Yeah, I did it...

ligonierbill

I traded my 66-2 2 1/2" and a few $ for a Glock 23. Now, I know I'm going to like the Glock. It's got a few upgrades, and 2 boxes of Winchester Ranger came with. But why, oh why did I give up the K frame? Well, my loading manuals tell me that the .357 tops the .40...in a longer barrel. My chronograph says probably not in a 2 1/2". I managed to get 1200 fps with a 140 gr. Hornady XTP, pretty good I thought. The .40 will do just as well, I'm sure, and the short barrelled Smith was just plain hard to shoot well (for me, anyway). No, I am not leaving the faith. This weekend, the Blackhawk .45 will be on my belt in the PA woods. And a Colt Python just went on my wish list. Just no more snubbies for me.

Smaug

Well, let's see how you feel in a couple months.

But I can tell you one thing for sure. You got shafted on the trade-in. You should have been a bit more patient and sold it.

ligonierbill

Thought about that. The seller is a friend with a FFL and a good rep among those who have dealt with him. Sure he'll make a few bucks off the Smith, but my time is very valuable (too me, at least). I have not sold on the internet, so I'd spend that time learning something I wouldn't use again. Ad in the paper is out. There are folks in my neck of the woods who would put the revolver to an unholy use, and you can't pick them out by their looks. I could have just paid cash and had both, but there is a good person out there who can pass a background check and will enjoy the hell out of that little cannon. I'll run 50 through the Glock tomorrow and we'll see if I made a good choice.

Smaug

That's a good point bill, about not knowing how the private buyer would use it. The time is another good point, if you don't sell guns that often. I believe there is a way to have a background check done on a private buyer, but it would of course complicate things a bit.

ligonierbill

Good discussion, but I'll close one point. I'm not trading the Glock! Took it out this morning, and first time out I shot better than I usually did with the 66. It's just easier to shoot. Similar on felt recoil, but much less muzzle flip and blast. I do believe my wife will shoot it, also. She can operate the slide and without the big muzzle blast, I think she'll do fine. So, right now I have nothing I would part with.