WW I Lugar

Civil War Life

Can a C&R license allow me to bring back a WWI Lugar from Europe? Or do I need to get some kind of importer license? I am not a dealer, just a collector and want to add it to my collection. Don't want to have a problem when I arrive back in the US. Thanks.

gyvel

Not sure which country you are getting your Luger (NOT Lugar) from, but, as I understand it, you need to apply to and get permission from BATF, then it has to go through a licensed exporter to a licensed importer, clear customs, and finally to your receiving FFL dealer.

mapsjanhere

I found it hard to find a licensee for import, but the procedure itself is no more challenging than a normal purchase. Paperwork took about 3 weeks, and as a C&R you can get your P08 right from your importer. Mine charged $100 for 2 guns.

James K

Member In Memoriam
There are other aspects of firearms importation, one of which is whether you can actually buy the gun in a foreign country and whether the person/dealer you buy from can export it. Some of the European dealers on the net are very familiar with the process and have U.S. associates they deal with to handle the U.S. end (either direction). But for an American just to walk into a gun shop in Germany and try to buy a handgun or to buy a Luger in a private deal in Italy is fraught with problems.

Jim