XDs 9mm vs PPS 9mm capacities

ScotchMan

Hoping someone can clear up a question for me.

The Springfield XDs 9mm and Walther PPS 9mm, both with the flush-fitting magazines, have the following published dimensions.

OAL: 6.3"
Height: 4.4"
Width: 0.9"

Identical dimensions. However, the XDs holds 7 rounds of 9mm, and the PPS holds 6 rounds (again, with the flush-fitting magazines).

What is this black magic? How does the XDs fit an extra round in? Initially my thought was that the "width" is not actually the same, that the XDs must be a little wider. Maybe the PPS publishes the spec including the levers, and the Springfield doesn't?

Anyone have experience with both guns that can chime in?

SoilworK777

Posted capacity could be wrong. Info on the full size CZ-75 mag capacity was wrong for awhile. The guns holds 16 rounds, but specs said 15.

ScotchMan

I read your review, thanks. I'm pretty sure there are no typos anywhere, just possibly a discrepancy in how dimensions are measured. If they really are identical, that's a strong selling point for an upgrade...

Vermonter

I can measure

When I get home later. I don't have a caliper or anything but I can get close. To me the difference in measurement would be the height. Perhaps the xds mag is a better design or a different spring/follower.

I can tell you that it isn't using width in the mag to make up for anything as it is absolutely single stack.

Regards, Vermonter

Pilot

The 9MM XDs is a 7 + 1 pistol. The flush fit mag holds 7 rounds compared to the PPS's 6 rounds.

ScotchMan

Well, I found this video online, the below link starts at the part of interest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=bzfKlGsTRFU#t=299s

He says and does a lot of stupid things, but at the end he holds the XDs *sort of* next to the PPS. I am confident based on other reviews that the .45 and 9mm XDs are the same size (you can watch the hickok45 review of the 9mm to confirm that).

And it appears in the video that the PPS is quite a bit thinner.

If that is the case, it could be as I suggested, that the PPS is measured across the levers, and the XDs is measured without the levers, to get to the 0.9" number. If the PPS is a little thinner, that would explain the reduction in capacity.