XD45 or HK45/USP45?

Sgt Pepper

Opinions? I am looking at upgrading in the .45 acp caliber, and these intrigue me. Clearly there is a price difference, but otherwise??? Thanks.

HappyGunner

I have both the XD-45 Service and the H&K USP Compact .45. with the XD you get the Hi-Cap Mags where the H&K Mag holds 8 rounds.Both are great shooting handguns. And yes around $500 for the XD and $850 for the H&K:rolleyes:

Jason_G

I have both the XD-45 Service and the H&K USP Compact .45. with the XD you get the Hi-Cap Mags where the H&K Mag holds 8 rounds.
If you're going to compare capacity, it would probably be best to compare fullsize models to fullsize models. The USP45 is gonna hold 12+1. The HK45 is supposed to hold 10+1, though owners seem to agree that 11+1 is possible with no ill effects.

I own a USP45, I've handled the XD several times, but I've never laid eyes on the HK45 in person. If I had to rank the more popular polymer framed combat/service pistols, I'd probably put the HK45 as numero uno. Next choice would be the USP, followed by S&W M&P 45, then XD, then Glock, then the rest. That's just my 2 cents, obviously things like pointability, grip size, trigger, etc., are going to feel different to different folks. About the only thing that is not subjective is quality. All three are well made, but I would say the H&K's are better built. The recoil reduction system actually works, too.
All that being said, if you are spending H&K $$, you might want to look at the Sigs as well. The P220's have less capacity than those above, and are not polymer framed, but the triggers are great. Just something else to consider.

Jason

Topthis

Have shot both...alot! I can't say that there is much of an advantage of the HK as far as the accuracy, flip, handling etc., to me. If it were me, I would get the XD and spend the rest on ammo. Have you tried them out? Suggest going to a range and renting them to see which one you prefer.

This is a hard one. I own XDs but I like the HK series. I think the only reason I dont have one yet is the cost. All reports Ive seen on the HKs are really good.

Chui

If cost is your main concern then look no further than the GLOCK 21SF & M&P45. If cost isn't that big a factor then the HK45.

BanditSRT8

I own and love XD's, but they in no way can hold a candle to the HK45. The USP 45 was a fine weapon, but it still cannot compare to the upgraded new HK45.

The trigger is a dream for a DA polymer pistol. It can be carried cocked and locked if you prefer, and the recoil is almost at 9mm level... it is exceptional in every single way. Put that HK45 in your hand and it melts into your palm like the gun was made for you.

Like I said, I love my XD's, but if it came down to XD or HK45, there is absolutely no contest.

john463

You can't beat the HK45. Got one a few months ago and its great! The recoil reduction system works and HK makes a great pistol.

nebur

i've shot both the xd and usp in .45. hk wins hands down in my opinions. Handled an hk45 the other day and it feels awesome in my hand. I am actually shopping for a .45 right now and while the hk45 is up there in price, it keeps calling my name! :D

This is another one of those "Princess and the pea" situations.

Yes, there is a small difference in quality. But are you sensitive and perceptive enough to notice it and make it worth the extra money?

Unless one has a mechanical feature that you find desirable enough to justify the extra money I would say either will be fine weapons.

rellascout

I would check out the FNP 45. Well made gun at a great price. Never been a fan of the XD or the HK USP line. The new HK45 is nice. The grip is 100000% better than the 2X4 USP.

FNM0062m.jpg

nebur

While you are right it is a princess and the pea situation. The XD seemed a little harsher when compared to the usp for me both while shooting and for accuracy. I guess i'm a princess then :D

Safety First

Love my XD 45 compact with 4" barrel, but no experience with H&K at all..good luck....Oh, and the trigger on the one I got is excellent, it is smooth and breaks somewhere around 5.5-6 lbs...ymmv...

From what I understand: The HK45 is set on a similar, but not same platform as the P30. I own the P30 but never handled nor fired the HK45. So, to stretch the tangent:

To me, the P30s fit, features, apparent workmanship, and accuracy is hands down superior to the XD. This gun is the finest polymer to date that I've owned/handled/fired or all of the above. So, can this carry over to the characteristics of the HK45? Maybe, maybe not. But I do think there's a pattern/idea of comparison anyway.

And this is coming from a big XD fan. I still won't part with the ones I have. They're fantastic guns. Although apples to oranges, the XDs recently came back from Springfield with full blown trigger jobs and the P30 doesn't come close. It's a decent trigger, but the XDs are right up my alley...

Rellascout has a valid point on the FNP. What really makes me intrigued is the "Made in USA" engraved on the slide. Whether or not it's completely made here may be another story, but neither HK nor XDs are made here...

rellascout

The things you like about the P30 all transfer to the HK45.

I had a USP 9mm and sold it in a week. The P30 and the HK45 are worlds better. They are light years ahead.

I stopped considering HK but with these they are back on the list.

I love the FN. Really good in the hand. I also love its import mark. Fredericksburg, VA !!!!!!!