XD for 45 Super 4" barrel

smokehouse4444

I have searched quite a bit about the subject of what handguns can and cannot be used with 45 super. The XD and HK are the two that come up being able to shoot them in moderation right out of the box without modifications. I keep noticing, however, the thought that it needs to at least be a 4" barrel. I've thought about the XDm compact that has a 3.8" barrel. Is there a reason I keep seeing that it needs to be 4"?

lee n. field

Don't know, but, you might want to see if the advice you saw predates the XDM. XD (not-M, not-S) .45s did and do not come in anything shorter than 4".

Last edited:

AKhog

I have an XD45 4" service that I have converted to 460 Rowland that shoots great. It would have no problem with 45 Super at all since it is a lower pressure round than a 460R. I have also shot 45 ACP with the Rowland barrel and compensator installed, and they shoot fine. Like shooting a 9MM, just a lot louder! I did put a DPM recoil reduction system in mine. It comes with a standard weight outer spring and a heavy weight one also. It seems to make quite a difference in the felt recoil of the 460R.

http://www.dpmsystemsusa.com/Mechanical-System-for-Springfield-XD-4-45ACP_p_56.html

smokehouse4444

Thanks guys, I think I am just going to keep looking for an XD 45 4" compact. That one looks like it will fill the bill for what I am looking for. My research seems to indicate that the "M" isn't really worth it...kinda along the lines of a PM to a CM in a Kahr. I'm just going to keep my eyes open for a used one at the price I want to pay, then if it still interests me, I'll get it.

Ruger45LC

It's mainly an issue of chamber support. But at the same time, most .45 Super that you buy isn't that high pressure, it's barely above .45 ACP +P levels of velocity so the pressures surely aren't that high. Actually Underwood claims that Glocks are alright for the Super as well, and I know a bunch shoot it in 1911's.

I shoot it in a Gen4 G21, love the cartridge. It can be loaded to just above .45 ACP +P or loaded to equal the 460 Rowland and anything in between, but going that high requires a compensated barrel. I can do a 250gr Gold Dot for self defense or if I head into the woods a 250gr XTP to 1300 fps.

The XD/XDm series has decent case support if I remember correctly, and that's really all you'll need. Every XD I've ever shot was sprung somewhat tightly, so really you wouldn't have any issues with an XD, and by the way, barrel length has nothing to do with it so less than 4" would be fine.

There's a good thread over on GlockTalk in the "21 club" about the .45 Super, I've got a lot of data in that thread as well as some others too.

RickB

I'd say it's an issue of velocity; how much more, if any, are you going to get from a 4" Super than you would if shooting ACP +P from a 5" gun?

smokehouse4444

Good question Rick, and thanks for the info Ruger. I will head over to Glock talk to try to find out more.

For what it's worth, the round just interests me as a hiking/woods concealed gun, or truck gun. With the only 10mm I would want being the Glock 29, I think it would be cool to have a .45 that can be loaded with the Super, but at the range just shoot regular old .45 acp, without modifications. I would love to have an HK, but for it's use, the price is inhibitive. The XD45 Compact looks to fill the bill perfectly.
I suppose my question to you Ruger would be, why, if it can be loaded to almost 460 Rowland power, does Underwood and Buffalo Bore just load the 230gr jhp to just 1100 fps? Why not to the 1200+ range? Or does someone else manufacture it in that range?

Thanks in advance for any additional information. I'm gonna head over to GlockTalk and research a little more.