Yet another "Thinking about buying..." thread

jhansman

I am considering adding a 7.5" Ruger Redhawk .44mag in SS to my revolver collection, partly because my fondness for wheelguns is growing exponentially and partly because I'm attracted to this caliber (and what I think are the great overall looks of this model)
RH.jpg
I already have a GP100 that I love to shoot and reload for, so my hesitation comes from wondering if, like others I've talked with and read here, I will enjoy this gun long term and if it will actually be fun to shoot. I'm not a hunter, so this will be strictly a range gun. So, I guess my question is for you .44 owners, are you glad you bought yours, would you buy it again if necessary, and do you shoot the gun on a regular basis? We're talking a fair-sized investment here for the gun, components, dies and such, so I want to make an informed decision. BTW, I plan on shooting a friend's .44 this weekend; not the same gun, unfortunately, but it should give me an idea of what's in store. TIA!!

Last edited:
got my eye on the same revolver, but it is scoped with a Leupold scope. I had one in the past but had to sell it due to hard times. I loved it then and I am sure I will love it now.

jhansman

I did that with my GP100 (i.e., sell), another reason why I am careful when I buy now. Now I do my best to buy guns I will keep, so as much as this one appeals to me, I've read too many threads from those who didn't keep their .44s. I hope to hear from other here. Thanks.

Last edited:

BarryLee

Yes, I have been considering the same gun in either 4.2” or 5.5”. I haven’t actually found one in a local shop to see how it feels, but then again only checked one place. I had a Blackhawk at one time and really enjoyed shooting it at the range, but sold it to get money for another gun and always regretted it. I hope to use it for range use and as a woods gun.

The place I went today did not have any .44 Magnums in stock, but did have a S&W500 and man that things a cannon.

Also, have you considered the S&W 629 .44 Magnum? If so just curious why you selected the Ruger?

shootniron

Bought my first Redhawk nearly 20yrs ago and it is identical to the one that you have pictured. Used it for range use and hunting and it is a pleasure to reload for and shoot. My favorite round for it is a medium load of around 1200fps in a cast bullet, it shoots this lights-out and is a pleasure to shoot.
Now, if I were buying this gun today, it would sport the 5.5" barrel rather than the 7.5 as it does. The shorter barrel will do everything that I want or need for it to do and just makes the gun handle better.

Anyway, buy it and enjoy....you will never look back.

jhansman

Also, have you considered the S&W 629 .44 Magnum? If so just curious why you selected the Ruger?

I have looked at the S&W choices, but owning two Ruger revolvers already, I come back to them because of their affordability and quality. Not to take anything away from S&W (can't, and wouldn't try). I gotta say, though, that Redhawk is just a damn good looking handgun. In truth, I've always wanted a .44, but only now have seriously considered it.

Now, if I were buying this gun today, it would sport the 5.5" barrel rather than the 7.5 as it does. The shorter barrel will do everything that I want or need for it to do and just makes the gun handle better.

I hear you, but somehow this gun seems to call out for the longer barrel, at least to me. I like the 4" length of my GP100—it seems to be ideal for the caliber. I know the longer barrel suits the RH better for the woods, but every time I look at the 7.5" model, it just looks right.

Last edited:

Jim March

I would get the SuperRed myself. Updated innards - basically a scaled-up GP100. Takes the same grips as a GP100 in fact.

jhansman

I would get the SuperRed myself. Updated innards - basically a scaled-up GP100. Takes the same grips as a GP100 in fact.

Interesting you should say that, as the new Hogue grips Ruger puts on the GP100 were the first thing I changed on mine, and went back to the original rosewood/rubber insert grip. Also, I just like the looks of the RH better.

I need a model s&w 629 or this 44 ruger pictured above

Now, that's the spirit! :D Once you move past "want," well...

Smaug

Yes, you will love it, as a handloader.

To be honest, it is not that rewarding to the non-handloader. One has the choice of getting raped for full-house magnum ammo that will beat you up, or getting raped for 44 Special, that is accurate and fun and won't beat you up.

As a handloader, you have any number of options: Full-magnums are fun sometimes, and good for hunting and long range shooting. For even more range but less recoil, a full magnum powder charge but with a lighter bullet is less punshing. For target shooting, a light bullet and a light powder charge is good. For defense, a good 44 Special commercial round with a hollow point bullet.

But to be honest, without hand loading, I would not have this gun. It is simply too expensive to feed otherwise.

For you, the only drawback I can see to this gun is that it will probably cause you to give up your GP-100. Unless the GP is carried, there is just nothing it can do that the Redhawk can't do better. I thought about getting a GP-100, as it is a classic in its own right. But it just wouldn't add any functionality for me, since I've already got the Redhawk.

I don't know if you considered the Super Redhawk too, but except for pure hunting duty, I consider the Redhawk the better gun. It has a different action, one which is smoother DA than the Super Redhawk, GP-100, and SP-101. (which are all basically the same) The SA is about the same. The Super Redhawk may be better with recoil than the Redhawk, due to the rubber grip covering a smaller grip stud. The Redhawk puts the steel frame right in one's hand. But with the grip on the one you pictured, the recoil isn't bad, even with magnum loads. It swivels up in one's hand under recoil a bit.

Where are you located? (you might consider adding this to your profile info) Maybe you can get a test firing from a fellow forummer. If you're in northern IL or southern WI, you're welcome to meet me at a range and have a go.

Bottom line: I think you should get it. But be prepared to fall in love with it, and suddenly have less time for your GP. ;)

Smaug

By the way...

If you get one, get the nice rosewood grips. If you don't like them, I'll send you my Pachmayr Presentation grips for shipping cost only. They cover the frame and absorb some recoil, but they don't let the gun swivel in one's hand. In short, they absorb some recoil, but they force you to TAKE it. ;)

Mine came with the Pachmayrs and the stock ones. I took the Pachmayrs off pretty quickly. Not only do they not look as good, but they don't feel as good either.

Hogues would feel slightly better than a Pachmayr under recoil (the finger grooves feel great, and the rubber is softer) but they're even uglier. You will probably find you like the lighter loads anyway, so there's no point in having ugly grips. :cool:

Webleymkv

My first .44 Magnum was a Ruger Redhawk with a 5 1/2" barrel. The previous owner had a trigger job done that gave the gun a trigger to rival my S&W's. It was a nice enough gun and I can't complain about the quality of it, but it was just too big and heavy for what I wanted (something I could CC occasionally without undue discomfort). I wound up selling it to my younger brother (who still owns it and is quite happy with it) and putting the money towards a S&W 629 which I still own.

64.jpg

jhansman

Good to know about reloading for it. Right now I only load three calibers, and a fourth would be welcome (any reason to be at the bench is a good one). And yes, I thought about the .44 pushing my GP100 onto the back burner. That's kind of what the GP has done to my XD45. I love to shoot them both, but hate picking up brass. Gettin' lazy in my old age. :rolleyes:

The .44 would not ever be carried, either, so unless I am content to have it at the range only, there's not much point in adding it to the mix. Sigh. Decisions, decisions. Thanks to all who have chimed in. You've given me much food for thought.