Wow! (The 2.25 inch is accurate)

Dave R

Quantum, do not be too paranoid of the recoil with .357--I shot a 4" Python .357 a few months ago and the recoil was not as bad as I anticipated. Granted, you gun may kick a bit more, but do not assume its unmanageable until you try it.

I was only a slender 17-year old when I tried my first .44 mag. Again, not as bad as I expected.

So try before you decide.

K-9

Magnums aren't bad from that snub.It has some heft to it. However, there's no advantage over +P's out of barrels that short,IMHO.

Jack M

I think K-9 is correct about ballistics, but that magnum flash was sure impressive at night, out of my old Speed Six!

Cougar

The only snub I have is a 3" Taurus Mod 85 .38 Stainless .38 . It is a real tackdriver (again, for a snubbie!)! At 7yds, I can shoot ragged one-hole groups, and at 15yds, it does 1.5-2" groups with its preferred ammo. That ain't bad for a snubbie!!!

Quantum, Give your Ruger a little time to break in and I'm sure that trigger pull will improve. Mine sure did! With close to 1500 rounds through my little Taruus, it feels almost as good as my bro-in-law's Smith!

ellsworthtoohey

I've shot .357s, everything from 110gr. to 158gr., with my 2 1/4 inch S&W 640. No, it's not pleasant. However, for those who can stand it, there IS a significant power gain with the .357 over the .38 +P--even from a snub. With .357s you can count on anywhere from 150 to 300 fps. gain in velocity with loads using bullets of the same weight and from the same manufacturer.

Whether the gain outweighs the pain is a different issue though.

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
Magnums aren't bad from that snub.It has some heft to it. However, there's no advantage over +P's out of barrels that short,IMHO.

We tested a 2" SW640 on pumpkins. .38 JHP were MUCH less impressive than .357 JHPs. I was surprised. Outdoors, the difference in muzzle flash and noise was acceptable, not sure about real defense situations.

The two snubbies I owned in the past (Taurus 85UL and SW49) were good for 1.5" at 20ft in single action, about 2" DA *if* I did my part.

alp-257

Magnum:

Try 110 grains JHP Winchester ammo (white box); acceptable price, good control and excellent performance.

alp-257

juliet charley

I carry (and practice with) the full load 125 JHPs (Remington) in my SP-101--the recoil is not bad at all, but the muzzle blast (and the shockwave) is impressive to say the least.

In terms of accuracy, I was out shooting with my cousin (a DPS trooper) yesterday afternoon, and he was rolling a can 45-50 yards with mine (single action from a kneeling position).

mikey357

Quantum-I believe that the euphoria you experienced as a result of your [apparently] unexpected "groupability" with the SP101 is easily explained...as fine as Glocks are, MOST quality revolvers WILL OUTSHOOT MOST quality autos!!! Simple as that, IMHO. With some improvement in the triggerpull dept. and maybe some aftermarket stocks [ONLY IF the factory stocks DON'T FIT YOU] and regular doses of PRACTICE you'll be on your way to EVEN BETTER shooting!!! GOOD LUCK!!!....mikey357

I like the stock grips. As far as the trigger pull, I was told that if you dry fire it hundreds to thousands of times the trigger will get nice and smooth.

juliet charley

I think, at least with recent production guns, how bad the Ruger trigger pull is (or how good the S&W is) has been grossly exagerated. My last three Rugers (a 9 mm SP-101, a GP-101 and .357 SP-101) have had very good trigger pulls with the 9 mm being equal any Smith I have bought new in the last twenty years. A lot of the older blued Smiths (and particularly the N-frames) have had excellent trigger pulls--in fact, I regular outshoot my brother's Glock and my son-in-law's Gold Cup with it (double action). The newer ones as a whole, and particularly the stainless models have good trigger pulls, but not significantly better than any of the newer Rugers I have shot. In fact, the Smith's new frame mounted firing pins are not as good as the out of the box Rugers (my experience with them is limited, however). I think Ruger got a rep for a bad trigger pull (justifiable) when the Security/Speed Six was first released, but unless I have just been lucky, the trigger pull on new production guns is pretty good.

riddleofsteel

i have a Weigland Combat SP101 that is hybraported. i shoot full house 125 grain Remington ammo out of it all the time. i replaced the springs with Wolff reduced power main and trigger return springs and the double action only trigger is quite a bit lighter. i can not say how a stock SP101's trigger would be as Weigland had smoothed mine before i pulled it. i never felt the stock trigger. even so, it has improved over the years with use.
my SP101 wears a cocobolo Houge mono-grip. it is larger and weighs more than the stock grip or a Secret Service type grip but it is VERY comfortable, VERY controlable and does not catch on clothing like the factory grip did. besides it looks VERY good as it is a fine piece of wood with exceptional grain.

i also have a Ruger Speed Six with a 2 3/4" barrel. i also shoot 125 grain Remingtons or Federals in it. it is not ported and with practice it is very controlable and is accurate in the extreme. i won't mentio the 10 to 25 yard group sizes as it may make Quantum envious. however, it is an exceptional revolver in that respect and often outshoots target revolvers if i do my part.

as far as the fireball and gas jet from full power .357... we have practiced in semi-darkness shooting our .357 snubs useing the muzzleflash to light the target. aim center mass for the first shoot and rapid fire the following 4 or 5 rounds in the "flash" light. WHAT A RUSH

denfoote

Yeah I would tend to agree. I get pretty good groups with my 2.25in Taurus M605. Yes, the .357MAGS hurt!!! The first time I shot them in mine, I tore the webbing between my thumb and index finger up pretty bad. Porting solved that little problem!!!;)

BigG

Typically speaking, a snubby is just as accurate as a long bbl. My S&W j frames will group pretty damn good. It's just the sight radius and muzzle blast put a lot of folks off.