Yet more adventures in funky cool homebrew sights :)

Jim March

As some have been following, I've been doing my own homebrew clone of the "Hexsite" concept using a single action Ruger New Vaquero in 357 as a testbed.

Which took me here:

3320547627_99cbbbb676.jpg

I modified this one more time by pulling out the fiber optic core. It was more of a distraction than anything else. I still had problems with "light glinting" on the front sight throwing my aim off, and the front "mini-hex" wasn't all that useful. What I really needed was a dead conventional front post, as black as possible.

I pondered how to get there for a long time, and then I got it - bigtime. Blacken the front sight with shadow, not paint or similar:

3617053759_8136874cdb.jpg

This is THE answer for me!

The front sight is based on the same vertical post as before, with the "minihex" pulled off and high-grade putty epoxy used to form a perfect square conventional front post. Normally that wouldn't hold up to holstering and such but the same brass tube that's creating dead black shadow is protecting the front sight from any harm.

While sighting, the inside of the brass tube is actually invisible. The same hex rear as before is in there and obscures my view of the inside of the tube. The only difference is that the front post is dead black at all times.

There's a slot cut in the face of the original metal post that the tube dovetails into, and then it screws down at the rear.

This setup is actually closer to Tim Sheehan's theories than the last try, even though it looks even less like his sights. He uses a high-tech polymer front that's very "glint resistant" to get as black a front as possible while still being compatible with conventional holsters, whereas my setup HAS to have custom holsters...since I make my own holsters, no problem for me :).

As a bonus, this looks more "sorta period correct", kinda like those full-barrel-length brass sights seen on 19th century rifles:

orig.jpg

Besides a much-improved front sight and general alignment, this latest concoction is also fast as hell out of the fanny pack draw, much more snag-resistant.

I don't yet have a good down-the-sights pic - I hope to get that tonight or tomorrow. But it's basically "conventional post within hex".

Regarding the whole Hexsite concept:

Tim forwarded an EMail to me today from a cop in Colorado who had to pull a gun on a crook in extreme low-light conditions - with a Hexsite-equipped S&W 9mm auto of some sort. No shots fired, but his notes on sight alignment and target ID under these conditions is worth paying attention to:

Hey Tim,

This is the fifth time since you installed your Hexsites on my duty gun last year, that I have targeted a potentially dangerous felon. Again I was able to see the big picture, this time in very low light, in the rain at eight yards with the felon in burglar black clothing and gloves. Having both eyes open and focused on the target while looking through the sights, again, gave me the tactical advantage and confidence that I needed so if I did have to shoot, I would have definitely hit him center mass.

It was 0115 hours, just after talking with you about that confused guy on the web thread asking advice about shooting with only one eye open. I was thinking about what I would tell that guy when I got the call of a silent alarm at the bicycle shop. I was there in 45 seconds, peered into the lowest corner of the window and saw the burglar pulling a bike out of the rack inside the shop.

Alone as usual, I called for the Sheriff’s Office for backup, drew my sidearm and flashlight and moved to a position of cover under the eve of the barber shop next door to get out of the rain. I was about eight yards from the rear gate of the fence that surrounds the bike shop. The gate was open and two brand new bicycles were leaning against the garbage dumpster. I looked through the Hexsites while focusing on the open gate. There was some backlighting from a distant street light in the courtyard behind the fence allowing me to center the sights in the gateway.

Before the SO could get there, the burglar started to out of the gate carrying a bicycle. I could see my Hexsites faintly centered on his chest as I was looking at black clothing through black sights in the rain on a dark night. I turned on my high intensity flashlight momentarily blinding the felon. It is so cool to be able to look through the Hexsites and see everything in front of him, behind him and around him, and that his hands were empty as he dropped the bicycle as turned away while I was shouting commands at him. With that much illumination on him, the Hexsites stood out prominently on his chest and because I was able to track his body movement so easily through the sights, I had no doubt that if I had to shoot; it would have been a one shot stop on this predator.

So if you ever hear from the confused guy on the web thread, tell him in my twenty-five years as a cop and pointing and aiming guns at felons with all kinds of different sight configurations under every imaginable environmental conditions and lighting, his best bet is to throw away the night sights, the red inserts, 3 dots and the big white things, and keep both eyes open and on the target and look through the Hexsites to see the big picture in the gunfight.

Of course, the instructor in us should remind him that sighting the pistol is only one fifth of handgun shooting. Stance, grip, trigger manipulation and follow through are also vital for “target shooting” accuracy.

Again, my compliments to you and your sighting system.

Officer Tom Carline
Berthoud Police Department

The burglar ran off and made an escape - but NOT on a stolen bicycle. :neener: And the cop says he's pretty sure they'll get the guy later.

The real point here is that the officer could tell the guy was unarmed and make the no-shoot decision in poor lighting, while holding the sights dead on the guy at the same time. He had perfect confidence in his ability to shoot AND do threat-ID simultaneously. With normal sights, you have to switch from target-focus to ID the threat and then to front-sight-focus to shoot, messing up your speed and confidence.

The Hexsite lets you do both at once. And the target-focus nature lets you easily hold both eyes open - it's far more natural than doing so with a front-sight-focus hold.

The cop was referring to this thread on TFL:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=358915

If it's not clear yet: this setup is BETTER than anything involving light-emitting sights (mainly tritium) because it doesn't interfere with what's in the background: the target. When you shine a flashlight in somebody's eyes in the dark, they can't see what's behind the flashlight. Same thing with tritium on a smaller scale.

For a while I tried fiber optic because it auto-dims as the light drops, but in all lighting conditions it's still more of a distraction than a help.

In the instance this cop talks about, this was the fifth time in his career he'd drawn down on a potential criminal threat and the first with the Hexsite. What shocked him was how much of the target he could see and ID, due to both the target-focused nature of the Hexsite and the lack of obscuring light between him and the target.

REAL Hexsite availability:

Tim has these in stock for Glocks right now as a user-bolt-on option at prices ($130) less than most tritium setups, and easier to install yourself as there's no glass vial to break. The same for XDs is coming soon. Custom setups involving shipping him your gun are possible for most others, esp. autos.

http://www.goshen-hexsite.com/index2.htm

Autopistol (incl. Glock) details:

http://www.goshen-hexsite.com/pistols.htm

The Hexsite is a patented thing. Tim has given me a one-off permission to do independent testing of the concept to replicate the viability of this idea, and it's worked out OK because of how much I've talked about it after building and using it, but he doesn't want to see a flood of weird homebrew copies out there :D. Tim supported what I was doing because one, I was first to go homebrew and two, I'm testing it on something oddball as far as CCW goes.

(Sidenote: from this latest pic of mine you can see my "radical pinkie-under" grip, sorta. With my hand bent 90deg. off it's a little screwy. You can still make out how my pinkie bends way out and then curls under and up the other side...I have flexible hands. This is also why I round the bottoms of my grip panels.)

Dingoboyx

I like....

The headshot panic smiley on the ejector rod end :D

That would certainly be the look on my face if that were pointed at me :eek::D

Jim March

Um, actually that "forehead dot" is some sort of powder smudge. It's not intentional :). But it looks kinda cool like that.

I need to re-do it anyhow (it's just printed on paper then nail-polished over). I might alter it some.

There's not enough room to do one that I want...might have that engraved onto white polymer grips if I get some scratch together....

attachment.php

Attachments

• cthuluskull.jpg
    cthuluskull.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 293

Atticus Thraxx

Jim you have a gift, thats for sure. I live quite close to you and I'd bet we shoot at same range. So if someone comes up to you with a big goofy grin, staring at your Ruger, please don't be alarmed!

Jim March

Actually...I'm in Tucson AZ these days. *Might* be moving to SoCal though in a couple of months...possible cool new job.