WWII German Ammo

Sierra

Does anyone know how hot the Germans loaded 9mm during WWII? What about the Allies? The reason I am asking is I would like to try and match the ammo to my WWII German High Power.

I'm pretty certain that current Nato ammo is loaded to about the same specs that WW II British & German ammo had.

I THINK that that is about 1300 fps with a 124-gr. bullet.

American 9mm ammo is was pretty wimpy in comparison. The use of American 9mm ammo to design the S&W Light Rifle was what killed the project, and what almost led to S&W's bankruptcy just prior to America's entry into WW II.

alamo

i've got some for a luger my father gave me. original
WWII german ammo. only have about 10 rounds. i may shoot
one of them one day to see if they still work (it should)
and what they're like.

Ruben Nasser

Interesting question!!! I think most WWII era ammo was 115gr ammo, loaded about 1150-1200 fps out of a 4" barrel (pretty similar to what is available today). Probably there were some slightly hotter loads for the submachine guns, but I don't know the specs.
Please correct me if I'm wrong: the canadians loaded their 115gr ammo at 1250 fps out of their High Powers (bordering today's +P loads), and probably that was their only 9x19 load. The british 115gr service load produced 1280 fps out of the 6.6" sten barrel, and the german 115gr load produced 1300 fps out of the 9.9" MP40 barrel.

James K

Member In Memoriam
German 9mm was all usable in both pistol and SMG; there was no "hot" SMG ammo. The Italians loaded one round for the old Glisenti and another hotter round for their Beretta SMGs. The concern is not to fire any normal 9mm load in the Glisenti.

The U.S. ammo made for the British is often found marked on the box "Not for STEN". This is because it is too weak to fully function the STEN and blow the bolt back past the sear. In other words, you can't turn the gun off.

Jim

Hard Ball

I shoot 9mm NATO cartridges in a 1940s vintage Highpower. It functions perfectly. It has the long range adjustable tangent sight and the sight setting notches are correct for the NATO load.