XS sights-- any one have 'em

KUHIO

thinking about putting them on my XD subcompact 9. Just looking from some reviews from users with these sights.

golfnutrlv

I do not have them, but a guy who works at my range has them on his Glock 19. I had the opportunity to try them. I liked them. They take a little getting used to, and overall, are not as good for target shooting (IMO). For self defense though, A++++++. Easy to find the big dot, have the night sight feature, etc.

I give them a thumbs up.

12GaugeShuggoth

I have a set on my xd40 subcompact (the 24/7 big dot) and absolutely love them so far. Much easier for rapid fire than the standard 3 dot sights, and IMO nothing is lost when firing slowly for target work. As the obvious plus, the tritium is wonderful for low light conditions. I'd say go for it, but then again I might be biased :).

cswilder

I got a set (24/7 big dot) on a gun I traded for recently. I think they are awesome as far as speed of target acquisition and rapid fire. I found it very easy to shoot with both eyes open using them and I haven't had much success doing that with other sights. I didn't notice any lack of accuracy with slow fire at 15 yards compared to the other guns I shot that day.

rburch

I want a set for my CZ-75.

The XS web sight says installation requires Filing Front Sight To Accept Cross Pin-CZ-0002S-5-

Anybody know exactly what this involves?

Anyway, I've never used them but they look like a good idea.

PDXGS

I left the same answer in the "Smithy" section:
I have installed an XS front sight on a S&W J frame which requires the same filing and cross pinning.
Basically, some front sights sit in a trough that runs the direction of the bore. The front sight sits in this trough and is cross-pinned with a roll pin. It's a good practice to have a new roll pin and the proper punch so that you can remove the current cross pin and replace it with a new one. Yu'll also need a measure device to accurately measure the new cross pin and a cutting device to cut it to the correct length. You may also have to file the bottom of the sight to make sure it sits at the proper depth-the same depth that the stock sight sits at. You can use a file to do the coarse filing than can to a wetstone to finish the finer filing. To measure the height of the sight and the roll pin I used a set of dial calipers. I used a Dremel tool with a cut-off disk to cut the roll pin. You can get the roll pin puches and a decent brass and plastic hammer at any Sportsman's Warehouse or online at Midway or Brownell's. I use a thick piece of leather to lay the gun on when I do the hammering...most Michaels crafts store have leather scraps and most cobblers, custom leather clothiers or saddlery shops have bigger pieces that you can use a gun map. XS also suggested some LocTite. I used a Red permanent version.
All in all it sounds mre complicated that it really is but it's worth doing slowly and correctly.

Chinny33

Kahr PM9

I have them on my PM9 (put them on myself)

AWESOME....so much better than the 3 dot sight....

not as accurate, but WAY faster target acquisition.

orionengnr

Guess I'll have to be the lone dissenting voice.

When I bought my PM9, it had the Big Dot XS sights on it. I did not like it at all. The point of aim and sight picture were so different than anythjing else I owned or carried, that it adversely affected my accuracy and confidence in the firearm As my 9 months of the year EDC, that was unacceptable. I got rid of the Big Dot, replaced them with the MeproLight Tritiums and lived happily ever after.

Must be something about old dogs and new tricks... :)

I've been looking at the XS sight system as well. Does anyone have them on a 1911? I'm sure that they are great for rapid fire but I'm worried about them affecting overall accuracy too much.

PDXGS

I bought them for my J-frame S&W because the damned pistol only has a top groove and a front sight....The XS big dot Tritium works very well. I'm able to hit the black at 25 yds with .38+P or .357...Much better than I could do with the crap stock front sight...
The XS battle sight for the AR15 is a POS. I sent them back to Midway without even installing them. The beveled face of the small aperture was facing the wrong direction to see the tritium vials clearly....but that's another story...

kitkat

I bought my Beretta 92FS Type M with them and am still trying to get use to them. they are really nice and once you figure them out i hear they are allot quicker

Mike in VA

I had them on a Kimber Ultra Carry. The do take a bit of getting used to, but as combat sights go, they're super - fast acquisiton, good accuracy (< 10 yds) and easy follow-up. They can also be shot accurately at moderate distance with practice, but they are definitely not target sights.

Creature

Absolutely LOVE mine...I have them on a Sig P226. Super fast to acquire and I am still capable of great accuracy with them ...despite what some have written about them.

Erik

I've a j-frame with one. It works as advertized, drawing my eye faster than anthing else I've tried.

Erik

On accuracy, you'd notice little to no degradation of accuracy between my j-frame with the big dot and my j-frame without it. (I gain more in speed than I lose in accuracy, if I lose any.)

I've tried my hand at a few duty sized pistols outfitted with bg dots, noticing the same results: my eye quickly picks up the big dot without much if any accuracy degredation.

Caveat: I have good eyes and pick up "standard" front sights quickly, thus my benefit may not be what someone with poorer eyesight might be.

Smaug

I have them on my High Power

I agree with others' experience.

Hard to do precision shooting with, but very fast acquisition.

One thing to keep in mind: answers to questionnaires to folks who have had to shoot at someone was "Did you use the sights at all?" The overwhelming answer is "No."

You may be better served by getting a good flashlight mounted and practicing point shooting. :cool:

Sam06

I like them a lot. They are fast and they glow in the dark, bigtime. I don't think anyone will be winning Camp Perry Pistol matches with them but for a SD handgun they are nice.

AirForceShooter

I have them on my Charles Daly Hi-Power.
Took a little getting used to.
They come with instructions on how to use the. Ever seen that?

To my mind they are fantastic combat sights. Not target sights.
But for my old eyes that big front sight ball is wonderful.

AFS