XDM

Marquezj16

My wife and I were looking at some guns at a local Academy and she really liked the XDM Compact in .40 cal. Any personal experience and opinion about this model and caliber. She usually shoots a SIG SP2022 in 9mm and is very comfortable with the full size.:cool:

wbw

I don't have a Compact or a .40, but I do have the full size XDm in 9mm and it has been flawless in over a thousand rounds. It has fast become one of my favorites.
pistolpics010.jpg

Silent Titan

i have the full size xdm .40 and the guy across the street just got the compact version and after shooting both i can say they are damm fine guns. the interchangeable backstraps make it a good choice for just about any size of hand. the recoil is a bit snappy but all the .40 cal guns i have shot are. Very accurate, reliable (i have had no problems with mine, even when i put 250 rounds through it right out of the box) and they are easy to field strip for cleaning, it only takes a few seconds and no tools. i would recomend it twice over.

i own the full size 45. i never thought i would find a gun that fits my hand as nice as the sig p226, or a gun that handles the 45 round so well. if the compact is anything like the full size, the frame will eat up any extra recoil you may have expected from the 40.

Marquezj16

Concealed Carry

We were looking at the compact so she can conceal/carry it. Anybody use it for that purpose? What holsters do you use?
:cool:

Yung.gunr

I don't have the XDm, I shot my brother's and it makes me jealous with my plain old XD.:p . I can't say enough good stuff about the XDm, especially value for the $$. I would look into Comp Tac for the holster. They have a lot of good IWB stuff. I have the CTAC model and I really like it. It's nice with the two belt clips to distribute the weight.

wbw

"really, so do you like the p226 or the xdm better? If you were to only buy one, which would it be?"

I know that you were asking loose_holster_dan, but I'll throw my 2 cents in anyway. I have a SIG 229 that I like and have never had a problem with and I consider it a fine weapon. That being said, my XDm (pictured above in post #2) goes to the range with me a lot more often than the 229. I've added fiber optic sights to the XDm and will be adding some X-Treme grips soon. I can't explain why I like this pistol as much as I do. At first I thought it was inaccurate but I sandbagged it and the problem was me. If I can hold concentration on thet front sight, the bullets go right where I want them. I guess that I also like that it is sort of a single action type pistol. I've thought about getting a PRP trigger job done to it but haven't made that commitment yet. Point being that the XDm is the only semi-auto that I consider spending extra money on. (And I've got six or seven other 9mms, including that 229)

So even though it's plastic and made in Croatia, I love this gun and would probably pick it over the SIG. I'm not knocking the SIG, nor am I trying to hijack the thread and start a SIG vs XDm war. Just saying that in my opinion, the XDm is worth having and keeping, and that I pick it up much more often than the 229.

Last edited:
From the experience that I have with the XDm I found that I liked the ergonomics better than the Glock and the trigger more so then the Smith M&P. Fit and finish was good for a gun of this type. I will mention that I have several friends that shoot competitively with one who manages a local gun range and shoots competitively who have seen quite a few reoccuring parts failures with these guns; much more so than the norm and more so then the Glocks or M&P's. For this reason I'll probably never own one even though I do like the way they shoot and their look.

As for 40 S&W in a compact gun, I'd probably never run that combination but that is an indiviual shooters call and not something anyone can make for you. If you shoot alot of 40 and are confident with your skill level with the gun you are carrying more power to you and carry as big as you can and want to. Personally, I'm not recoil sensative at all, I just find that the negatives outweigh the positives of 40 s&w in a compact. The snappiness of the 40 s&w because of its high pressure makes it too difficult for quick follow up shots in a compact platform and the reason I prefer the 9mm in smaller platforms. Higher capacity is another benefit of the 9mm. There are just so many good 9mm loads available today that were not available when the 40 s&w first came out that I personally do not see the need for the 40 s&w.

cougar gt-e

There are just so many good 9mm loads available today that were not available when the 40 s&w first came out that I personally do not see the need for the 40 s&w.

"because it's there"

Or maybe because the want it?

Because Henry Ford was wrong when he said "Any color as long as it's black".

bitttorrrent

to #8

Not sure how to do quotes etc. yet - did not see it in the reply to window.

Anyway, sounds like the do vs. sa trigger may be why you prefer the xd. Don't want to dwell, but they are both on my next gun list. I will see if there are any to rent at range or when i take my "training" course (chicago requirement) soon so i can legally have my gun in my living room.

wbw

To bitttorrrent - The other issue is the ability to change backstraps on the XDm. As much as I like the 229, the stock grips are a bit thick. At one point I had a set of rosewood grips on the 229 that were gorgeous, but really too thick. I sold them.
I use the medium backstrap on the XDm.

allgrainer

Ive had an XDm 40 pretty much since they came out. I like everything about it. However here is the trouble I have had, and the simple fix. I have ran probably 5000 rounds thru it. It started failing to feed, always the next to last round in the mag. I tried everything, cleaned the mags meticulously, inspected everything I knew how to inspect and did not see anything out of the ordinary. I was getting very frustrated. So I was at a gun show and bought a new factory mag. Low and behold no more problems. Comparing the new mag with the 2 old mags I could not see any difference. It could be the springs, follower worn out I don't know. The new mag works fine problem solved. I guess after that many rounds springs get weak. Now all is back to normal trigger is very sweet after lots of use and the slide racks incredibly smooth. Get you one and shoot the heck out of it.:D

tomtom25

xd .40

i own an xd in .40 with a ported barrel and also own the s&w m&p in .40 and would choose the xd over the smith on any given day. the trigger on the smith is spongy while the xd is as long a pull but crisp. the xd also shoots tighter groups in my hand and i have probably put 2500 rounds through both with the xd never missing a stroke not so for the smith.

Marquezj16

Thank You

Thanks for all the input. Wife and I will go rent the XDm in both 9mm and .40 cal to see which one she likes better. Definitely will be the new addition to the family! Maybe I'll be lucky enough to get a matching pair or another gun of my choice. :D

Pietro Beretta

As other people have pointed out the .40 is going to be more snappy. It looks like you are making a smart decision by trying both the .40 & 9mm. Get whichever she can shoot better with.

Marquezj16

If the weather is bad this Saturday, might get a chance to shoot at indoor range. My wife shoots pretty much everything well, but she's picky with what she likes. She loves her X-bolt in .308 but dislikes my X-bolt in .270. Loves her 870 12ga but dislikes my Weatherby PA-08. Loves my SP2022 but dislikes my PK380. We have other ones, but once she says she does not like it, she won't shoot it again. So whichever one she likes, is the one I will get.
:cool: