Yet another "What would you buy" thread: 10mm

ligonierbill

Hey, the arguments can be entertaining, and sometimes I learn something.

So, 10mm pistol. Mostly range gun, maybe go to the woods with me. Not a carry gun or a "nightstand" piece. I prefer the single action trigger of a 1911-style design, but I could be talked out of it. Price is not important, but value is. I do roll the dice on used guns, so "don't go there" advice is welcome. Yeah, I load my own.

Commence firing!

wild cat mccane

I always attack 10mm as being ballistically almost useless for price. Gold Dot and HST are at 40 FPS. Should say everything about it since 40 with both those rounds do exactly what they need to do. Making a working round go faster isn't a benefit.

But I'm looking heavily at the Sig X-Ten to finally eat my words.

Last edited:

44 AMP

Staff
Making a working round go faster isn't a benefit.

Maybe not to you, but a lot of people think differently, and that's why we have cartridges such as the .357 & .44 Mag and heavy loads in .45 Colt and others.

And, if you're trying to say that the 10mm is a .40S&W "made to go faster", you've got it bass-ackwards...if anything, the .40 is the 10, "made to go slower", but that's not entirely correct, either.

And, finally, the OP isn't looking at the 10mm for POLICE use, he's looking at it for his personal use, so what is, or isn't useful to the police doesn't mean squat.

I don't do the 10mm/.40 rounds, so I don't have any direct personal advice for the OP, other than I think a properly made and set up 1911 pattern gun is better than a DA or striker fired polymer anything for recreational shooting enjoyment.

wild cat mccane

And yet, the heaviest and slowest modern bullets on luckygunner 9mm do better than most 357 loads. Modern skiving, lead, and bonding makes what once required velocity to no longer require velocity. We can argue forever, but HST proves someone is right and the other is not. Second slowest and the number one heaviest, HST 150gr 9mm, is what most old 357 wish it could be. Ranger 147gr at 900fps walks on most 357.

Pedals on a bullet can only fold back after a point and becomes a non benefit hollow point. That's called bullet failure. At that point, get FMJ. At that point, hot isn't needed.

I think the Sig X-Ten is a good bargain. The Girsan 10mm 1911 if you are feeling spicy given the price?

Last edited:

wild cat mccane

The 10mm FCU on the X-Ten apparently goes to any of the grips, just not the other way around.

Obviously a standard P320 in 10mm in coming very soon.

The Gen5 Glock 20 SKU is also on gun.deals right now, not in stock, but that means it's about to drop.

HiBC

I don't have a 10 mm.
For SD, (IMO),in most cases its not the best (with full power loads) .
Controllability with adequate penetration is generally what helps put hits on vital organs.

For a more powerful handgun,such as deterring a large biting creature...
I bought a Super Blackhawk near 50 years ago. I cut the barrel to 5 inches so I could sit in a pickup without tipping.
Is it the ultimate best? Probably not. But at 70 yrs, I'm not facing down wolf packs or bears or raging Bullwinkle. For any situation I'm likely to encounter...I have holster hardware that I'm confident in. The Lipsey Special 44 Spl Ruger is good,too. As is a 1911.

However!!

If I felt a need for a new wolf/bear/ cougar/ Bullwinkle etc gun...

The boutique Buffalo Bore,etc 200 gr plus hard cast 10mm loads exeeding 1200 fps are pretty serious stuff. I cast and reload. They will penetrate and they have good bullet weight for bones. A quick reload to follow a mag dump is encouraging. No,not a 41 Magnum... But a tool to fill a similar need. Magazine capacity of 15 rounds plus ....
Everything is more expensive these days,but last time I checked a 10mm Glock 20 was about $600. I'm not a big Glock fan,I don't own one. But they are a good,dependable tool.

Yes,there are other expensive options. And I doubt I can buy a Glock 20 for $600 today. But if I needed a "Major Caliber" woods gun, a 10 mm Glock 20 would be (probably) how I would spend my money.

You may disagree,of course. Maybe you have a better answer, but the 10 mm Glock 20 is not a WRONG answer.

Last edited:

44caliberkid

Nice pistol. What if I said "5 inch barrel"?
Since it’s a range or walk in the woods gun, and if you have other 5 inch 1911s, I think you should consider a long slide, whether 1911 or Glock 40. Improved ammo performance, longer sight radius, and it’s just cool.

44 AMP

Staff
And yet, the heaviest and slowest modern bullets on luckygunner 9mm do better than most 357 loads.
In what way?

Modern skiving, lead, and bonding makes what once required velocity to no longer require velocity.

ok, so how does that render additional velocity undesirable, other than when recoil increases significantly??

We can argue forever, but HST proves someone is right and the other is not. Second slowest and the number one heaviest, HST 150gr 9mm, is what most old 357 wish it could be. Ranger 147gr at 900fps walks on most 357.

Again, in what way(s) does it "walk on" most .357 loads?

I am trying to understand your point, but I'm confused. Sorry.

TunnelRat

Not every semiautomatic pistol, or firearm in general, that a person owns has to be owned from the perspective of some measure of ballistic efficiency. You can own a firearm in a cartridge just because you want to. I carry a 9mm. I own handguns in other cartridges because I enjoy them. The OP here asked for input for a pistol in a specific cartridge. We don’t need to debate the usefulness of that cartridge.

If you want something with a very nice trigger, I’d look for a 1911 in 10mm. If you want more of a service pistol I might wait until the Gen 5 Glocks in 10mm come out.

sevt_chevelle

CZ's custom shop makes a 10mm. I've never fired one but I bet they are very nice.

No they don't.
CZ killed the 97 last December, with no base guns to build off one can't offer custom guns.
Only a very small few like none were made and CZ custom won't even do the modification on a customer supplied gun

Am going with a Tanfoglio hunter. 6in slide with bull barrel and 14rds.

In what world does a 9mm walk over a 357 mag?