XD 45 Compact VS Glock 30 SF

Wheel-Gunner

I have read a plethora of threads regarding both guns and thought I would start a new thread to get some more direct responses. I have looked at all other options in a 45 for carry and have narrowed my choices accordingly.

This gun would be used primarily as a carry piece. I know they are a little bulky, but I have other carry options if I need something smaller.

I am leaning towards the XD only because it feels better in my hand and because the OD green color looks so nice (not important I know, but still makes me smile when I look at it). Would the XD have a 6 o'clock sight picture? I have noticed some accuracy issues in previous threads regarding the XD. Is accuracy really an issue?

Something about the Glock makes me reluctant to ultimately decide on the XD. I Think mainly it is because of its profound reliability. The grip on a 30 is just a little too big and the 30 SF is a tad bit better, but still not as comfortable as the XD. I have heard that the G30 is one of the most accurate Glocks around and that it would get the nod over the XD in terms of accuracy. Does the Glock have a 6 o'clock sight picture as well? I also keep reading that the 3.78 inch barrel on the Glock generates more velocity than the 4.04 inch XD barrel. Is this true? If so, can someone please explain why?

In short: how do these models compare in terms of accuracy, velocity (3.78" vs 4.04" barrel), trigger pull, reliability, sight picture, finish durability, and recoil management?

As always, I appreciate all of your responses.

Last edited:

Smoke Screen

I prefer how the glock feels in my hands. Then again, with the full size models, its quite the opposite. They are both extremely comparable. But then you get down to the small details like, the hand web safety on the xd, some like it, others don't. But for the sub compact models, my vote goes to the glock only because of feel. ;)

If I remember correctly, the sights of the xd are 3 dot. (Which I personally like better than the glock). Also, as far as accuracy is concerned, at the effective range you'll be using a compact of that size, the difference will be minimal between the two.

Remow2112

Rifling.

The XD45 uses standard lands and groves. The Glock uses polygonal rifling which generates less friction and gives the bullet a better seal. I sold my XD45 and bought a G30 sf to replace the G30 that I sold a number of years back to get a different gun.

The trigger on the XD had a much nicer feel and is much smoother out of the box. Glocks tend not to smooth out until you hit the 1 to 1.5 k rounds fired mark. My g19 trigger is very sweet.

Both are reliable and if you like the XD go for it. I don't need a ton of safeties to worry about. For me the G30 is a better weapon. Although you are correct the XD is a smaller radius grip then the SF. I found the SF much better then the original G30 grip.

hth,
Dan...

Smoke Screen

Agreed with the above poster. However, a consideration to remember is the difference between polygonal rifling in a barrel. They're not designed to shoot lead. So if you practice w/lead reloads like I do, its a downer. But then again, how much plinking are you going to really be doing with a compact/concealed firearm? Just some food for thought...;)

Ron Earp

I've had a 9mm XD for about a year (I have Glock also). The one thing that draws me back to the XD over my Glocks is the "pointability".

If I stand with my eyes closed and bring each gun up to a two handed shooting position, then open my eyes, I'm invariably pointing high with the Glock. Not so with the XD, my .45s, or High Powers. Of course the grip angle is the culprit and I suppose I'm just fixated on the XD (1911) style grip angle.

So, for me the sight picture is quite important and I find the XD lends itself to a proper position easily. Not only sight picture, but "pointability" which is probably more important for a firearm that will be used for CC. Intuitive pointing is important.

Last edited:

tulsamal

I've shot a couple of G21's and just couldn't ever get comfortable with the large grip. (Haven't ever gotten to shoot a G21 SF.) So I had sort of written off the .45 Glocks. But a buddy of mine got a G30 and brought it over to my property for some shooting. I was totally surprised at how good it felt in my hand. It is rather thick over all but it pointed well for me. Everything I aimed at got hit by the bullet. I liked it. (I still think I would rather have the G29 but I digress.)

If I was in the market for a double stack polymer CCW gun, I think I would find a rental range and try out an HK45c. I have the full size HK45 and it is my favorite .45 ACP now. A lot of people are carrying the HK45c and really liking it. Worth considering. I certainly consider it to be a better gun than the Glock or the XD. Yes, it costs more. Will you really remember where the extra $200 went a few years from now? As I've gotten older, I've started to just buy the best gun in a category and be done with it rather than trying to save money. I just end up being dissatisfied in the long run. Sometimes I end up buying the better gun in the end after all and that sure doesn't save any money!

Gregg

docmansc

xd 45 compact 4 inch

I got mine friday after thanksgiving so i have only been through about 175 rounds. so far it has worked flawlessly. the fit/feel ,price,gear kit were the deciding factors for me.i took it over to my neighbors(g 21 fan)the first thing he said after shooting 10 rnd mag was"do you want to sell it"? mine is 6oclock at 20 yrds and groups better than i can shoot.neighbor's first 10 rnds at 20yrds could be covered with tennis ball. i am sure there are"better"out there in the market.my xd does all i need it to at what i thought was a middle of the road price.good luck, be safe!!! doc

aaonms

Wheel-Gunner - In an effort to further complicate your decision-making process: Ever consider the Springfield Micro Compact?