yet another gift question

btmj

I reside in Missouri, as does my father. My sister lives in Texas, and my brother lives in Indiana.

We want to give our father a $600 handgun as a gift. He is not a prohibited person. This will be a new purchase from a local gun shop.

To me the obvious way to do this is my brother and sister both send me $200 each. I go to local Missouri gun shop, and buy the gun... and when I fill out form 4473 question 11a (are you the actual buyer of the firearm) I answer yes. After I take possession, I wrap the gun as a Christmas present and give it to my Dad.

But... I have to wonder if this is completely correct. The funds to buy the gun came from 3 people, two of whom reside in another state.

Thoughts?

Jim

carguychris

btmj said:
To me the obvious way to do this is my brother and sister both send me $200 each.
Any time you buy a gun with someone else's money, with the intent to give the gun to another person- even a third party- it can generally be argued that you are not the "actual purchaser". This is true regardless of whether the recipient can lawfully possess or receive the firearm.

http://www.scotusblog.com/case-files/cases/abramski-v-united-states/

My blanket recommendation in cases such as these is to give the person gift cards.