yotes in Minnesota

4runnerman

Hello All. Say i want to go yote hunting for the first time ever. I live in West Central Minnesota. I have read all the red tape for laws and such and it still makes my mind spin. What are the laws for yotes? Do i need a license?. Where can i go to hunt public land, I have been told all i need is a fur bearers permit to hunt them,Is this correct?. If any one has a place or knows of a place i can just drive to and get out ,set up and wait that would be great.
Any help would be awesome and helpful.

Thanks

nathaniel

As far as I know yotes are considered a non-game animal and you dont need a license in MN. This is right from the regulations.

UNPROTECTED ANIMALS
Residents and nonresidents are not required to have a license to hunt
unprotected species including coyote. Nonresidents do not need a furbearer
hunting license in addition to their small game license to hunt fox.

As far as public land go on the DNR website and look up all the WIA land and WLA land in your area. I can almost guarantee you that if you ask a farmer to hunt coyotes on thier land they will let you. Coyotes arent a very liked animal anywhere you go.

nathaniel

I'm no expert but I think you only need a furbearur permit for animals such as marten, otter, and bobcat. The best way to find out is ask your local DNR officer or call the ask line. Its been awhile since Ive had to read up on the MN regulations but they make them pretty easy to read for the commoner like me.

mrawesome22

Most states just want them dead.

Here in OH, you just need a hunting license. They are considered a nuisance pest and there is no daily limits or closed season. You can literally kill as many as you want, with whatever you want.

Your states DNR website should have all the answers you need.

From MN DNR website:
Coyote, striped skunk & other unprotected Continuous No limit See page 19.
UNPROTECTED ANIMALS
Residents and nonresidents are not required to have a license to hunt
unprotected species
including coyote. Nonresidents do not need a furbearer
hunting license in addition to their small game license to hunt fox.

So if you are a resident, you don't even need a hunting license. Sounds like they want them all dead lol.

Last edited:

SauerJackson

If you put in some leg work and ask a few local farmers, they'll tell you if the yotes are around n most likely be glad to let you kill em! ;)