WSM rumors?????

model70fan

Has anyone else heard a rumor about winchester discontinuing their WSM line of ammunition smaller than their .30 cal + sizes? I recently heard that they were stopping production of their WSMs except for like the .300 and .325 WSMs. I looked on winchester's website but haven't been able to find a press release or anything, just wondering if anyone has heard anything about this?

pesta2

I could see them not manufacturing the WSSM but the WSM. I thought the .270 WSM was a half way popular cartridge.

model70fan

Thats what I kinda thought too, I know there is a bit of a following for a lot of the WSMs, even a few of the WSSMs, like you said the .270 WSM is a fairly popular cartridge, not as popular as the classic winchester round, but popular nonetheless. Also, if anyone has heard this rumor has anyone heard of any other company thinking about taking up the production to keep people with those short mag calibers in ammo?

model70fan

Again, this is just a rumor I have heard through the grapevine through some gunshop guys I hang out with. But if there is any substance to it this is the place to find out.

I heard the WSSM being discontinued, I don't know about the WSM. I thought the .223 WSSM was kind of an interesting round, but out of my price range.

T

model70fan

The .25 wssm is a pretty neat little round too, but not much of an advantage (couple hundred ft/sec) over the 25-06, nice, flat shooter though

IdahoG36

I thought the .223 WSSM was kind of an interesting round, but out of my price range.
+1.
I thought that it was a pretty cool round, but it is spendy and I don't reload.

I really like the 300 WSM. It has excellent ballistics and doesn't require a long action, both a plus in my book. The only thing that I don't like about it is the limited loads available, either factory or reloads. Any bullet size smaller than 125gr really isn't practical, and because of it's short case, 180gr is about the maximum weight you can use. The only factory loadings I've seen are 150gr and 180gr.

LittleLebowski

Kinda like the .25 WSSM :D This gun needed bedded to get shooting below a minute and I had my gunsmith recrown it too.

IMG_0077.jpg

Savage99

Seems that the ammo is made now. However if you look at the M70 announcement they have left out the 7mm WSM.

Thats the one I like best also!!

No comment on the WSSM's.

Sportdog

One of them had to go

I am the proud owner of a 7mmWSM Model 70 Winchester and before I purchased it I knew that because of the 270WSM sales, the 7's days were numbered. The difference between these two cartridges are so close that one of them had to go. It has always been an unknown as to why one cartridge becomes a big hit and the other fades into history. Many people hazard guesses and some seem correct and others are rather far fetched. Bottom line, sales of the 270WSM were significantly more than the 7mmWSM. My supply of 7mmWSM brass will last me for my lifetime and maybe the value of the 7's will increase because they are not so plentiful or maybe it will de-value because nobody wants one. Only time will tell but in the meantime I've got myself a beautiful flat shooting, hard hitting rifle that will serve me well.:D

pesta2

I felt that the reason 7mm WSM was not as popular as the .270WSM is because of the 7mm Rem. Mag’s popularity. Seems every other person in WV owns one. Two of my cousins hunt Whitetails with them. A lot of people already have a 7mm Mag so they don’t want to sell that rifle just to get a 7mm WSM. The .270 WSM on the other hand has only one commercial equal (in magnum class), the .270 Weatherby Mag. Weatherby ammunition is harder to find in this area and cost more, .270 WSM can be found on Wal-Mart Shelves during Deer season costing less..

deadly M70

25 wssm thoughts

hello people this is my first post so kinda bear with me!! i own a winchester m70 in 25 wssm and wouldnt part with it for anything!! it is deadly!! started out shooting 110 gr. accubonds and now am reloading for it as for as a whitetail gun here in wisconsin its tough to beat!! head shots out to 200 yrds aint a problem and have yet to smack a deer with it and have it go more than 20 yrds so if any of you are looking for a sweet little shooter give it a go i guarentee u will be impressed!!