XDS 45 versus the Sig p938 nightmare 9mm

ragwd

I was at the local gun range today, and for some reason that escapes me now, I thought it would be a good time to purchase another toy. The two that struck my eye the most were the springfield XDS 45 and the Sig p938 nightmare 9mm. Now this isnt a caliber war, so please lets not go there. Sig being about 100 bucks more. But this isnt about price either. They are both CCW size. I have a few of both SSA and Sigs, I feel they are both very very close in quality. I know the guys behind the counter but they got tired of me looking at them both. Oh well, But I walked out with one, wish I could have walked out with both. Which one would you have walked out with?????

Mystro

Sig P938 is smaller and lighter at 16oz. The Sig is a pocket pistol but dosent shoot like one. Its a top shelf quality pistol. The XDS 45 is a great compact pistol but it will still require a holster to carry comfortably. I would buy a XDS45 over a Glock 30. The Sig quality is in another league.IMO

Last edited:

ritepath

I've handled both shot neither.....tough call I love the size of the sig and quality. I love the Caliber of the XDS.

I'm sitting on one new 45 so I'd probably go with another. That being said the 938 is the only pistol that I'd felt that would make me ditch the LCP as a pocket pistol.

That being said the 938 is still a little heavy for a pocket pistol so I'd have to carry it on the belt. (the LCP's weight is tops for my pockets)

So since it's going on the belt and it's a 45 I'd pick the XDS.

Unless I was going to just buy the 938 to polish and look at.

IdahoG36

I was looking at the same two guns a few weeks ago as a new CCW, and I ended up going with the Springfield XDs .45.

The XDs felt better, more substantial, in my hands. Overall, I just preferred the XDs.

I purchased the XDs and have been very happy with it so far. I had two light strikes in the first 100 rounds, but it has been flawless through the last 200 rounds. I carry it loaded with Barnes Tac XPD 185 gr +P.

Ajtozzi

I carry an XDs so I may be a bit biased. The 938 shoots well for it's size but is, in my opinion, too heavy for pocket carry.

Ibmikey

My 938 has g10 grips and extended mag which provides an easy shooting and easily concealed package but choosing a firearm is a personal thing with me. Good luck with your choice.

ragwd

Well I did walk out with the Xds. I already have the glock 36 so why i needed this, who knows.

k565.jpg

srommes

I have both except my P938 is the Extreme version. I love the 938 but it doesn't really fit a niche for me presently. I carry my P238 in pocket and my XDS iwb. The 3 ounce difference between the 238 and 938 is noticeable in pocket so the 238 is as heavy as I'd want to carry anything in pocket (casual khaki's at work). The 938 is more of a iwb gun imo and I find the XDS more comfortable iwb than the 938, not to mention 5 rounds of .45 compared to 6 rounds of 9mm. That said, I do really love the P938. It's a great little gun!

Ibmikey

I agree with your 238/938 comments as I make my 238 a daily carry pistol however I use a iwb holster as I have no hips to keep up heavy pockets..cell phone, wallet, flashlight, money?, keys and a toothpick. Maybe I should leave the toothpick home.

srommes

The toothpick should make all the difference...;)

I should've also mentioned that I have a desk job and take my gun out of my pocket and put it in a desk drawer while at my desk. If I was walking around all day, even the 238 might start get annoying by days end.

IdahoG36

To the OP, just a little advice. I had 2 light strikes in the first 100 rounds, and in doing some research online, it seemed to be an issue with a lot of XDs owners. Some people had it happening 2-3 times per magazine.

When I purchase a new firearm, I always take it apart, clean and lube it before I take it out.

One thing that I overlooked though was the firing pin channel. Some people believe that the channel having grease in it was causing the light strikes.

After my first trip to the range, firing 120 rounds, and having the light strike issue, I researched online and found that. So, I removed the firing pin and found that it and the firing pin channel were packed with thick oil/grease. I cleaned it out completely and have since fired 200 more rounds through it without issue.

dontcatchmany

Do not know squat on the XDS, but I have a 938 AG.

I pocket carry and it is not a problem....my pants have not fallen down as yet and I also carry a lot of keys, cell phone and an insulin pump.

Carried the 938 with no pocket holster around for a week and my wife never knew it and she notices if I do not have my keys in my pocket.

I have a nylon pocket holster and carry the 938 in that at times to keep from scratching it up. Also have a clip on holster (if I can find the durn thing) that works well also.

The 938 shoots better than I do as I am getting accustomed to the short butt/grip. I just got (today) three extended 7 rd mags so I am going to shoot with them and the 3 six round mags tomorrow. The 7 rd mags feel better in my hands.

And I am thinking of a .45 (FNX or Bersa) to go with the 2 9s and a .40 and a 22 that I have. Gonna get a Sig 357 barrel for the .40 too.

As I have said before, the black handgun disease is even more evil than the black rifle disease.:D....and expensive too.

Any way, you should like the 938 if made after November 1, 2012.

BurgerBoy

Good luck finding a Bersa. I couldn't find one anywhere for my daughter so I gave her mine and I got a Beretta PX4 Compact, 9mm, for my gun.