WSSM guns

dr.magnum

With the changes at Winchester, what do you think will become of the WSSM calibers? Isn't Win and Browning the only two companies that make them? With model 70's gone will Browning still make them, or will they become obsolete?

SGHOTH

My vote is for obsolete. I base that on the fact that CDNN had a mess of 223 and 243 ssm's for sale in there end of the year catalogue. I think the fact that USFAC unloaded them in advance of the closing anouncement means that they will not be making them in the future.

Winchester ammo / Olin is a seperate entity and will most likely continue to make the ammo, at least for a while. Just my guess at this point, I have no inside info.

Crosshair

I think they will be flops. There are alot of WSSM guns in the used section of most of the local gun stores where I live. Ammo availability and cost are big issues from what I understand.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
I still think those cartridges are great for handloaders. Load down for "normal" hunting or plinking; load max for, say, elk, in the .30.

I also think that they're "instead of" rather than "as well as". That is, if I wanted a .30, I'd probably go the SSM route. Already having an '06, I won't. Same for the .243, etc.

Art

T. O'Heir

I'd bet that no Winchester means no factory WSSM's or WSM's either. If you have any of 'em, go buy every cartridge, in the flavour you have, now. Mind you, whoever the new owners of the name will be may just continue with the short magnums. Depends on how well the assorted flavours have sold in the short time they've been around.