You know, I was thinking...

Navy joe

Well, me + that thread title should be enough to scare anyone.

Anyway, good shooting area is hard to find. I shoot rifle indoors at 25 mtrs just for fun, 200 yd max at my nearby outdoor range, where oh where to go long range? Right now I have no gun up for 1,000 yds, but may get one again. I do have my M-1A that I would desperatly like to turn loose at 600 though.

What I came up with is within 30 miles of me in several directions is very rural farmland. Could I concievably scout out several patches that offered a flat soybean/peanut field with a decent hill backstop and then approach the landowner about occasional use? I think a written up proposal detailing some limitations would be good, things like 4-6 people max, no alcohol, no wild parties, no Sunday shooting or whatever the landowner would want. Invite the landowner to come out shooting too, offer a payment, maybe 10 bucks or so per person, per visit. If I found a spot and made very sure that crops weren't damaged, no trash was left and such I could see this working. Has anyone tried this?

Back home my dad's neighbors own enough river bottom that they land their airplanes in their hayfields, they might be amenable to such, but thats 180 miles away.

yankytrash

Round here, all you have to do is offer a few days work for prime farm-shooting land. Most will give a man the crooked eye if he offers money; but if you show'm you ain't scared of work, and are probably just a poor as them, they're happy to oblige.

Not to mention, tradin for work puts your foot in the door for deer season huntin permission.

I once helped bail hay for a few hours' worth of 800yd downhill shots into a beanfield (used my commie sniper rifle, the Romak III with the 8x42, so your M1A should be fine). Reminded me why I went into construction instead.