XDM or XD

vikingextreme93

I am going to be trading in my SR9 for a Bi-tone xd or xdm and I am just wondering if people think the XDM is worth the xtra money over the XD I know all about the basic "upgrades" of the XDM over the XD? Not too concerned about the xtra capacity but more focused on is the accuracy THAT much better for a recreational shooter or any other reasons the XDM is superior in everyone elses eyes. It is going to be one of these two pistols so please no glock fanboy nonsense.

Hairbag

XD

I just picked up the XD9 it's my first S/A gun Just to let you know S/A is offering 3 free mags and mag holder if you buy before dec 31 I think. Check their website. They shipped mine fast. pretty good value.

WVfishguy

I've got a full-size XDm in .40, and it's a piece of work.
000_0065.jpg

Sorry, but I'm always suspicious of young guys who trade in their guns in search of something better, because I WAS ONE OF THOSE GUYS about 30 years ago.
That's why, long ago, I traded out my SpA 12 gauge shotgun, my S&W Models 28, 29, 686, my H&K's (including my P9), Ruger Speed Six in 9mm, et al. These are all guns I'd give my eye teeth to have today :(
After three decades of shooting, my bedroom gun - the pistol I trust to protect my family - is an XDm in .40 S&W.
No FTFs, even with reloads, great accuracy, great fit & finish, 17 rounds at the ready, and XDms just do not cost all that much (compared to an H&K or SIG.)
My house gun is now equipped with a 95-lumen rail light, and I feel it's superior to a shotgun in my particular circumstance (I have a small house & yard.)

eddiejoe333

I tried the XDm, in 9MM, and ended up with the XD Subcompact. For some reason I still haven't figured out, I shot better groups with the shorter barrel. I know my skill-level is low because I don't practice nearly enough, but that is why I chose the smaller weapon. I didn't try the full-size XD. A buddy at work has the full-size, and his wife has the Subcompact. She is always using his, but they love both of them.

shredder4286

I am going to be trading in my SR9 for a Bi-tone xd or xdm and I am just wondering if people think the XDM is worth the xtra money over the XD I know all about the basic "upgrades" of the XDM over the XD?

my friend, whether or not the public on TFL thinks about the advantages of an XDm over the XD is really irrelevent. As you said, you already know the features that the XDm has over the XD, all that matters is whether you think they're important or not. For example, if the grip on the XD is either too large or too small, you might want the XDm, as it has the interchangable backstraps.
You really can't go wrong with either one, but I wouldn't get too caught up in the "extra coolness" of the XDm. They're both wonderful firearms.

xanth

If you look around you can get XDMs in the ~500 range. 2 months ago paid 508 for a new XDM40, OD green shipped. All in all that isn't much more than a normal XD costs. With all the "improvements" I thought it was worth it. Have 2 XD 45's also.

Found the XDM to be quite accurate and sits by my bed now too. Replaced my Glock 22 (shoot better with the XDM).

Gen.Barnicky

XD & XDm are excellent guns. I find the XD's to be the best of the poly-generation.

With that said, I prefer the XD over the XDm. Its a simple matter of fit and comfort. I have big hands and just feel much more secure and stable with the XD. I have an XD 9mm subcompact (3") and a 45ACP Tactical (5") they are both incredibly reliable. I have put 100's of rounds through each and NEVER a problem.

I carry the 9mm regularly its ready to go with 13+1 +p's with a 16 mag behind it. On rare occasions in the cold weather with lots of cloths I have also carried the 45 with 13+1 +p's. Well equipped and totally reliable either way.

I have shot the XDm in the 9mm, I liked it, but I am just so used to my XD's I don't feel the need to change.

Go with the one that you'll "want" to shoot and feels better, you really can't go wrong with either.

0B8H1nQDWvgzJNmU3OTMyOWMtZWUwMS00YzBlLTk3MmQtNDMyN2FiNzY0ZmIy

Last edited:

vikingextreme93

gonna have to shoot my uncles XDM again this weekend before deciding, shot it this spring and remember liking it, just have to make sure. I know I like the xd so it may come down to availability and how well a shop is willing to deal:D

abuelo

xd

I prefer th XDm for the 40 cal, seem to shoot better with it and recoil seems to be less than the standard XD. I also have a XD in 9mm bacause i like the still like it also.

eviltravis

I had one of the stainless xdms in 9mm. It fit my hand well enough, but the trigger was mushy and the slide would jog a little to the left on the frame when fired. When dry firing the pistol i could see the slide twitch left. It was accurate enough for self defense, but the accuracy was certainly nothing to get excited about. It had a tremendous capacity, nineteen rounds in the magazine. The ergonomics were much better than some of my other pistols. All in all I was disapointed with the thing and traded it in on an hk45.

ET

If you're already familiar with the features and you're wanting to know if there's that much difference betweent the two accuracy wise, then the XD is the better value. My XD(M) is more accurate than any of my XDs, but only noticeable if you're looking for bullseye shooting. Both are combat accurate and that's good enough for my applications...

cougar gt-e

If you're not going to CC, the m is worth it (to me anyway). If you are going to CC, then get a smaller frame like the xdsc.

I really didn't like the factory trigger. mush with a long long pull. A quick kit and all is well.

azredhawk44

I favor the XD line over the XDm line.

The XD line has magazine compatibility with the subcompact series. It's been out longer and more folks make XD holsters than XDm holsters. Mag capacity differences (16 in the XD9, 19 in the XDm9) aren't that different and with the use of MecGar aftermarket magazines (excellent quality) the XD's can run 18 rounds. I have 6 of the 18rd MecGars and I use them for competition, never a hiccup in the last 1500 or so rounds (only had them for about 3-4 months).

I'm able to shoot "Lethal Weapon" smiley faces with my XD at 20 feet. It's not as accurate (or I'm not as accurate with it... choose your wording) as my CZ-75, but it is a 100% reliable gun that certainly puts the bullet where I intend for it to go.

100_0241.jpg

bikerbill

I had an XD-40 and it was an excellent gun ... but my XDm-9 is superior in many ways and I much prefer shooting it to the 40 ... just the backstrap issue should make the m a better choice ... it feels better in my hand, easier to control, a better gun (to me) ...

Zathras

I bought the XD9 subcompact in 2005..as soon as I saw it and handled it, it was love at first sight, then stupidly, I traded it off last year..was the worst mistake I made gunwise..I bought a new one again last february....Shoots great,grouping is very good,and takes whatever ammo one puts through it without a hiccup..I have an iwb holster that doesnt even feel like I am carrying when I have it with me...personally, I dont feel the need for the XDM.I looked at one, and handled it as well...I will stick with my xd...its like an old reliable friend to me.

Microgunner

I currently own both a XD & a XDm and prefer the XDm for it's fit (I like the smallest backstrap). I've never fired either more than 10 yards so no big accuracy differences have revealed themselves.

INMY01TA

I have an XD 45 service and an XDm9 4.5. I like the XD 45 better than my XDm (caliber differences aside). I find it harder to reliably engage the grip safety on the XDm than my XD. Using the larger backstraps make this even more difficult. The XDm also just has more of a "toy" feel to it to me. Thinking of trading the XDm in towards a P30. I love the XD45 tho.

EdInk

If you've got the extra $100 to burn then do it. However, unless you need the smaller grip radius then I think you'll be just as happy wth the standard XD. I would say buy the regular one and some extra mags if it fits your hand comfortably enough.