WWII rifles

Silvanus

I'm looking for either a Russian Mosin Nagant or German K98...What are your suggestions? Which one should I buy?
I have only shot the Nagant, yet and I quite liked it. But I heard only good things about the K98 too, so I consider them both.

Limeyfellow

THe 8mm mauser does have quite a bit of kick to it but no more I would say than the 30'06 Springfield 03. The Mosins can be really nice rifles and have had a long history of use. They tend not to have the same level quality of finish as the k98 but were so respected more than a few Germans dumped their kar98s for them in the war. Theres also the Lee Enfield rifles that are fairly cheap right now and of similiar power, less recoil in my opinion and I find they have a nicer shoot, but you might pay slightly more for ammo.

tINY

The germans picked up the MNs when the ice got bad. They work better in arctic conditions (no suprise here...).

Other than that, I'd have to say the Mauser is probably a better choice. If for no other reasons than ammo price and parts availability.

-tINY

donkee

Recoil of the 8mm mauser isn't too bad compared to my short barreled Mosin Nagant M44. The turk 8mm ammo is pretty harsh/brutal, and nasty if you ask me. I stick with the Yugo and Romanian 8mm ammo for stockpiling and shoot my handloads for everyday range playtime. Between the three mentioned, my M48 Mauser has been the most accurate, followed by my Lee Enfields (No1 MkIII and No4 MkII), then the M44 & 91/30.

Surplus ammo is available cheap in 8mm, and 7.62x54R. 303 British will cost you since military surplus 303 is gone, unless you want to shoot POS, oops, POF surplus. I would start handloading if you get the .303, if you plan to shoot it a whole bunch.

My 0.02......

Magnum88C

If you can find an all-matching Mosin in good condition, they are excellent rifles, and nearly as smooth as a Mauser.

They edge out the Mauser in two areas:
1.) they are cheaper than an equivalent-condition Mauser.
2.) Ammo.
a.) Commercial ammo (the cheap steel-cased stuff) is cheaper than commercial 8mm.
b.) The 7.62x54R is still a current-issue cartridge and will be providing surplus ammunition for a long time to come. The 8mm will eventually run out (we're already into what, 1980s surplus on the 8mm?).

However, IMNSHO, if you're willing to handload, I'd pick up a K31 or a No4 Enfield. To me, they are better than either the Mosin or the Mauser as shooters.

Silvanus

Thx, again. But if the "8mm mauser" is the 8x57 that I mean, ammo availability is no problem over here in Europe:) It's a common hunting cartridge and largely available. So is the .303 I think, but I havent checked this, yet. It might be more expensive, though:(

Magnum88C

Yeah, 8mm Mauser referrring to the 8x57JS.

My point wasn't that it's unavailable here in the US (in fact, at the prices it's going for, they are practically giving it away), but that it is no longer a military issue cartridge and the surplus ammo WILL dry up, and commercial ammo costs more than surplus, anywhere you are. Whereas the 7.62x54R is still a current-issue cartridge (for Dragunovs and GPMGs) and will continure to be surplussed for quite some time.

The .303 is apparently more available in Canada than in the US, and might also be in Europe if the English sold it rather than destroying it when they robbed the people of their firearms.

Then again, 7.5mm Swiss might be a lot more available over there also, you might want to look seriously into a K31. They are cheap and the surplus ammo is match grade.

BloodyBucket03

Milsurp Rifles

I have never fired a German Mauser but I hear they are good rifles. I own a Mosin M38. The Mosin is a fun rifle to shoot the only bad thing about it is the trigger is poor and has too much travel. I just purchase one of those Huber triggers so I should be in business. The Mosin also has a nasty recoil so I recommend you should purchase a recoil pad if you decide to go with it. Also another nice rifle a few gentlemen mentioned was a Schmidt-Rubin K31. I just bought one a few days ago and I am refinishing the stock it's a real mess but the bore was outstanding and the trigger on it is beyond its time. I have heard from a lot of Milsurp shooters that the K31 is one of the most accurate Milsurps available. I can't agree with that yet until I take mine out to the range. The bad thing about the K31 is that the ammo is not cheap. I also hear there were only 600,000 produced so they are not going to be on the market long with a cheap price like the Mosin and other Milsurps that were produced by the masses.

Schmeisser

A Mauser is a Mauser. Period. Get one with a halfway good barrel and restore it, if necessary. It's no big deal. I've seen 98s with pockmarked bores which shot excellent.

As for the recoil: Of course, the original ammo is not made for girlie men (to quote Arnold Sch.). Work up a softer load close to starting charge and use a lighter bullet (e.g. 150 grs). You won't be kicked too hard. And the air won't blurr after 20 or so rounds. If you shoot factory ammo, try Federal 185 grs. Quite soft and surprisingly accurate.

ConRich

Silvanus

Have you considered the 1903 or 1903 A3 Springfield ? I have two of them, one has been converted to a " Target / Varment Rifle " with a 4 1/2 - 14 X scope. The other was left original. The 30-06 is an excellent cartridge, very accurate, versatile, and still available at an affordable price.

Good Luck,

Rich

Karrde

I would have to aggree with most of the guys here, cost effective=Mosin while pure fun, accuracy and down right user friendly=k98. I have a friend who has been using his mauser as a varmint gun for 20 years and has never ever had a problem with the weapon, hell his wife who is 5 foot nothing shoots it like a champ. k98 all the way

Limeyfellow

The problem with the Springfield and Garand is availability and cost. Since most of them are only sold through the cmp that puts privates sale costs of these rifles really high nowadays. Usually theres no different than a beat up old Garand on the market than buying one of these brand new constructed ones. In europe, US weapons surplus is really hard to find, which is a shame.

There is also some other surplus out there from the ww2 era including the Arisaki which is a Japanese version of the Mauser, but avoid the later war ones when they can be very cheaply and badly made.

There is the Mannlicher Carcano Model 1891/41 used by Italian forces. Its a straight pull bolt action in various calibres. Of course the most famous thing a Cacano has done is probrobly assassinate the US president John F Kennedy. Some other European forces still used the Mannlicher which this was designed on but thats more a WW1 rifle.

Tokarev SVT-40 is another russian rifle, semi-automatic. I never got to fire them but they look really nice indeed, but getting more and more rare to find. The lasts I saw were in Canada.

Though the Swiss K31 never served in WW2, the swiss being neutral, it is an amazingly well crafted and accurate rifle in 7.5x55 ammo. They are as cheap as Enfields, though the rounds can be harder to find, but worth it, especially if you reload.

essexcounty

For character, the Mosin nagant. For sheer quality the K-31. For a real piece of histroy the K 98. All will recoil about the same.....Essex