Yet Another Rifle........Really?

amprecon

For some reason I want yet another rifle. I have a scoped M1A rifle, I consider it my long range field gun. I have an SLR-95 with red dot, I consider it my short range shtf gun. I have an M1 Garand which I consider my eotwawki living in caves gun. I have the trusty 870 shotty for my short range last ditch defense gun.
But there's just this itch I have for a gun that should cover all these bases, just one, one that no matter what the circumstances will serve all the purposes and I don't do .223.
I had initially been smitten with the 6.8spc cartridge specifically in an XCR platform, but as the ammunition comes in varying designs and power offerings for guns with various chamber dimensions I've pretty much decided that I don't want to get involved in that mess, especially as ammo is not as ubiquitous as 7.62x39 or .308 yet.
So I had considered the XCR in 6.8, then came the Kel-Tec RFB, I was smitten at first a .308 bullpup rifle that gets pretty good reviews. Then there are the AR-10 series of rifles but I am not a fan of the DI gas system. I owned a PTR-91 for a very short while, the ergonomics sucked.
I looked at the FAL and while it was sexy and felt good it also didn't feel quite as balanced as say a Garand or M1A and it felt tinny and nose heavy I even considered the carbine version which I am still considering as a possibility.
As my first love is the M1 Garand rifle and it's cousin the M1A, the M1A scout has always remained on my radar as an all-around do-it-all rifle. The only drawback I can see with it is not being able to add a magnifier to any red dot sight I would put on it. I already have the ammo and the magazines for it and it is essentially the same gun as the M1A standard and scout scope or red dot sight ready.
So I'm leaning farther and farther away from the FAL carbine and more towards the M1A Scout Squad just to have the commonality of weapons and equipment.
But the question is, do I really need it? I think the SLR-95 is adequate out to 300 yards. The scoped M1A is more than adequate out to 300 yards, so why an M1A Scout?

hobunchastuf

We're traveling down the same road!! All the same questions in my camp... Have owned several M1As and .308 bolt guns. Went with an FNAR to experiment with for my 300 yard setup. Has been a great reliable shooter with nickel size groups @100 right out of the box.

Still wanted a close up and personal .308 and a Scout came knocking on the door. HAD to be a sign. Grabbed it up and been looking for a Red Dot. Feels good and plenty strong for defense.

Best luck with your search!!

amprecon

Well, I made up my mind, held my nose and dove right in.

I went with a Rock River Arms LAR-6.8 Mid-Length A4.

bobn

looks like you have enough of one general kind of rifle.....take a look at some others, like lever action ones, single shot buffalo rifles etc...whole lot more to explore! bobn