Yet More Bear Gun ?s Part II (or is it III, IV, V....)

Schmit

Staff Alumnus
Continued from Old topic thread which was getting slow to load.

------------------
Schmit
GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

[This message has been edited by Schmit (edited March 11, 2000).]

Hueco

Perhaps this is only the sappy conservationist coming out in me, but I do not think 00 buckshot would kill the bear if it were shot in the face. Hmmm...If I am going to shoot him, I don't want to just severly wound him. Sure, he probably will leave, but the poor thing now has 12 holes in his face! Even in this situation of protection of life, I still believe in a quick, humane kill should I have to shoot. Just my opinion though....

Hueco

Wanted to add a few things. If a bear attacks me on a trail or in woods, then I was in HIS territory. He attacks out of instinct (most of the time, no doubt there have been some bears that were like the Tsavo lions). So really, I have no right to charge into his area (knowing that I am or not), then wound him (maybe mortally, maybe not), and have him live for who knows how long in pain and suffereing. No, if I were to intrude on a bear, and he were to attack...I really think I should put him down quickly and with as little pain as possible. Just because he attacks me doesn't mean he is automatically signed up for terrible suffering -- only death. In the criminal justice system, convicted criminals are punished through suffering (to some extent). But that is because we humans are moral, ethical creatures responsible for our actions. Bears are not -- they are simply another piece of nature. Now, what I have said in this post will probably bring some disagreements. Understand, I mean no disrespect to anyone. This is just how I see it.

[This message has been edited by Hueco (edited March 13, 2000).]

2 band Enfield rifle in .58. Use a 500 grain Pritchett ball. If nothing else, you can attach the saber bayonet and countercharge him.

More seriously, I'd use a two barrel .58 caliber rifle with a heavy lead minie ball.

dZ

It prolly makes some sense to lock & load a couple of dogs on your hike to act at an early warning system. Just gotta make sure they hang tight and don't go looking for trouble.

A couple of 20 pound Jagd Terriers will bay a bear. A Karelian bear dog would be a great choice too. http://www.mtdirect.com/bpaw/bphist.html

dZ

Hueco

I do know that when hiking it is best to have louder-than-normal converstations -- and generally just make a ruckus. Besides, with a massive, heavy pack on, I am not the most graceful person...I am a bit heavy-footed. :) But definately, noise is an excellent "early warning system" as you said.

Hueco

Hueco

I get what you are saying...kind of. What I am saying is that the best thing when charged by a bear is a clean, quick kill. (Now how that clean, quick kill is best accomplished -- still a lot of discussion on that. But I know 00 buckshot isn't the way.) This does two things, first it eliminates the threat -- quickly. A dead bear is a lot less likely to hurt me (or anyone else) than a wounded bear is. Concerning protection-quality, putting the bear down (completely dead) works a lot better than just making him stop charging. If the goal is to stop a charge or attack -- death is the best, safest option. Second, there is no advantage or point in torturing the bear simply because I've startled him. Like I said....perhaps I am just a hyper-conservationist. And no flame taken :). And too, this is my opinion. Have a good one!!

Hueco

bou3

I look at it this way. Killing the bear on one shot is what I want most but my objective is to stop the charge. If I wound it, theres a good chance it will give me some time (hopefully) for a good clean kill. If it runs off, I'm screwed because then I will have to go after it and finish it. The last thing I want is a wounded bear running around in a hiking area. I use a 45-70 so I leave the buckshot at home.
Just my .02
Joel