You should read this before heading out to the range. Don't let this happen to you.

Jack 99

Just a word to the wise here. Don't let this happen to you.

Went to the range on Saturday and took the 10/22 which hasn't been out of the cabinet for a year or so. Couldn't hit the broad side of Rosie O'Donnell at 100 yds. I figured it had to be the ammo, no the wind, no the (fill in the blank).

After about 300 rounds, when I was just about to head home, I happened to check the scope. Loose scope mount had about 1/10 of an inch of play in it.

It wasn't exactly a "wasted day" because of course I wasn't parked in front of the tube but it wasn't as good as it could have been. Of course, I know all good TFLers make sure to check all equipment thoroughly BEFORE heading for the range, but just in case some of you might be as big of a bone-head as me, keep in mind that when the lawnmower won't start, the first thing to check is the gas tank. Its the simple stuff that screws you.

bullseyekp

"Couldn't hit the broad side of Rosie O'Donnell at 100 yds." :D 300 Rounds huh!?!? Been there done that. With my .308 and not quite so many rounds though. Anyone ever try lock tight on their mounts?

------------------
"When there are many words, transgression is unavoidable, but he who restrains his lips is wise."
--Proverbs 10:19

Gopher a 45

LocTite (gotta give the brand name its due) is wonderful stuff. I use it on my carry handle scope mount for the AR (it would loosen after only 5-10 shots). If you get it, get the medium to easy-remove stuff, which works to hold your optics on, but can still be removed without damaging your stuff. Also, a little goes a long way. Hope this helps.

P.S. I wouldn't use it on very small screws, because even the medium stuff will make it impossible to get a treated screw off with those tiny screwdrivers.

HukeOKC

My first time with a scope of any kind. It was me and my Dad and neither one of us had any prior experience with a scope. This was just a cheap scope on a Winchester .22 and we needed to zero it in. Shot the first couple of rounds and then needed to make some adjustments, On the scope it had the two adjustment points for vertical and horizontal adjustments. The caps on the dials were plastic and you could twist them over. We twisted the caps over and saw the head of a screw under it. We started turning on those and firing more rounds. The rounds were going everywhere. We couldn't figure it out. After about 50 rounds or so, my Dad reaches over and pulled on the cap to reveal the actual dial that we needed to be turning underneath. :eek: Glad nobody but us saw that!

Monkeyleg

Gopher a 45: I'll second your vote on LocTite. The blue stuff works well and, on tiny screws, if you just put a _very_ small drop, you can remove them easily by heating them slightly with a soldering gun before applying a screwdriver. One precaution for folks not familiar with LocTite: do _not_ use the red stuff, unless you're willing to use a torch on your scope to remove the screws.

Dick
Want to send a message to Bush? Sign the petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/monk/petition.html and forward the link to every gun owner you know.

Mike in VA

Auto supply stores are a good place to look for Loc-tite products. It comes in several grades, the blue is what you want for grip screws, scope mounts, etc., anything that you will need to un/reassemble from time to time. It also works well on outboard motors, motorcycles, and other things that vibrate and shake things loose. Read the instructions, and alittle goes a long way. Good luck, M2

jthuang

Happened to me last April at Insights's General Defensive Rifle class. First exercise of each day was checking zero. Couldn't figure out why the zero on my Aimpoint Comp M-XD was wandering from day to dya.

I get home, take the Bushmaster to the range and lo and behold, I hadn't tightened the Aimpoint Rail Grabber enough -- so the scope was slowly rotating in its mount throughout the three day class. DOH!

Justin

------------------
Justin T. Huang, Esq.
late of Kennett Square, Pennsylvania

Mal H

Staff
We had a discussion on this "phenomenon" a few months ago. And oddly enough, it seems to happen to .22LR shooters more than others, and this includes me. My theory then was that we think to ourselves that this is only a mild little .22 so we don't screw down the scope mounts as much as on a centerfire. And in fact they need to be just as tight for the small but sharp recoil of the .22.

paratrooper

Ok , Ok , Ok , so much for the small stuff . Let's get to the important stuff . How much do we all gotta chip in to buy enough LocTite to take care of Rosie O ' Bovines mouth ? Is there that much LocTite on the planet at the present time ? We don't have to worry about anything once we get it in front of her . She WILL eat it !! That butt didn't come from picky choosey nibbling .

------------------
TOM
SASS AMERICAN LEGION NRA GOA

HankL

Back up a bit more. The scope base that comes along with the 10/22 is a real POS in the first place. Has been for a long time. It will get loose and eventually mess your mounts up as well. Get an aftermarket base first and then use some Blue Loctite and decent rings and you should be in good shape.

OkieGentleman

If you don't want to use loctite, go to the local model flying airplane store and see if they have any liquid nylon. Works great and you can take the items apart and put them back together without applying more goop. Really good stuff for something you have to take down occasionally.

Gopher a 45

Paratrooper,

I'm afraid that LocTite won't solve the problem, since the object to be immobilized has to be still for at least a small amount of time while the LocTite dries, and we all know how likely that is when it come's to Rosie's flapping gums.

I've never tried it, but teflon tape for sealing pipes, metal fuel lines, etc. could be used for this purpose. It might be enough to prevent loosening from vibration, but it's still easy to get loose. You can find it at hardware and auto-parts stores.

jimc

the least expensive and least damaging way to secure your scope/mount screws is to use nail polish. an old trick for us old time mc' riders.

Ledbetter

That link leads to Gun-tite, a product which works well for me and is specifically made for firearms applications.

Ledbetter

K80Geoff

For loctite, go to :

www.brownells.com

Go to their search engine and type in the following numbers (On the second page look for a box titled Stock Number/product):

532-242-006

If you don't have one of their catalogs, why not. Has stuff everyone needs.

My Ruger MKII constantly knocked the scope loose untill I started using Loctite. It works.

Brownells lists four different Loctites starting with Purple and moving to Black, which is for stuff you never want to get loose.

Geoff Ross

------------------
One reason to vote in the next Presidential election.

It's the Supreme Court, Stupid!

[This message has been edited by K80Geoff (edited July 28, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by K80Geoff (edited July 28, 2000).]

K80Geoff

for loctite, go to :

www.brownells.com

go to their search engine and type in the following numbers:

532-242-006

If you don't have one of their catalogs, why not. Has stuff everyone needs.

Geoff Ross

------------------
One reason to vote in the next Presidential election.

It's the Supreme Court, Stupid!