WWB 45acp 230gr JHP

garry owen

Picked some up today at Wally World, and have a question. I understand by most that this is considered practice/range ammo, but would it be a good round for home defense? Thanks.

fairview mick

Ammo

I belive that any jacketed hollow point for personal protection will be better that full jacketed bullet.
Fortunately, I've never had to prove it on a human, but you certainly don't use full metal jackets on any game you shoot. So I would imagine that would apply to humans

Love&Hate12

It's not bad, a similiar performance to their "silvertip" line.

Winchester also makes the SXT and Ranger SXT rounds which are very good defense rounds, these would be a better choice but the white box is not a bad choice, they normally fly at around 900fps out of a 5'' barell, which is not bad for 230gr in the .45acp.

In my opinion the best .45 defense rounds are the 185-200grains which clock in at over 1000fps and sometimes 1200fps. You have a fast round there with the heavier 185 or 200 grains and the expanded .45 diameter which can get to .75-.80. The 230gr does have the most weight however which always penetrates well. The absolute best defense round for .45 in my opinion is the 185gr Corbon DPX, I have seen defense round testing in person and these had perfect expandion and weight retention everytime, while doing the most damage to the gelatin out of the top brands of defense rounds.

Test some rounds yourself and if the wwb works the best for you then thats what you use.

Shot placement is the first thing to worry about anyway.

garry owen

I usually have some Remington 230gr Golden Sabers on hand, but my supply dried up. Have to order more I guess, and they are kind of hard to find around here unless you want the hour drive!

Shooter 973

WWB 45acp 230 JHP!!!

This is the Ammo that I carry in my everyday carry piece. It is a good JHP and feeds well for me, in all of my 45's. There are no Magic Bullets, but I do think this is still a good choice. Any good reliable hollow point will do what you want it to do. And after all 45 Ball is still pretty effective, I've witnessed it work. When your shooting this big a bullet most will do what is needed. :)