XDM 3.8 vs XD Service: Carry

TunnelRat

Hi All,
I recently picked up a XD 45 Compact. I absolutely love the gun. I know some people consider it ugly and the grip safety is often maligned, but for my purposes it works well. I like it so much in fact that I am thinking about get an XD/XDM in 9mm for concealed carry. I don't want one of the subcompact options because they have always seemed too small to me, not a fan of the two finger grip, and I regularly carry mid size firearms so it isn't a huge concern.

I know both the XD service and XDM 3.8 in 9mm are taller than the XD 45 Compact. However, on Springfield's site it says the XDM is only .1" taller than the XD. That seems odd to me given the +3 capacity over the XD. Why I am not going straight for the XD service model in 9mm is my biggest complaint with the XD is I think the slide serrations kinda suck. The XDM seems to fix this.

Are the stats on SA's websites correct? Are the XD service and XDM essentially the same height? Grip length always seems like the biggest issue to me for concealed carry so if it is a noticeable difference I will likely stick with the XD, capacity aside.

tahunua001

ok first thing,
1. not to worry about size, the XDM does not come in subcompact size :D
2. there are 2 options for 3.8. the XDM 3.8 is nothing but the service model with a short slide, the grip and mags are normal service sized. then there is a 3.8 compact which has a shortened grip and takes either compact length mags or full sized mags with a grip extension if you just want to plink or practice.

so the 3.8 is going to be the same height as an XD service/xdm4.5 but the XDM 3.8 Compact is going to be closer to the xd45 compact(1/4" shorter for the 9mm) that you are used to.

Last edited:

seed

You can get the 3.8 compact. But it is still notably bigger than an M&P compact, specifically the height of the slide. But if you want the full size mag, you can use them with or without the sleeve. With the sleeve, it feels just as good as a full length grip. The only problem is carting around spares with the sleeves, which are bulky. Personally, I don't see the point of the non-compact 3.8.

TunnelRat

I actually have held the compact. It seems a bit short to me. I can just get my full hand on the 45 compact, the XDM 3.8 compact being shorter is worse and I can't really get my pinky on it. Also the capacity of 13 rounds of 9mm seems kind of odd to me. At that point I would just get a Glock 19 and have 15 rounds and still be able to get all three fingers on the grip. to the me the XDM compact is a weird size, between a sub compact and a compact and tbh idk that I like it.

KenW.

I have four in the XD platform: a 9mm subcompact, a 40 subcompact, a 45 compact, and an XDm3.8 40 compact. The compacts may each assume the full-size roll with the grip length being the only difference. How much difference can there really be at self defense ranges between the 3, 3.8, and four inch barrels after all?

They all shoot about the same; getting the same results on paper.
The 13 round 9mm subcompact mags are flush-fitting. I put pearce grip extensions on mune so my pinky has a home.
Each will accept the full-length mags of their full-size syblings of the same caliber with grip fillers to make the grip full-length.

OsOk-308

I honestly just got an XD .45 service, the compact is a fantastic pistol that can also accept the 13 round mags as well. If you are worried about needing 3 more rounds I'd just carry an extra magazine (perhaps a 13 round) so you'll have a total of 23 rounds of .45 acp. There are not many problems that 23 rounds of .45 cannot solve. I personally love the .45 caliber and the XD does not have that much recoil.