WSM cartridges.. will they last

Driveout02

The title says it all. I'm extremely tempted to get a .270 WSM.. as long as the cartridges will be around for awhile (and not cost 5x as much as traditional ammo).. how do you feel about the future of this round?
Thanks!!
~Jake.

Dezynco

I figgure they'll be around for a while. I have nothing against the WSM's, but I feel that money would be better spent by buying the longer equivalant (ie, 270, 30-06). The advantage of the WSM's is that you get the equivalant (perhaps a little better) performance in a shorter actioned rifle. I know that right now, since the WSM's are the "hot item" that the prices are higher.

TNFrank

Of all the WSM's the 270 and 7mm and the most practical for North American Big game. I'm sure you can handload and save a bunch over factory loaded stuff and if I had one that's what I'd do.

GEM

I bought a bunch of .243 WSSM from Grafs because it never really caught on and, for all practical purposes, is considered a wildcat. I got mine to replace my old 6mm PPC that had started opening up its groups from simply being shot so many times in matches. It performs right up there with the PPC, and costs about the same to reload.

I believe the WSM's are "less wildcat" than the WSSM's, and brass may not be as much of a speculation down the road. But if you have the $$ now, why not get the brass instead of waiting? I doubt if it's going to go down in price anytime soon....

Jason280

Personally, I wouldn't risk it unless you are a handloader. Even then, I would be buying as much brass as I could find. The rounds are all ready getting more difficult to find, even though they are very good rounds. The .300 WSM has a fairly decent following, and will probably last the longest.

Dezynco

I think the 300 WSM is a very fine cartridge, without a doubt. But if I were not a handloader, I'd stick to a .308 or 30-06. Like I said, the 300 WSM is approx a 30-06 in a short actioned rifle. Basically, all they did was take the most popular cartridges like the 30-06, 243, 270, etc and make the brass case short and fat. This allows a shorter cartridge with the same powder capacity.

I have three brother-in-laws that formed a convention (I guess!) and all got 300 WSM's. They can hang with my old 30-06, but can't say that it's better. We all reload our own cartridges, so they might be at an advantage with the short-stroked bolt actions. It all comes down to placing the shot in the correct place.

HOGGHEAD

WSM's

If you reload it is no big deal. If I did not reload I would never buy one. I have seen some of the ammo prices and they are ridiculous. They did exactly what I thought they were going to do. Get the rifles out there first then scr** you on the ammo.

I have and have had a few 300 WSM's. I really like the cartridge. Accuracy is great. I have 400 pieces of brass, so I am sure I will wear out the barrel before I run out of brass. Tom.

jmr40

The 300WSM is by far the most popular and ammo is at most stores. It is the only one that I feel confident will make it long term. It does have velocity gains over the 30-06 and even slightly exceeds the 300 win mag velocities with 150 grain bullets. With heavier bullets the Win mag beats it and in reality I believe that if you are not going to use the heavier bullets you do not need the magnums. The 270 WSM is still availible but ammo is much harder to find. The 7mm WSM is barely hanging on and I believe it as well as the others will become a reloaders only round in a few years.

petru

From my experience I would advise you to get a standard length cartridge.

When you have even a standard short action (.308 length) never mind the even shorter short Magnum actions the cartridge is really crammed in there. As the throat erodes you often can not seat your bullets out to touch the rifling because of the very short magazine box.

The short magnum cartridges have no taper to them which makes them much more likely to stick in a dirty chamber and a straight cartridge with very little taper does not feed as well out of the magazine box either.

One fellow I ran into at the shooting range spent big bucks having his Remington model 7 rifle customized into a super light weight sporter. The gun was so light he could not hold the rifle steady for any kind of field shooting. This really shows you that when you get into a gun like the ones chambered for the very short magnum cartridges that lighter is not always better. I personally find that if the rifle with scope dips below 7 1/2 lbs that it becomes very difficult to hold the gun steady in the field even with a rock solid rest.

A person that is not physically capable of carrying a light 7 1/2 lb. rifle may be at great risk of dying of a heart attack in the field.

Recoil and muzzle blast also go up with the very light rifles especially if they have barrels shorter than 22 inches.

Even full length actions can be manipulated every bit as fast as short actions as the difference is almost not measurable. You can try an experiment yourself by having two experienced shooters empty their guns as fast as they manipulate the bolt and the results will surprise you as if they both have about the same skill level they will both empty their guns in the same amount of time.

Most magnums I have shot seldom shot as well as the standard cartridge either. Most very, very experienced hunters know that most game is actually taken at less than 100 yards and the standard velocity cartridges like the 270, 30-06 7x57 7mm-08 .280 etc. will kill very well easily out to 300 yards and that’s a long , long shot in the field even for a master rifle shooter.

Although the hunter usually does not shoot out his barrel because of the low number of rounds fired it is worth noting that a lot of magnum rifles only get about 2,000 rounds of barrel life as compared to the standard cartridges that can get as much as 8,000 rounds of barrel life. If you are a hand-loader that likes to play around finding super accurate loads the 2,000 rounds of magnum barrel life can come very, very quickly.

I might add that if you someday decide to sell your magnum rifle that many people shy away from buying any used magnum because they believe that it is probably shot out. I have not found this to be as prevalent in the standard length cartridges because of their very long barrel life. They often sell used very quickly.

The magnum rifle with its greater muzzle blast and kick is also not conducive to good shooting either as the once a year hunter soon starts to flinch when using one. No matter how powerful the cartridge if you do not place bullet properly it will not kill, only wound.

Most of the worlds big game was shot off the face of the earth in Africa not with super magnum rifles as most people erroneously think but by farmers using surplus military rifles in calibers like the 7x57, .303 British and the 8x57 Mauser. They had no trouble even killing elephants with such cartridges. As a matter of face W.D.M. Bell killed over a 1,000 elephants with the 6.5 mm and 7x57 Mauser and when you shoot that many elephants sooner or later you get charged and Bell had no trouble stopping them with these smaller calibers.

Several years ago they had a special on TV that showed game rangers in Africa wipe out an entire herd of elephants using nothing more than the .308 with standard full metal jacketed bullets of 150 grains. Their guns were the military FN FAL rifles with the standard military ammo. Seeing is believing and the elephants when down as if hit by lightning. None that I saw even moved or twitched.

We have a responsibility not to cripple game to get away to suffer a slow lingering death and shooting at reasonable ranges should be adhered to so that our sport will not get a bad name that the anti-hunters would and will exploit to the fullest.

In closing I might add that Jack O'Connor one of the most experienced of old time big game hunters did try magnum rifles and found that in the field they held more draw backs than advantages. They needed longer barrels to achieve the higher velocities, read that 26 inches, and they often caught on brush and were slower to mount and get into action. O'Connor tried the 7mm Remington Mag. v/s his beloved .270 rifles and found no actual field difference in killing power whatsoever. His only magnum that he did use was the .375 H&H and that was only for very big and very dangerous big game.

My advice is that if you like the .30 calibers just get a 30-06 as it will do anything you want it to do and do it cheaper and with more accuracy and less kick and muzzle blast and if you really want to save money there are a ton of used 30-06 rifles on the used market. Some of them are high grade Mauser 98 rifles that will never break, misfire or malfunction like many modern rifles are want to do at the most inopportune moments.

Savage99

Driveout02,

I welcomed the WSM cartridges for a number of reasons.

1. They gave me, a handloader, a magnum without a belt so that now my cases would not stretch at the expansion web like the ill designed belted rounds do.

2. When the Kimber 8400 WSM came out it jumped ahead of other rifles in that its so nice and light yet with it's Decelerator recoil pad the felt recoil is good.

I chose the .270 WSM and killed my largest deer ever with it. However I chose it over the 7mm WSM as the 7mm WSM is much less popular. Now I regret my decision. The heck with the popularity! I want to shoot those long Berger VLD bullets.

A practical choice would be the .300 WSM obviously.

jhgreasemonkey

The .300wsm is pretty popular around here. It hasnt eclipsed the .300 win mag though. I do beleive that the .300 wsm has found enough of a loyal following and it probably wont fade away in the future. The .270wsm is fairly popular and it is a highly praised cartrige for its performance by that small crowd that ownes it. It seems to have a slight edge over the great classic .270. It should be a safe bet by now to buy a .270wsm. As far as the .325wsm I think it is a cool idea to have a compact 8mm magnum cartrige. I dont think many people share that view though as I havent seen any around. So all in all I think that the .300wsm and .270wsm will be around for a while. And I kind of find myself rooting for the .325wsm as I might like to add one to my hunting battery one day.

T. O'Heir

Any time you buy a rifle chambered in a relatively new or new cartridge, always buy as much brass as you can afford, dies and a shell holder at the same time. Even if you don't reload. Makes the issue of the marketing types deciding to drop a particular cartridge go away.
"...a light 7 1/2 lb. rifle..." That's a standard weight for most commercial hunting rifles.
"...short magnum cartridges have no taper to them..." Nonsense. 11 thou over the case body in a .223 and .243 WSSM(same as a 9mm Parabellum). 17 thou in a .270 and .300 WSM. 18 thou in a 7mm WSM. That's lots of taper. A .45 ACP is only 3 thou over the case body.

sigsooie

I would not hesitate one minute to buy either a .270WSM or a .300WSM. The big rifle manufacturers are making and selling so many of these rifles in both of those calibers, they are not going away. The only reason I see to stay with a standard size round is cost of factory ammo and perhaps tradition. I love my .270WSM and got a great 10 point white tail with it last year, but I could not sleep well if I did not have at least one good old .270Winchester in the safe.

robctwo

I have a 300WSM BAR with the BOSS. Very accurate and light recoil. I reload. I have run everything from 110 gr to 180 gr through it with success.

Death from Afar

I would not hesitate one minute to buy either a .270WSM or a .300WSM. The big rifle manufacturers are making and selling so many of these rifles in both of those calibers, they are not going away. The only reason I see to stay with a standard size round is cost of factory ammo and perhaps tradition. I love my .270WSM and got a great 10 point white tail with it last year, but I could not sleep well if I did not have at least one good old .270Winchester in the safe.

Are they really big sellers in the States? there are very few sold here, i guess because the cost of ammo brings tears to your eyes.