Would you trust your life to a PPK?

• yes

Votes: 77 81.1%
  • no

Votes: 18 18.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

P99AS9

Would you trust your life to a PPK? I just bought a new one by Smith & Wesson and it functions perfectly. I'm thinking of making it my backup CCW. A lot of people say PPK's are unreliable, but mine is fine. What would you do?

armoredman

I have in the past. 380 isn't the greatest self defense round, but it beats the HECK out of harsh language. Had a blued PPK years ago I carried in both IWB and shoulder rigs, great little pistola.

Musketeer

I have in the past. 380 isn't the greatest self defense round, but it beats the HECK out of harsh language.

I agree. Would I prefer to have a 5" 1911 in 10mm with two spare mags, certainly. Would I prefer even more to have an M4 fully auto with six mags, certainly.

CCW is about compromise. .380 is about the lightest round I would go and if the PPK in question has been put through its paces I would certainly elect to carry it over a lighter caliber or nothing at all. I might also elect to carry it over a larger handgun depending on the manner in which it may need to be concealed.

oneounceload

Rule number 1 for a gunfight:

Bring a gun!

even a .22 is better than nothing at all. I used to own a PP in .32 (those W. Germany police pistols that H&K brought in some years ago. Gun always chambered and fired, even with my handloads.

If YOU have the confidence in your gun, that is one less thing to worry about if you get into a situation....

JP Sarte

Full size handgun

I was told to carry a full size handgun when not on the job. The size difference between the compact and the full size doesn't amount to that much more and you can shoot a larger more effective shell (I like the .40). With one extra magazine, I don't see how you could go wrong.

JP

SundownRider

Mine (Interarms) is completely reliable and scary-accurate. It is my "fight to a bigger gun, gun" I would not feel uncomfortable or undergunned were I to use it for CCW, which, in Illinois, is a far away dream.

SilentHitz

If that's all I had, yes. As already stated, any gun is better than nothing.

I have a Colt govt.380 I sometimes carry as a backup, and feel it will work fine for most SD situations. I would still rather have my main carry, but you gotta "use what ya brung" :cool:

saltydog452

Yessir, but it was MY PPK, proven with MY mags and ammunition, and with me behind the wheel. Cleaned with diesel fuel and lubed with a dab of fifth wheel grease.

Fortunately, it was never fired in desperation.

There are better choices available now.

salty

mavracer

since I have no problem carrying my PP 32 acp.a ppk .380 should be fine.
P3230076.jpg

Stiofan

I have no problem with a .380, I have a German PPK/S I use sometimes. Frankly I'd have no problem with a .32 either, like a Seecamp or NAA, and personally I've carried my Beretta 21 (.22lr) when I want something small.

Fortunately those carying a .45 will probably use theirs about as much as I'll use my .22 in a SD situation in our lifetimes. :eek:

C/O

The .380 caliber is not that much of a concern to me, as making sure I have a gun with me. As long as the PPK is reliable.

plom

I trust mine 200%. As long as you use good mags (mec-gar work great in PPK) and a proven load your PPK will serve you well. It's a compact accurate and reliable pistol. Concerning the ammo, shot placement and proper training is the key.

pogo2

I have a PPK .380 and have carried it a few times in the past. The gun is very easy to conceal, and mine has been reliable at the range.

I do believe that .380 is a little marginal as a defensive round, however. I much prefer 9mm. I'd rather have a 125 grain bullet going at 1200 fps than a 90 grain bullet going 1000 fps. Now that I have a Kahr MK9 in 9mm which is about the same size as the PPK, I prefer to use that as my minimal semiauto gun. Here are the two together, showing relative size:

KahrMK9WaltherPPK02.jpg

Creature

I would trust my life to any gun that I personally know to be reliable, which for me is generally three hundred consecutive trouble-free rounds down range.

Bond007

Practice, Practice, Practice....

Modern PPK's seem to be hit or miss with some people. My experience has found the following problems:

1 - Magazines: There are lots of cheap and older versions available, but the factory magazines work best.

2 - Ammo: I generally use WWB at the range, but it creates feed problems about 15-20% of the time in my PPK/s. Using Federal's round nose ammo or almost any HP have solved the problem of the ammo catching on the feed ramp.

3 - Limp Wristing: The blow back action and full stainless steel design can feel brutal to new shooters, and I've found they experience more failures than others. A firm grip high up the beavertail (watching to ensure no slide-bite) works well.

Ever since working these problems out, I have experienced no failures at all. So keep practicing and if you don't run into any problems I would have no problem trusting it.

ppkstm5.jpg

I most definitely would. My PPK has never had so much as a FTF. It is a solid and reliable firearm that doesn't seem to have a bad history of needing repaired and has been around for many decades. (and a lot of those old ones are still around and still going bang)

It also has the benefit of being one of the few semi-autos that I am completely comfortable with since it is very much like a revolver. Striker fired SA semi-autos make me a bit nervous but the PPK's DA/SA design is something I really like.

I will admit that I do not really carry one these days, but that is because I have too many other lighter options in higher calibers.

saltydog452

OOps, I forgot something.

If you carry the PPK, use the dang safety. I know its backward and awkward to dis-engage.

sd.

STAGE 2

You bet. The PPK is a great carry piece. The weight and heft that some like to complain about comes in real handy when shooting .380 out of a blowback pistol.

I think many problems that people have can be attributed to the many forgiving brands of pistols out there. Newer designs, especially tupperware, are more forgiving to neglect. The PPK likes lube and lots of it. As long as you care for it as it was meant to be cared for, it will run as long as your hand will last.