XDs shakedown

full case load

Took my XDs to the range yesterday for it's initial shooting. Not extensive, shot one each of my 4 magazines (2-5 round,2-7 round) Win, white box 230 gr FMJ. I experienced two failures to feed, 1 on each of the 7 round mags. I think both of them were on the 3rd round, (one might have been the 4th). As I was very pleasantly surprised by the light perceived recoil, do you think I may have been "limp wristing " it? I have never experienced a "limp-wristing" failure before, thus the reason for the question. I also realize a total of 24 rounds ain't even close to broke-in. edit to add; ejection was not a problem, only failure to correctly/completely feed.

Last edited:

Bart Noir

If you are like me when shooting my XD-S, you anticipate some excitement with such a small gun and grip it tight, tensing for the necessary control as it fires.

And that is just the opposite of "limp wristing". (Are we even allowed to use that phrase? Not too PC after all.)

Bart Noir

full case load

Thanks Bart, but I really was wondering whether any XDs owners had experienced feeding problems from "limp wristing". I'm not scared of recoil and it feels like it "kicks" barely more than My LC9. Probably just needs to wear in a bit.

Tom68

Mine is brand new, bought after the recall was underway with the necessary adjustments made prior to sale. I have about 100 rounds through it (all WWB with the exception of the Federal Premium 230 JHP that I use for carry... and I haven't shot very many of those).

all of this to say... I have experienced zero failures of any sort so far. it does sling brass all over the place, though...and not very consistently. some times forward of my position, sometimes behind, but normally to the right and generally about 7 yards away. makes police call a challenge.

at any rate, I've been very happy with the reliability so far, and i'll admit that i'm not a very sophisticated trigger man so I can't say for sure how great or not great the trigger is... but I expect it to improve over time. Accuracy is about what I expected in a 3.3" bbl .45ACP... which is better than the current owner's abilities, although not for lack of trying :)

roadrash

The 7 rd mags are problematic in many pistols including mine.Toss em in the junk drawer and buy more five round mgs.

full case load

roadrash, that's a bummer on two counts. I paid $50 per 7 round mag, and I was wanting to carry the extra two rounds. Was really hoping it was operator error. Going to play with them a couple more times then ?. Thanks all!

full case load

yep, junk to me. Went to the range today and ran another 28 rounds through the two 7 round mags (14 through each) and had 1 to 2 failures to feed for each full mag. Flawless for 20 rounds through the two 5 round mags. Will contact Springfield Armory tomorrow and see what they say.