on the slidestop, and causing the gun to not cycle. He changed his grip, and the gun ran perfectly thereafter; he was holding it wrong.
Yeah, that can be a problem.

Sturmgewehre

You may not believe in limp wristing, but physics is something you can't ignore. If the frame isn't held still while the slide retracts then it will lose the energy needed to strip and chamber a fresh cartridge out of the magazine. It's just the way all reciprocating slide semi-autos function.
If it's in your hand, that's all a good quality handgun will need to work against. If you lay a pistol on the ground and mechanically pull the trigger it won't work... two different scenarios. Perhaps if you drop the gun at the instant of firing it might not work, but I can assure you well designed pistols will work regardless of how loosely you hold them.

BabyEagle.40

With any semi auto there are greater possibilities of errors because there are more moving parts than a revolver. You should practice good holding techniques so the gun will shoot properly when you want to use it. Also so you and others don't get hurt when practicing. Anyone that is at a quality range shooting upside down should be ban from the range and handguns completely, it's called safety, DA.

Sturmgewehre

Anyone that is at a quality range shooting upside down should be ban from the range and handguns completely, it's called safety, DA.
I own my own range, DA. Aren't you the guy who tells people how great guns are you've never owned, much less fired?

LOL

Sturmgewehre

I will, then I'll report back to people like you who talk all this trash yet never once fired the gun they're hyping.

I throw them in the mud too. You talk about all this "reliability" yet you've never fired the gun much less thrown it in the mud to see for yourself if it's reliable or not. Then, when someone comes along that can do it in a controlled environment, just because you have a petty chip on your shoulder you call them "DA" (Dumb Ass)... which happens to be against the rules. I'm sure a mod will be along any minute to remind you.

Powderman

I can hold my Glock between my thumb and middle finger and pull the trigger with my index finger, limping wristing the HELL out of it, and it will cycle every time. I can do it upside down, side ways, you name it. I'll shoot the video next time I'm out at the range.

That's because you are still providing a good recoil surface for the pistol.

I believe that limp wristing is mis-named--it should be called limp-gripping.

For a semiauto, you must practice acquiring a firm, high grip on the draw stroke, and for every shot. Your grip should be firm, but not crushing, with the web of your hand firmly against the top of the frame tang/grip safety.

Yes, you CAN fire a semi the way Sturmgewehr describes. In fact, you can fire ACCURATELY this way, and main complete control of the pistol. I do it all the time with new shooters to demonstrate that the pistol will not rise up and smite them mightily upon firing.

Majic

If it's in your hand, that's all a good quality handgun will need to work against. If you lay a pistol on the ground and mechanically pull the trigger it won't work... two different scenarios.
Why would you call that 2 different senarios? Can't you hold a pistol so loosely that all you are doing is supporting it's weight? Yes you can hold a pistol with just the thumb and one finger, but in order for the pistol to function correctly you must hold the pistol firmly. Loosen that grip until the hand is just supporting the pistol's weight and try firing it. If you don't stop the rearward momentum of the frame then it will most likely malfunction.

Magyar

Ask Jerry Aherne, former CEO of Detonics....That was his number #1 excuse for all the complaints he received for his lackluster pistols...
I got tired of his whining and excuses, never blaming it on materials and quality control....
+1 for the Hoosier's comments.....

zukiphile

Quote:

If it's in your hand, that's all a good quality handgun will need to work against. If you lay a pistol on the ground and mechanically pull the trigger it won't work... two different scenarios. Perhaps if you drop the gun at the instant of firing it might not work, but I can assure you well designed pistols will work regardless of how loosely you hold them.

I read the "limp-wristing" warning regularly, but never have it happen. I can use a fairly gentle grip when slow firing beyond 50 feet, too. I've taught some fairly slight girls to shoot, and "make sure you grip it firmly, or it won't work" has never been part of my instruction.

Could a firm grip cover some other functional problem with a pistol?

Mal H

Staff
Notice - any members who insist on taking their explanations and arguments to a personal level need to rethink that tactic. Stick to the topic, defend it or refute it, don't disparage other TFL members or you will be shown the door.