WWII Commemorative M1 Carbine

m&p45acp10+1

Well I was at the LGS to pick up a few loading supplies, and some percussion caps for shooting this weekend. I noticed a WWII commemorative M1 Carbine on the shelf. It looks pretty. From what the manager says it is a consignment from a guy that bought it. Fired a box of ammo through it. Put it away, and now is selling it for money to buy an AR. The trigger felt a little heavy other than that it seemed ok. I admit I have been looking into getting an M1 carbine just for fun.

Ok well I will cut the chase with my questions.

1 Do any of you have experience with these rifles? If so what do you think of them?
2 Is $398 for LNIB with 2 mags a decent price?

Note I reload, and cast lead. If I pick this one up ammo cost is a very moot point. All I would be buying is brass, primes, and powder.

darkroommike

LNIB? Yep. Some brands fare better than others but LNIB? Yeah. Pics when you get it home, I hope! And if you get tired of it, remember me (LOL).

m.p.driver

Probably a Iver Johnson,IMI,or possibly a Kahr.While not as collectable as a war time issue they are still shooters.The commemorative doesn't add much to the value.I've seen even Plainfields and Universals going for $300-$350.

m&p45acp10+1

It said made in Israel from what I have gathered in the limited amount of info I picked through from google prices for new are from around $600 to $700 depending on area, and store.

I have not purchased it. I was getting some info first. I have a 24 hour wait, and check it out rule on any gun purchase of over $100. I may have to go in and see about putting down on it.

The manager, and I are on good terms. If not I can have him put the money in the hold box. If it sells I will just pick something else. I know I will have a bit to spend in July so even if it sells then I will get something. I have also been looking at getting a .357 lever action too.

Hook686

At that price it must not be a USGI M1 Carbine. I avoid any others. I enjoy shooting my M1 Carbines. I personally avoid lead bullets. I see no point in messing with leading the gas system. I reload using FMJ bullets. I think it is a nice light easy shooting carbine.

Good luck, you ought enjoy it. You can always offer him $375 if he throws in a box of ammo.

Chris_B

My opinion is that if you get it, you'll like the M1 carbine design, and then regret not having an actual USGI one. I don't say the rifle is bad, I just say that it's not a USGI carbine and if you're looking at a obsolete design shooting an obsolete round like that, the history probably matters. I say save some money and get the real deal

Ronbo1

Have both GI and Iver Johnson carbines and the early Iver Johnson are pretty good as they used GI parts except for the receiver and barrel. Sounds like a good price, shoot cast bullets in them with a 130 grain pointed plain base hard cast and don't have any leading problems.

m&p45acp10+1

I paid a down payment on it today. I will pick it up in about 6 weeks when I have the funds to do so. I know it is not a real deal USGI model. It is an Israeli made model. The trigger is a bit on the heavy side. Though it is still quite workable. Later if I come across a USGI I will pribably find a way to buy it. They had one at the LGS for $799 I would have put down on it. Though someone bought the next day before I could put down on it.

I think for me it will do what I plan to use it for which is a fun gun at the range.

Anyone know if they make a brass catcher for it?

madcratebuilder

The IAI's can be good shooters. Just get good GI spec round nose bullets. These are a blast to shoot. It's to bad they have gotten so spendy. I remember when they sold for $100 for a nice GI carbine.

m&p45acp10+1

Update. I found out it is an Iver Johnson. Though I am still gonna take it. From what I have seen of online prices I did ok. I thought I saw made in Israel on it. I was very wrong. I also looked at the pics of the Iver Johnson it looks just like the one I bought. Complete with gold accents. Oh well it looks pretty, and I am sure it will shoot better than I can milk it for anyway.

I am still looking into bullet molds, and for some brass. I tried several places online. All seem to be out of brass, with plenty of loaded high price ammo. Oh well I still have a few weeks to look around anyway.

batguano

You will enjoy shooting the carbine.
I have a 1943 model made by IBM and love it.

As a side note, I met the designer of the carbine,Marshall Williams back in 53 shortly after the movie about his life was released. He spent time at the Caledonia Prison farm not far from where I lived. A nice guy.

tpelle

Btw, the IAI rifles aren't made in Israel. That's just a marketing ploy. I believe they were made in Texas.

doc540

Congrats!

I would've bought it, too, for that kind of money.

In 1963 the NRA offered members a deal on M1 carbines.

But you didn't know what condition you'd get.

After mowing yards to raise the funds, our Winchester arrived in cosmoline.

$23 shipped
DSCN0168-1.jpg

As a kid it was, by far, the most fun rifle to shoot!

m&p45acp10+1

Doc that is a pretty looking rifle. I would lay a wager that it is a good shooter as well. I have in my over 3 years as a range member seen exactly 4 people shoot the carbine rifles at the range. One was this weekend. I have seen several guys that shot the Ruger Black Hawks in .30 carbine. My next buy will more than likely be one of the Black Hawks to make a companion pair.

Update on the rifle is it has the card board box with it. It originaly came with a shadow box with velvet type lining, and some paper work, and a book. I am getting the rifle itself with two mags. I do not care about the shadow box anyway. The original owner put a USGI model in the shadow box and put the repro out for consignment. I think it will serve the purpose of being a range shooter with ease.

I am having a heck of time finding any brass online though. I can find plenty of loaded ammo but no reloading brass.

m&p45acp10+1

Update

I paid it off, and took it home a couple of weeks ago. The only ammo I was able to get was Monarch. There were a few hiccups with the ammo. Also the feed ramp was covered in copper fouling after firing 100 rounds. I cleaned the rifle well, broke out the felt mandrel, and some polishing compound. I polished the feed ramp, and replaced the spring in the magazine.

Results were great. It was 100 percent reliable after that. I am feeding it hand loads with 110 grain Remington FMJ with a load of H-110. Had great results with AA#9 as well. (will have to pick up a new can when I have the funds to so.) I have not shot for groups yet. All shooting has been at steels at about 30 yards kneeling. misses were very few, and more than likely a result of me not the ammo or rifle.

Here are a couple of pics. Sorry I do not have a macro setting on the camera so they are not that great.

016.jpg

017.jpg

2012-07-15130907-1.jpg

madcratebuilder

Nice looking carbine. I would rather blast away with these carbines over a AR. The ammo is the short coming, even reloads are spendy. I just picked up 450rds of 1952 LC surplus, on clips in bandoleers, looks like new. I can't wait to shot some of it up, the rest is xmas gifts for my carbine buddies.

m&p45acp10+1

Where did you come by the surplus ammo. If you have a link to a source I would love to know of it. For supply at the local stores two stores carry it. One is the LGS price is way too high. Yes it is premium ammo, though I can load mine cheaper than that. (and with my shooting I doubt I would tell a differance anyhow.) All I want is the brass afterwards. The other store is Acadamy They have plenty of Monarch brass at $21.95 per 50. Remington SP ammo is about $30 per 50.

I did see some steel cased Herter's at Cabella's for $17 and some change. I will pick up a couple of boxes of it for when I am at the places I know that I will not find the cases anyway.