XD's and Grip to muzzle height ...

LouPran

Someone suggested to me this (Grip to muzzle height) was a problem with XD's and a sort of consensus among competition shooters. Is this true?

If so, it's the first I've ever heard of it.

As a former Glock owner, and 1911, XD and CZ shooter, it was Glock I always had the problem with, finding I was shooting high when trying to shoot fast from one platform to the other, being most comfortable with 1911.

Just curious. Thanks guys.

Last edited:

LouPran

I posted this in competition shooting, but figure I may get more experienced opinions here too ...

Someone suggested to me this (Grip to muzzle height) was a problem with XD's and a sort of consensus among competition shooters. Is this true?

If so, it's the first I've ever heard of it.

As a former Glock owner, and 1911, XD and CZ shooter, it was Glock I always had the problem with, finding I was shooting high when trying to shoot fast from one platform to the other, being most comfortable with 1911.

Just curious. Thanks guys.

Strick

The glock is more of an issue with grip angle. The XD has a high bore axis comapred to others of like design. Look how much higher the center line of the bore is compared to a Glock or M&P. This could be an issue with competition shooting since the higher the bore axis the more likely it is to get more of a muzzle "flip" thus slower to get back on target. Sigs are another example of a high bore axis.

That said the XD/XDm are still excellent choices for IDPA or USPSA shooting.

Texas Rifleman

More than likely that problem was caused by the grip angle of the Glock. I think all of the pistols you mentioned have a similar grip angle except for the Glock, that being the common denominator. The XD shouldn't be a problem for you because it's ergos are similar to that of a 1911.

LouPran

This is very true.

I own both. Grip angle was always a problem for me with Glocks. But having a discussion with a guy about various guns, the claim is being made that XD's have a high grip to muzzle ratio.

Getting out the ole slide rule :p ... I found them all to be almost exactly the same, in similar calibers. So I'm just wondering if anyone else feels there's a problem with XD's in that regard.

LouPran

Thank you for the response.

I actually took my XD's and some others guns of similar calibers and lined them up, and could find no physical difference in bore axis or ratio to grip heights.

The slide is much more blocky, and thus likely slightly heavier, but I found the bore to grip is the same on them all. (This comparing 1911, CZ and XD ... no glock available for comparison) :confused:

azredhawk44

I agree with the assessment.

Too much flip for the type of gun it is.

Not certain if it is bore height, or proximity of the chamber to the backstrap, but there's "something" not quite right about the XD.

Mine is a 100% reliable pistol that I would have my (currently non-existent) 16 year old daughter carry on the roads of Armageddon, but when choosing a range or competition pistol to get to know intimately, it pales in comparison to a 1911 or CZ.

LouPran

Thanks for the replies all ...

So it may likely be some other factor not related to Bore:Grip height ratio that some complain about?

Agree on the reliability. It's the first gun I'd take to hell and back. :)

I've lost count of the number of rounds through mine, with absolutely zero problems.

OldShooter

I've seen a number of posts that say the XD has a high bore axis resulting in "too much flip". I've never measured my XD9SC or any other gun. I have a 1911 and several CZs that I love to shoot. However my XD is 100% reliable and accurate at defensive range and is the only one of my favorites that I can carry comfortably. To each his own.

LouPran

I agree Oldshooter.

As I said, a comparison of various guns showed no perceivable differences in the bore height to grip ratio. But maybe slide weight is the factor.

I love my XD's but I do notice Springfield lightened the slides on the M models.

My XDm .40 slide has a substantial amount of metal removed down both sides of the top of the slide. May make the difference. I wonder if these opinions are the same for M's?

CWPinSC

My XD9SC has almost no recoil and I can empty a mag in less than 5 seconds without the sights coming off target. The XD40SC does have a little bounce and I'm somewhat slower with it.

I can't say it's false since what the person experiences is their own perception. I will tell you as people complain about bore axis and muzzle flip I welcome it. Learning to use it to your advantage would turn a liability to an asset....but that's me.

LouPran

Tuttle8
I can't say it's false since what the person experiences is their own perception. I will tell you as people complain about bore axis and muzzle flip I welcome it. Learning to use it to your advantage would turn a liability to an asset....but that's me.

Thanks for the response Tuttle8 ... I agree.

I got into this discussion with a member of another forum and I just didn't ever see this being a problem with the XD ... whereas the claim was made this is a known problem for basically everyone that shoots them. :confused:

I have 2 XD's ... the 45acp and .40m and I love em. I had more trouble shooting Glocks with the unnatural for me, grip angle which DID make for a higher muzzle.

Lining up bores and grips showed me, more than anything, it must be a psychological deficiency, because actual grip to bore ratios were within micrometric measurements.

EdInk

The grip of the XD closely mimics an arched mainspring 1911. Muzzle flip is more an issue of recoil than bore axis. Some people just like to hear themselves speak.

I got into this discussion with a member of another forum and I just didn't ever see this being a problem with the XD ... whereas the claim was made this is a known problem for basically everyone that shoots them...

...I had more trouble shooting Glocks with the unnatural for me, grip angle which DID make for a higher muzzle. Lining up bores and grips showed me, more than anything, it must be a psychological deficiency, because actual grip to bore ratios were within micrometric measurements.

My observation:

The truth lies in the middle of the statements. It isn't a problem with everyone, but it is for some. Reason is, everyone has their own shooting style, their own shape, their own bone/muscle structure, etc. One can't speak for everyone.