XS Big Dot Sights

Do you like your XS Big Dot Sights for a DEFENSIVE roll on a carry pistol?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mbquimby

Before I order a set of 125.00 night sights that I have never personally seen, I'd like to get feel for how you guys like them. Please don't vote based on second or third hand scuttlebutt. This is for folks that have had them.

rep1954

I had to pick "I love them and wouldnt use anything else" because its the only option that wasnt a negative option. If they are available for a defensive gun that I'm using they are my first pick. They are much more accurate than non users give them credit for and there was no learning curve for me they were natural. Sig 226 DAK 9mm.

Sam06

I have them on G26 and they work very well. They take a little practice but once you get the hang of them they are fast and easy to see. At night the big dot really glows and is easy to pick up.

They work for me and I like them!

Last edited:

AirForceShooter

Have them on my Hi-Power.
Took a while to get used to the sight picture.

If you're going to go back and forth between guns it's a consideration.

If I'm shooting my 1911 and then pick up the hi power I have to think "different sights"

For combat shooting though they're great. The front sight is one BIG meatball.

AFS

reticle

I took a set off of my HK tactical; not because I didn't like them, but because they didn't clear the suppressor I bought. I did like them for fast up close shooting. They are good sights for old eyes too. Now they are just sitting in my box of misfit toys.

KenpoTex

I've had them on a couple of my Glocks (including my main CCW piece) for a few years. Been through classes (both range and FOF) with them, etc. I like them and I think that many shooters, particularly those with poor vision, could benefit from them.

That said, I'm looking at trying something new, not because I feel handicapped by the Big Dots, but just to re-evaluate my choices since it's been a few years since I've consistently shot with anything else.

9mm1033

On this gun, and with my poor up close vision, that front sight made a world of difference. Now, keep in mind, for me I needed a larger and more visible front sight and was not concerned about shooting 25-30 yards down range or rapid firing. So, I feel at close to mid range distances, the XS Big Dot works well.

DSCN5996-1.jpg

comn-cents

I had a S&W revolver with them on it. They were good for up close fast shooting I didn't like them for anything else (precision shots past 15yrds). I would put them on my daily CCW gun but that's about it.

Jimbo-Indy

Mine came with a Charles Daly clone of a High Power.
Didn't like them at all. Seemed very imprecise, not much better than point-shooting. Took the gun to a local 'smith and had the dovetails recut to fit a Novak rear with a fiber optic front. My groups improved right away.
My impression was the "big dot" was not much better than the old groved top strap as used on Colt SAA and J model S&W.
Waste of money in my opinion.

dpetreikis

I have them on a Sig P245. Came with the gun - probably wouldn't have made that choice personally - especially at their price point. Seem to give you a rough,quick, snap sight picture. Might be good in a purely defensive role, though my Sig seems to shoot significantly low with them. I'll probably trade them out for some 3-dot regular night sights, maybe next year. See how the POI/POA situation changes then.

plateshooter

Just took a low/no light fighting pistol course using the Big Dot sights on my M&P 9c. For me, they work great for a defensive pistol, and I had no problems hitting my targets with them at defensive ranges. For any kind of target or shots at targets 25yds or longer, I prefer the stock sights on my other M&P pistols.

1911rocks

Just like Jimbo Indy...kinda

Mine were on a CD Hi-Power clone. I swapped mine for the Tritium variety. Charles Daly got cheap and installed a Non-Tritium Std. Dot sight set. I swapped mine to the Tritiums (~$125.00) Then shot and shot the thing. It was fine for point shooting. That could have been attributed to the HP ergonomics. However, never did really feel like it was an improvement. I had other guns with 3 dot Tritiums so there was the multiplicity issue. Eventually got rid of the CD HP. On a snubby they might be OK. But I always thought snubbies were suppose to leave powder burns ;) when you actually used them. LOL

CDW4ME

I put them on a XSE Colt Lightweight Commander and I like them.

My 2nd shot times were slightly but consistently quicker with the big dots, when seeing how quickly I could keep both hits on a 6'' circle at 18 feet. (I averaged about 15 pairs). The Big Dots knocked the time down from .29 to .21 on average, or a reduction of .08 ( I said slightly ;) )

I have Meprolights on other pistols and the difference in look doesn't interfere with my shooting.

Attachments

• LWTCommander1L.jpg
    LWTCommander1L.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 59
  • LWTCommander2L.jpg
    LWTCommander2L.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 52

Claddagh

I've had them on two of my CCW weapons for several years. IME, they're absolutely the fastest system to index on target and get "A Zone" hits with at ranges out to 20 yds or so that I've ever used. IME, also capable of a good deal more precision than some would have you think at longer ranges once you've become accustomed to using them properly. Putting an eight-rd. mag-full of .45 ACP into the center-chest zone of a regulation IDP target at 50 yds can be done very consistently and quickly with some diligent practice.

If it's the possibility of things getting "Up-close-and-personal" that concerns you most, it'd be hard to find anything easier to learn to put your hits where they need to go - fast! with, IMHO.

I have a G21sf that I put the XS nite sights on and love them. I have no trouble getting good groups at 25 yrds. For quick target work they are perfect to me.

mbquimby

Thanks

Thanks for all the useful info and opinions. I think I will get a set of these sights for my carry XD. If I don't like them, there is always E-bay.

RobertSB701

Super Fast Sights!

I have the Big Dot Night Sights on my Glock 21! They are excellent combat sights. Super fast target acquisition.

Jeff22

XS big dot sights

I have a set of XS big dot sights on my M870 shotgun and I like them very much.

I just (two hours ago) got a used Kahr K9 with XS big dot sights. I'm going to take to the range early next week and put 250 rounds through it and I'll report back. I have limited experience with that sight system on handguns.