Would You Sell A S&W Model 17-8 To Buy An Earlier Model 17?

Joe_Pike

I bought a used S&W model 17-8 in the box three or four years ago. It's the one with the bead blast finish and the aluminum 10 shot cylinder. I bought it on a whim because I never see blued model 17s in my area and it wasn't a bad price at the time.

Now, I'm thinking I would like to have a nice blued model 17 or 18. I would have to buy it online as I never see them here and I would have to sell or trade something to do it, probably the 17-8.

I know it's up to me, but I'm just curious to know what some of you would do.

highpower3006

I'd sell it in a New York minute in order to buy an earlier Model 17, but only if I was looking to buy a five screw model.

Here's a little something to whet your appetite: 1948 one line K22 Masterpiece.

IMG0973-XL.jpg

Winchester_73

I probably would if I could only have one. The price of early 17s and K-22s is going up up up My newest is a 17-3. 4 of these are K-22s.

GEDC1105.jpg

Hal

Would You Sell A S&W Model 17-8 To Buy An Earlier Model 17?
Yep - 10 times faster than it took me to type this...
I despised my 617 10 shot w/it's cheap crap looking frosted sstainless steel finish.
I dumped it w/in a short period of time after buying it.

I stumbled onto a nice pair of older 17's not too long after that.

Where abouts are you located?
I've been thinking of selling the 17's since I don't use them at all.

JimPage

I have a K22 from the early 1930 - 1935 according to the serial number. It's the best trigger I have ever tried and it is nail driver. (As much as a 22lr will drive a nail :)

Has some holster wear on the end of the barrel, a few spots of wear from past rust, Love that gun, but it's about time to sell, I think. :(

I have perfectly beautiful 1948 K22, but recentl;y got an oppportunity to buy a 1953 version that has some light rust and pinprick pitting here and there, with some additona bluing wear. Still solid as a rock, and found it to be even more accurate than the older one. It has now become my favorite .22, as I can take it anywhere and not worry about scarring up a pristine gun. I heartily recommend finding a slightly used, older one, so you can do the same, and shoot the hell out of it.

22-rimfire

Kind of a tough decision for me. I would lean toward somehow keeping what you have and getting a Model 18. I find that I simply shoot the 4" revolvers more.