XD .45's recoil comparable to ...?

whitenack

For those of you who have fired an XD .45acp, please give me an idea of what its recoil is comparable to.

I know that I have to decide for myself what I am able to handle. But...

What I am trying to do is see what gun is comparable to the XD 45acp, because I am afraid I will not find a range that has it for rent. Therefore, if the range doesn't have the XD, but has something comparable, I can shoot it and see how it feels.

I thought about the G21, but it is a little lighter than the XD. I guess if I could handle the G21 I could also handle the XD45?

Handy

Yup. You could also try to find a .45 SW99 to rent. Other polymer .45s are going to handle a little more differently.

Really, unless you are made of glass, .45 recoil is not a big deal. Even if it seems stout at first, you will quickly fail to even notice it. So if that's the gun you want, just buy it - you'll be fine.

I wouldn't say the same for true magnum power guns - they can be a hand full that you never get used to, but a .45 is not a problem.

whitenack

That is good to hear, since I am not made of glass. The 9mm Ruger p85 I shot felt like a BB gun. Haven't shot a .45 yet, though.

I wonder why the .45 gets so much talk as a heavy recoil, then? Maybe people who haven't ever shot it?

Moloch

I wonder why the .45 gets so much talk as a heavy recoil, then? Maybe people who haven't ever shot it?

Mabey you shot a .40cal, the .45ACP doesn't kick like the .40S&W, its a little push not more.
The .40S&W is a 'snappy' round, the muzzle will raise a little bit.

BADMAN400

Whitenack, I have an XD-45ACP and I love it! The recoil to me is similar to a 1911. As others have stated, the recoil is less noticeable than a .40 cal. But if you can rent a 1911, then IMO you will have a close comparison for the feel of the XD. :cool:

Chris1911

IMHO i always thought that the 40 S&W kicked less than 45acp...I agree with the snappiness of the 40 however (higher velocity)...I'd say from my experience in terms of recoil (combined with muzzle blast) it goes 40 S&W<45 ACP< 357 mag< 10mm...When I touch of a 10mm it gives me the goosebumps.....In a good way :cool:

Moloch

Whitenack, what I meaned is: Maybe you shot a cal. 40S&W pistol before, than you shouldn't worry about the recoil of a .45ACP. Its more like a push than the snap of the .40S&W. Both are very mild recoiling cartridges, nothing to worry about.

Have fun with your .45!:cool:

Chris1911

I agree with Moloch, the recoil of either .40 or .45 is mild in comparison to a magnum cartridge... usually the people you hear complaining about the recoil are more concerned with the "muzzle blast" (the bang), yet they THINK its the kick of the gun, due to a lack of shooting experience... You have to crawl before you can learn to walk..

Thorgrim

Like the other posters mentioned, the .45 ACP is much milder than a .40 in my opinion.
I have an XD.45ACP and it's a real pleasure to shoot. Not a problem, go for it, you'll love it.

ppiglett

I have a .40 Glock 23C and a .45ACP. (Both very new) I found that the .45ACP was easier to shoot, less recoil than the Glock and I was a much better mark with it. :D Hubby was impressed...

Tara
Mom to 3
Wife to 1

Rusty Jr

Whitenack: Yes, rent a 1911, preferably a Lightweight model, but that might be hard to find.

I compared my XD45 to my SA Lwt Champion (alloy frame). They weighed about the same, ~30oz, both have 4" barrels and very similar grip "feel". I shoot the XD almost as well as I did the 1911, but the 1911 was more accurate in my hands at more than 12yds, which is understandable considering the lighter trigger pull/shorter trigger travel, on the 1911. For fun at the range, CCW, and home defense the XD45 wins:D Sold my 1911 to fund upgrades for the XD (night sites, extra mags, etc).

The XD45 in no way compares to a .40 S&W, different beasts, the .45 is much more comfortable to shoot.