Yes!!! Drew on DM549

wyobohunter

Well, I'm freekin pumped! My buddy & I put in for a party hunt on DM549 (Homer area Antlerless Moose) and we got lucky as there is a 2% chance of drawing this tag. This means we can shoot a calfless cow or a legal bull as per normal harvest regs. My odds of a freezer full of meat went up exponentially this year. I'm prolly going to bring two guns each time I go out:

- My Model 700 LSS in .338 RUM is set up for long range but it's pretty heavy so it will only go on short jaunts away from the truck.

- My 1895 GS in 45-70 Gov. is lightweight and still a heavy hitter but w/the 405 gr. loads and ghost ring sights it's limited to about 150 yds.

- My buddy will be packin his Tikka T3 Lite in 300 Win. so, medium-longish range is covered while away from the truck... Season opens Aug 20 so I better get to reloading & dialing the rifles in.

wyobohunter

Well, changed my mind on the rifle already. After taking stock of my bullet/powder/primers situation I'm going to bring only one rifle. My Tikka T3 Lite 30-06 Springfield. I have a large supply of Swift Scirocco II 180 gr. poly tip BT bullets, 8# of H4350, tons of CCI BR-2 LR primers and a gob of fire formed-neck turned-flash hole deburred brass. This will save me a good chunk of $ and esp. time (rifle is pretty close to bieng dialed in with these components).

The Swift bullets have a .52 B.C., my chronied velocity is 2700 fps and groups are under 1 MOA; with my sling and Leupold ultra light 3-9x33 scope the rifle weighs only 7 lbs 4 oz. I think this setup will be a happy medium between lightweight/handy and long range. Plus, less than 1/2 the time at the range frees me up to do some pre-season scouting.